Any GPS experts here?

a voice-announcing system

I don't like it when I hear some beep, but I don't know what it's for. Is the cell phone low on batteries, does the microwave need attention, is the Tivo running out of space?

On our computers, I've changed all the alerts to meaningful text. At least for them, I'll hear "A device has been connected" instead of some mysterious bloop.

I'm thinking Sam Kinison...
Great idea!! Gosh, I can hear him now:
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo!!!!!!! You should have turned LLLLLLEEEEEFFFFFTTTT!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAggggghhhh!!!!!!!!

I think it's perfect for whatever car our teen is driving...

OK, the revival of this tread has gotten me off dead center and I've replaced my 5 year old Garmin Ique - which wasn't easy, as I paid $500 for it and I still feel like it should last forever. :LOL:

A recent trip from Michigan to North Carolina found me too often driving through open fields on the GPS screen, indicating that the map data base was waaaay old. I just about had myself talked into a refurbished Magellan on Amazon that responded to voice commands <"Magellan, nearest coffee!">, with Bluetooth and AAA data base when I decided to scrutinize the reviews and found a large percentage were smoldering mad over reliability issues and Magellan customer service - or lack of.

So bottom line, I popped for a refurbished Garmin 255W. Less bells and whistles, but it has a one year warranty and a reasonably happy customer feedback record. At $130, it doesn't feel like a huge risk.

So bottom line, I popped for a refurbished Garmin 255W. Less bells and whistles, but it has a one year warranty and a reasonably happy customer feedback record. At $130, it doesn't feel like a huge risk.

Annnddd . . . unless the device fails, you can update the maps at a reasonable price at the GPS Store. I've had mine 3 years, only updated maps once so far.

-- Rita

Annnddd . . . unless the device fails, you can update the maps at a reasonable price at the GPS Store. I've had mine 3 years, only updated maps once so far.

-- Rita

Ironically, I could update the map base on the Ique, but the cost is a large percentage of the cost of a much newer device. Such is the price of technology - yesterday's high tech wonder is tomorrow's door stop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom