Any Problems Having a Chase Checking Account?

PatrickA5

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In my simplification process, I'm down to two financial institutions:

Fidelity - CMA, all retirement accounts, Elan credit card.

Chase - several credit cards.

I'm thinking of splitting into two institutions by having a B&M bank for all normal cash transactions such as paying bills, cash needs, etc. This would leave Fidelity as my retirement/investing institution. I kind of like the idea of splitting the everyday stuff from the investing.

So, since I already have Chase credit cards, does anyone know of any major problems with having Chase as a checking account? There's a $300 bonus and I don't think I'd probably end up with any fees either. Obviously, I wouldn't leave more cash than needed on a monthly basis since it pays nothing in interest.

I kind of like the idea of having an actual physical bank - like I had for decades.

I like having a physical bank and physical brokers.

I've had a Chase checking account for years and, at least here in Arizona, they have a lot of B&M branches. They even have two in the Sedona area! Quite happy with them and yes, the bonus to open an account was what attracted me too! Free notary service which came in handy when we sold DH's car and needed the notary service on a Saturday.

We've had a Chase checking account ever since they bought WaMu who had bought Home Fed. The only problem we've ever had was that they didn't send me a new debit card when mine expired because I hadn't used it for a year during the pandemic. When I went into the branch and inquired about it, they were able to see the reason and explain it and order me a new one.

We also have a Chase credit card, and everything shows up on one screen when we login to their online portal.

Fidelity also has branch offices though. Is there not one near you?

I've had a Chase checking account for about seven years, and never a problem. The folks at our local branch are friendly and helpful, and it's nice to have a notary available when we need one.

I also have four credit cards managed by Chase, and it's easy to see all of them at once on their website. I just pick the one I want to manage to get the details.

If you're a veteran, you can get your account set up for no service fee, no minimum balance, free cashier's checks, etc.

We've had a Chase checking account ever since they bought WaMu who had bought Home Fed. The only problem we've ever had was that they didn't send me a new debit card when mine expired because I hadn't used it for a year during the pandemic. When I went into the branch and inquired about it, they were able to see the reason and explain it and order me a new one.

We also have a Chase credit card, and everything shows up on one screen when we login to their online portal.

Yes, there is a Fidelity branch about 10 miles. There are probably 5 Chase branches between there. Having said that, having a branch was one of the reasons we moved our money from VG to Fidelity a few years ago. I wanted someplace for DW to go and talk to an actual human in person.

There are a few things a B&M bank can do that a Fidelity branch can't - mainly cash transactions and cashiers checks. But, I haven't really had a need for either in a long time.

The main reason that I'm considering Chase over other banks and CU's is I log into Chase online almost daily due to having several credit cards. Adding a checking account wouldn't add anymore logins.

I have had a Chase checking account since my account was converted from Washington Mutual at the time of their collapse back in 2008. Never had a single problem.

Fidelity B&M locations are not banks... they will not do banking things...

I went with my sister to open a new account and they said they do not take any cash... did very little on helping her also... had her log into her account and had her do the work... they did take her check though...

Chase has been our brick and mortar bank for decades. Haven't ever had issues. Some branches have closed but still have one within 2 miles.

Used to have both savings and checking there when the savings acct actually paid something. Moved our savings to Ally maybe 10 years ago.

Chase app is great. I can see our checking, my disabled daughters checking I manage and our Amazon chase CC. Rarely need to go into bank but service is good when I do.
I have our monthly SS checks deposited into Chase checking that negates the monthly charge.
Our IRAs withdrawals from Fidelity flow seamlessly to Chase monthly.

I'm not sure how Chase is making much off of our few thousand I keep there but hope our setup continues as is.

30 years here with Chase and predecessors. Never had a problem and if you are a veteran, the checking account is free.

Chase has been great for us. We have both personal and business checking accounts plus several credit cards and appreciate the instant transfers between accounts.

Their free Notary service has also come in handy many times. Another benefit is the ability to cash out third party debit cards at no cost.

That said, I have no desire to consolidate and we value our ETrade checking, savings, and investment accounts. The Chase savings account is worthless. Online banks pay substantially higher interest.

I have no problems with chase, but they lost my business when they charged me $30 to receive a domestic wire Deposit. Sure, I expected it to send a wire transfer, but to receive one?

I know, it was disclosed in their fees, but other banks don't do that. And of course by the time I found out, it was too late.

I got my chase account the same way as someone up thread. I had my mortgage with American savings, bought out by WaMu, bought out by chase.
I love chase and have had no problems with them. I also have an account with the local credit union but I much prefer my chase account.

I don't care for the mortgage servicing. I dealt with an inherited property and I could never get them to take the loan out of the decedent's name. No matter what documentation we supplied, it was not to their liking. This went on for over a decade, until the property was sold.

The bank is fine, no problems. There is a guy at the local branch who has been helpful on multiple occasions. He's been there over 10 years. The array of credit cards is the best, and I have benefitted from bonuses for opening accounts several times.

I open Chase accounts for the bonuses. I close them so that I can be eligible for subsequent bonus. I generally try not to have deposit accounts at banks where I have credit cards. If everything falls apart, they can just pull that money on their own. It seem safer to split them up.

I haven't had a B&M bank account since the 80s. I used to bank by mail with USAA, then online, and now I've moved most of my banking to Fidelity. I do have a Chase Amazon Visa for the 5% cash back on Amazon purchases. The only reason I've even thought about opening a local bank account is to have a safety deposit box. And after my in-person experiences with trying to transfer inherited accounts at Citibank and BoA, I'm even happier with my decision to stay away from B&M banks, as they were much harder to deal with than the ones I dealt with online and/or by phone and fax.

We have had Chase in NYC for almost 10 years, mostly because they are the closest bank an dthey have branches all over the city. Any rare tiny problems (an iphone-deposited check not appearing, for example) were quickly, easily, and courteously solved, also the one big problem (someone got into our account, how we don't know) and took $1800, which was replaced. They do send us periodic solicitations to be Private Client customers, but we ignore. Also have two credit cards from them.

When I pulled my money out of vanguard I gave it to chase .

I let them baby sit my vanguard funds and got private client status plus all the bonus money .

Plus an extra 10k points for having a sapphire reserve card .

While 90% of our money is with fidelity , I use chase for paying just about all bills

Chase has been great for us. We have both personal and business checking accounts plus several credit cards and appreciate the instant transfers between accounts.

Their free Notary service has also come in handy many times. Another benefit is the ability to cash out third party debit cards at no cost.

That said, I have no desire to consolidate and we value our ETrade checking, savings, and investment accounts. The Chase savings account is worthless. Online banks pay substantially higher interest.

Both of our local BM locations also offer Medallion guarantee service as well. Our credit union still offers notary service but not Medallion. We signed up online about 5 years ago and all of our bill pay is handled through Chase online.

Been good with Chase for 2 decades.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom