Any tasty low carb bread products?

Carbs are not the enemy for most folks.
Saturated fats, Refined Sugar and portion sizes are.

Your body needs carbohydrates, fats, protein, along with certain vitamins, minerals, and water.

Very few people can actually visually set a correct serving size on their plate.
One slice of bread, not two, is a serving. (paying attention to the thickness of the slice)
Cheese the size of a domino is a serving
1/2 cup of cooked rice or pasta is a serving.
Meat the size of a deck of cards is a serving.

Most people plop way more than that on their plate.

I use Carbonaut white or seeded (we prefer the seeded) to make french toast. I am gluten-intolerant and my husband is diabetic. It is only 1g per slice, depending on which bread that you choose. The trick which I learned quickly is to not soak the bread in the custard mix. Because the bread is super soft, you need soft quick hands, otherwise it tears. I get my pan ready, quick dip on each side and put onto the pan. It works very well. We eat french toast alot! Once it is cooked, it is no longer soft and falls apart like when it is wet. If you don't need low carbs, there are better gluten-free bread options to make french toast. However, I love eating this because it is low carb and low calories and it is also super satisfying. We usually have 4 slices of french toast for each of us.

My husband loves the Carbonaut hamburger buns. They have both the gluten and gluten-free versions.
Thanks, we are in the same boat as you and your DH, as I am also diabetic.

Nope, Carbs are the enemy for high sugar in your blood, because carbs turn to sugar almost immediately.
The only way to reverse pre-diabetic situations is to cut carb and sugar - they are one and the same. Rice, potato - oppps, very high glycemic index.
The OP said he needs to lower his A1C and that means remove all carbs possible.
I was in his situation once. Remove the carb and the blood sugar drops and you're fine.

Your body needs carbohydrates, fats, protein, along with certain vitamins, minerals, and water.

Very few people can actually visually set a correct serving size on their plate.
One slice of bread, not two, is a serving. (paying attention to the thickness of the slice)

Last edited:

Nope, Carbs are the enemy for high sugar in your blood, because carbs turn to sugar almost immediately.
The only way to reverse pre-diabetic situations is to cut carb and sugar - they are one and the same. Rice, potato - oppps, very high glycemic index.
The OP said he needs to lower his A1C and that means remove all carbs possible.
I was in his situation once. Remove the carb and the blood sugar drops and you're fine.

Yeah, I find the idea that food we evolved on and thrived on (for hundreds of thousands of years) is considered "bad", amazing.

Your body does NOT need any carbs from diet. It treats ingested carbs nearly the same as alcohol and works very hard to get the glucose out of the bloodstream, asap. There is no such thing as "essential carbs" (essential meaning the body cannot synthesize them and must get them from external sources). There ARE essential fats/vitamins and proteins, which come from meat/animal products.

If you eat a proper human diet, ie meat, portion sizes are not a concern. Your body knows how to tell you when enough is enough. Not so with sugar/carbs and ultra-palatable foods.

Night shades (potatoes), bananas, most modern fruits and vegetables, seed (labeled "vegetable") oils, and everything sold in a cardboard box didn't exist in our diet until quite recently (150 years ago or less). The same goes for grains, rice, soybeans and corn on a slightly longer time line (15k years).

We are built to primarily live off of fatty meat. Our gut (large and small intestine lengths), stomach acid (ph 1.5) and teeth are all built to eat meat. Our teeth rot our of our mouths and we need fluoride in the water because we aren't built to eat sugar/carbs regularly.

So yes, carbs are the enemy IMHO.

Getting back to french toast, if you like maple syrup, which I don't, look for Birch Benders Keto Maple Syrup. No sugar and it is sweetened with Monk fruit. 1g net carb per 2 tablespoons. It is awfully sweet and I don't like sweet stuff in general. My husband uses a little of it with his french toast.

Last edited:
MOD NOTE:
What we should eat is a completely different topic and has a very wide range of opinions on it. None of which are relevant to this thread. Let's please not bite off more than we can chew here.

Try Arnold's Keto Bread. 8 Grams fiber, 11 Grams carbs, no sugar. Its satisfying.

The 11 grams of carbs are broken down into simple sugars in your mouth and stomach (wheat bread has a slightly higher glycemic index value than table sugar) . So really it's 8 grams of fiber (which your body doesn't need or use) and 11 grams of sugar.

The 11 grams of carbs are broken down into simple sugars in your mouth and stomach (wheat bread has a slightly higher glycemic index value than table sugar) . So really it's 8 grams of fiber (which your body doesn't need or use) and 11 grams of sugar.

I read the label of this bread and it really is only 3g net carbs. 8g fiber. Not bad.

One warning is that some of the labels are wrong, and the only way that you know for sure if it is correct is to eat it and track your blood sugar an hour, 2 hours, 4 hours and also the morning after. We have found that some of the small unknown brands have fake labeling. My husband used to order low carb food from a site called Netrition. Many of the products that claimed to be very low carb were not.

We stick with Carbonaut because it is tried and true in our household.

Last edited:
You need to wear a CGI when trying out supposed low carb products!

One of our changes with low-carb was avoiding highly processed foods and a lot of supposedly keto products fall in that category. It certainly helps avoid the booby traps.

Dave's Killer Breads usually are net low carb (carb minus fiber).
I have reasonable luck finding them on the supermarket shelves or in walmart-so they arent rare.

Dont taste too bad either !

Dave's Killer Breads usually are net low carb (carb minus fiber).
I have reasonable luck finding them on the supermarket shelves or in walmart-so they arent rare.

Dont taste too bad either !

Too many carbs for diabetics: Net 17 g carbs, 5 g fiber.

I read the label of this bread and it really is only 3g net carbs. 8g fiber. Not bad.

One warning is that some of the labels are wrong, and the only way that you know for sure if it is correct is to eat it and track your blood sugar an hour, 2 hours, 4 hours and also the morning after. We have found that some of the small unknown brands have fake labeling. My husband used to order low carb food from a site called Netrition. Many of the products that claimed to be very low carb were not.

We stick with Carbonaut because it is tried and true in our household.

Ah, yes thanks for the correction. I misread the post. It's 3 grams of carbs which are really sugar by the time they hit your small intestine.

One of our changes with low-carb was avoiding highly processed foods and a lot of supposedly keto products fall in that category. It certainly helps avoid the booby traps.

My way of thinking too. Except for the occasional protein bar snack :whistle:

Yesterdays leftovers for breakfast work well for me. Or a protein waffle if no leftovers.

The trickest situations are when you stay with family or friends. Then I usually make my protein waffles before I leave. Or as a last resort buy a keto loaf.

This thread is not about keto diet, i.e. getting your body into ketosis. Ketosis has its own problems.

For me, low carbs, low fats and moderate/higher protein works. My PCP called my lab numbers "Perfect".

Ah, yes thanks for the correction. I misread the post. It's 3 grams of carbs which are really sugar by the time they hit your small intestine.

3g is nothing, we all need to live on some carbs.

Sure that's a fairly low amount, but my point was it's sugar to your body. Labeling something 'complex carbs' and trying to separate them from sugar is nonsense.

Photos of crates of "Keto" stuff at costco, typically with one bag obviously picked up and turned over to read the actual stats are a bit of a meme.

IE, if they call it Keto, the actual carb and sugar counts are way out of the range that anyone would really consider.

Photos of crates of "Keto" stuff at costco, typically with one bag obviously picked up and turned over to read the actual stats are a bit of a meme.

IE, if they call it Keto, the actual carb and sugar counts are way out of the range that anyone would really consider.
Definitely see that!

Back
Top Bottom