Any tips for removing tree sap from a car?

caninelover

Full time employment: Posting here.
Parked under a tree and noticed a few drops of dried sap :facepalm: (mostly on the windshield but some on the hood of the car). Any tips for removing?

When I get pine sap on my hands or clothes I dissolve it with alcohol. Try in on paint in an inconspicuous spot before trying anywhere else.

Great, thanks - I'll try the WD40 first; if not - will go to the alcohol...

Thanks.

You'll want to get it off pretty quick. Tree sap can be bad news for the car's paint job. It will eat into the clear coat resulting in what looks like water spots.

Spray the spots with WD40, let sit for 5-10 minutes, wash with soap & water.

Who knew? I have many trees around and over the driveway and this tip will come in handy. Thanks.

I use bug and tar remover but have used WD40 from time to time.

I'd use an alcohol based cleaner or some bug and sap remover with a soft towel so you don't scratch the paint. On the windshield just use a razor blade if its dried up or the cleaner and a razor blade if it's not. Fine steel wool works well for the final clean up on the windshield. Make sure to keep a nice coat of wax or polymeric shielding or your car so it won't eat into the paint so much. Hope it helps...

I leaned against a tree to take a nap once and got sap in my hair. Rubbing a gob of peanut butter in my hair and then taking a hot shower got it all out nice and easy.

Smelling it made me have to scarf down a massive peanut butter sandwich when I got out of the shower though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom