Anyone here get a UK Pension?

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I get a small UK pension. The UK does not send me any tax information. I usually claim it as general Misc. income on our tax return. It gets taxed as regular income as opposed to SS income.

I was wondering what other folks in the same situation do.

I get a small UK pension. The UK does not send me any tax information. I usually claim it as general Misc. income on our tax return. It gets taxed as regular income as opposed to SS income.

I was wondering what other folks in the same situation do.

Same here. It goes under 'other income'. I've heard of people producing synthetic 1099s, but I can't see the point in doing that.

I get a small UK pension. .....

Based on the Canada - USA tax treaty, (which may not correlate in any way).
There are different types of pensions, and knowing which type helps to find the rules.
  1. Pension is "like" SS - gov't based on earnings.
  2. Pension is based on being a UK citizen and not work. (everyone gets it if lived there long enough)
  3. Pension is from a job.

I have been receiving UK private pensions for 17 years and I report as retirement/pension income in the usual place, using a substitute 1099-R with form 4852. The explanation I put on each form (line 10) states that this is a UK pension and the company does not issue a US style 1099R.

At the end of the day as long as the income is taxed as regular income it doesn’t really matter where it is reported.

When using TurboTax, to get it to e-file I enter the employer TIN as 99-123456.

ETA, these days I get 3 UK pensions and my wife gets 1.

Thanks, I am currently using FreeTaxUSA and it does not have a 4852, so it will have to go under Misc.

I have been receiving UK private pensions for 17 years and I report as retirement/pension income in the usual place, using a substitute 1099-R with form 4852. The explanation I put on each form (line 10) states that this is a UK pension and the company does not issue a US style 1099R.

At the end of the day as long as the income is taxed as regular income it doesn’t really matter where it is reported.

When using TurboTax, to get it to e-file I enter the employer TIN as 99-123456.

ETA, these days I get 3 UK pensions and my wife gets 1.

Thanks, What do you use for your ID Number, your UK or US SIN?

I found TurboTax Deluxe for $30 so I purchased it.

Thanks, What do you use for your ID Number, your UK or US SIN?

Not sure what you mean by a UK or US SIN.

On the substitute 1099R (form 4852) I use my US SSN in box 2 and 99-123456 in box 6 (“Payer’s TIN, if known”). The IRS don’t care about the TIN just TurboTax.

Not sure what you mean by a UK or US SIN.

On the substitute 1099R (form 4852) I use my US SSN in box 2 and 99-123456 in box 6 (“Payer’s TIN, if known”). The IRS don’t care about the TIN just TurboTax.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom