Anyone living in Thailand?

emmaswan

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hello everyone!

Any chance there is someone who is living in Thailand long-term?

I'm exploring this option for the future and would be curious to hear about moving from the US, experiences living in Thailand, and finding an apartment/whether I could withdraw money from a US bank account/etc.

Hello everyone!

I'm exploring this option for the future and would be curious to hear about moving from the US, experiences living in Thailand, and finding an apartment/whether I could withdraw money from a US bank account/etc.

IIRC martyp has posted on his living in Thailand.

I usually contact the expat community in my area of interest.

Hello everyone!

Yes. I moved to Thailand in 2017. I lived in Bangkok for 6 years. I am married to a Thai woman. We built a house in Sisaket province in 2022 and moved here 4 months ago. So I know about city life and country life.

I came on an OA visa but recently switched to a 10 year Long Term Resident visa. I know a bit about the visa options and can direct you to some resources.

Regarding your specific question about banks. I have US bank accounts into which are deposited my work pension and my Social Security. I use Bank of America and I wire transfer money to my Thai bank, Kasikorn.

Feel free to ask questions. If we keep the discussion on this public post then others can access the information as well but if you want to direct message me you can do that also.

My husband and I are nomads, but we have done some long stays in Thailand. We have had no problems withdrawing money at ATMs from our U.S. bank accounts, although you may want to get an account with a bank that will reimburse your ATM fees because if I remember correctly, they can be expensive (like an account with Charles Schwab, etc.). We have normally stayed in Airbnbs or hotels, but one time we did rent an apartment in Chiang Mai for 5 months and we used an agency to find the apartment and that went smoothly.

I have been in Bangkok for a year. Renting a condo can be hard. There is no MLS and many ads (most?) are expired or click bait used in bait and switch. Realtors are not licensed...it is a free for all.

It is hard to understand who is offering rentals: a legitimate person or a fake owner leasing an airbnb they rented for a week.

To rent an apartment you MUST be here and MUST pay 2 months deposit and first months rent up front. When you hand over 3 months rent in cash you may wonder if that cheery agent is a real agent or a fake. Time will tell.

Also, understand that only the Thai language lease is legally valid...not an english one.

I stayed at hotels for a month until I found a place that would accept me. I was refused at two places because I did not have a work permit (I am retired so no work permit). I found my place by walking around the area I wanted to live and asking expats. I met a British guy who introduced me to the leasing agent in his building which is now my building.

By far the best way is to have a Thai friend find a good place; this will allow you to get the Thai price and a legit lease. Otherwise you will pay the higher foreigner price.

Buyer and renter beware

I have been in Bangkok for a year. Renting a condo can be hard...

Snip..

By far the best way is to have a Thai friend find a good place; this will allow you to get the Thai price and a legit lease. Otherwise you will pay the higher foreigner price.

Buyer and renter beware

Our son lives near chiang rai, our last visit we wanted to buy he and his thai wife a new scooter. We sent her in solo to negotiate the price before we let the seller know that it was American visitors funding the transaction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom