Anyone travel to Nicaragua?

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DS's buddy is marrying a Nicaragaun girl, and the wedding will be done there. He is planning to attend. Reading the US gov't warnings about travel there makes me think this is not good idea. Anyone have any recent travel experience/advice?

Governments always warn against traveling to any country it seems :)

In some cases they are right (Iraq, Syria) but frequently they overplay the risk.

Governments always warn against traveling to any country it seems :)

In some cases they are right (Iraq, Syria) but frequently they overplay the risk.

Yes, I know that and thats why I'm asking if anyone can provide some actual experience

I went there to surf a while back. Seemed fine to me.

I spent 3 weeks there in Dec. 2013.

I had heard that Managua can be/is rough, so I basically caught a taxi to/from the airport and avoided Managua entirely.

The rest of the country I visited (Granada, Masaya, Ometepe, San Juan del Sur, etc.) was fine.

I got the recommended tetanus (DPT) shot beforehand.

omni

Last edited:
Worse case, the Government was right. What have you got to lose, vs. gain?

I bought a bullet proof vest a while back, just in case. I 'knew' I want going to get shot, but I knew if the worst happened, I would be better off with it on.

An airplane is one of the safest modes of transportation, but when you look out the window and it’s your plane that just had an engine fall off, it becomes one of the most dangerous.

For what it's worth, I hear it's easier for the girl to get a Fiancé visa first, and then come to the USA and get married within 90 days. Getting married in another country slows the citizenship/green card thing down considerably. Your buddy should look at that aspect too.

I spent 3 weeks there in Dec. 2013.

I had heard that Managua can be/is rough, so I basically caught a taxi to/from the airport and avoided Managua entirely.

The rest of the country I visited (Granada, Masaya, Ometepe, San Juan del Sur, etc.) was fine.

I got the recommended tetanus (DPT) shot beforehand.

omni

Thanks for that info

For what it's worth, I hear it's easier for the girl to get a Fiancé visa first, and then come to the USA and get married within 90 days. Getting married in another country slows the citizenship/green card thing down considerably. Your buddy should look at that aspect too.

The fiancé is already a US citizen, but her family is in Nicaragua and the wedding will be there.

Wait, I thought it was Horrid based on our News

Aren't all these kids escaping from Nicaraqua? What's the real situation:confused:?

Aren't all these kids escaping from Nicaraqua? What's the real situation:confused:?
No, they're mainly coming from Honduras, El Salvador, & Guatemala. Some from those countries are actually seeking asylum in Nicaragua (and in Mexico, Costa Rica, & Panama). Meanwhile, quite a few Nicaraguans have gone to Costa Rica over a period of many years.

In early March I was in Nicaragua visiting family. If you are hesitant or anxious just stay close to your buddy and their family as you travel about. Common sense prevails as everywhere else.

If the couple to be married are reasonable people and they hold their wedding there then they have the expectation that none of their guests will be put in harms way. Trust the locals, and learn to surf while you're there.

I have several friends who have traveled there. It is a beautiful place and I am sure the wedding will be an awesome experience.
There is nothing quite like the hospitality you can enjoy when visiting another country for such a celebration where the family can show off features of their culture, food, and surroundings to appreciative visitors.

I worked in Nicaragua one week per month from 2010 to 2012. I spent most of my time in and around Managua, staying at the Managua Hilton. I found Nicaragua to be much safer than El Salvador and Honduras. I was never afraid but I never went out in the city alone at night.

The country is poor and there is low level corruption. A stop by the police for a traffic violation will go away for $20 or sometimes less.

The people are hard working and friendly. The only guns I ever saw were in the hands of the police and soldiers. Be aware of your surroundings, travel in groups, and you should be okay.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Thanks everyone for the input. It may not be as dangerous as I was envisioning, as I was guilty of lumping Nicaragua in with El Salvadore, Guatamala and Hondurus

I haven't been but if you or your son are going, can you get me some Centenario 25 rum from the Flor de Cana distillery in Chichigalpa ? :cool:

I've tried the 12 year old, so the 25 year old must be twice as good... right ?!

Simple 3rd world rule

If bananas grow there, stay a very short time, in only high class hotels or resorts, and get out pronto.

Coffee culture is almost as good predictor, but bananas are best.

Hawaii is exempted.

Ha

If bananas grow there, stay a very short time, in only high class hotels or resorts, and get out pronto.

Coffee culture is almost as good predictor, but bananas are best.

Hawaii is exempted.

Ha
That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with, Mr. Ha. Bananas grow in just about every tropical zone in the world.

Jesus, Ha--put down the curmudgeon juice!

They grow bananas in Belize and it is a great place, with no more crime than what you'd find anywhere else. And also of course grown in the Bahamas as well.

Seattle must be putting more than fluoride in the tap water! :)

That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with, Mr. Ha. Bananas grow in just about every tropical zone in the world.
Aha, I see you have broken the code! Very clever!

Nicaragua is an interesting case. It was occupied by the US Marines during roughly 1912-1933. (Part of a wider conflict known as the Banana Wars.) From what I have read it was a bloody and unpopular occupation, culminating in an all out guerilla war with rebel leader Augusto Cesar Sandino. Those of us who were voting age in the 80s will remember the putatively communist rebel group the Sandinistas, named after old Augusto. And of course the long confusing story of the Contras who battled valiantly to make the country safe for dictators.

I suppose it is possible that Nicaraguans have unusually short memories, but that would be a first. Visit, but as I mentioned above, bananas mean vete pronto gringo.

Ha

Jesus, Ha--put down the curmudgeon juice!

They grow bananas in Belize and it is a great place, with no more crime than what you'd find anywhere else. And also of course grown in the Bahamas as well.

Seattle must be putting more than fluoride in the tap water! :)
No one swore me to avoiding hyperbole. Surely anyone can recognize hyperbolic humor. Wait, I take that back. Anyway, ifs s/he likes bananas or banana republics they will not be deterred by my ideas. I am not a virgin in some of these areas, and for the most part they would not be high on my go again soon list. But as is often said on the internet, ymmv.

Ha

Last edited:
Banana republic? It's been a while since I last heard that term.

Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Mexico. They are rich in history and culture, wonderful travel destinations, and excellent options for expat living. Brazil in particular has the vote of confidence of FIFA and the IOC and between the two will have a couple of million visitors.

On the other side of the pond we have India and China, just as rich in culture and history. I'm not sure about living in India (my BIL did for a few years) but China sure is a prized expat location for many Europeans and makes for a wonderful travel itinerary.

I leave African countries out because I have no personal (or family) knowledge of them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom