Anyone use a Social Security advising service?

Floridatennisplayer

Recycles dryer sheets
I stopped into 2 different SSA offices today [mod edit]

Both offices were packed [mod edit]

Not going to deal with that. I have a few different scenarios that I need answers to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't seem to get a straight answer from SSA. My wife and I are both 62 and I have made considerably more money than her as she has always been part time. Our original plan was to take Social Security at age 65 to match Medicare starting and she would claim half of my Social Security which would be quite a bit more than hers alone.

It looks like her part-time job is being phased out so she asked if she should go ahead and claim Social Security now and if she did that would she be able to revert to 50% of mine at age 65. One person at the Social Security administration told me yes that is available another one told me no and a third one told me that we both need to file now and for me to suspend and then when I turn 65 activate it.

I don't want to screw something up so I thought about trying one of those SS consulting companies to try and get a straight answer.

Can't seem to get a straight answer from SSA. My wife and I are both 62 and I have made considerably more money than her as she has always been part time. Our original plan was to take Social Security at age 65 to match Medicare starting and she would claim half of my Social Security which would be quite a bit more than hers alone.

It looks like her part-time job is being phased out so she asked if she should go ahead and claim Social Security now and if she did that would she be able to revert to 50% of mine at age 65. One person at the Social Security administration told me yes that is available another one told me no and a third one told me that we both need to file now and for me to suspend and then when I turn 65 activate it.

I don't want to screw something up so I thought about trying one of those SS consulting companies to try and get a straight answer.

As I understand it, under the scenario that you described, if she claims now at 62 she will get the benefit based on her own work record now and when you start your benefits at your FRA she will get a bump up. However, she will not receive half of your benefit because she started her benefits early (before her FRA), she'll get 50% of your FRA benefit discounted for the fact that she started her benefits at 62... I'm guessing it'll probably be about 37% of your FRA benefit.

However, you can use SS Analyze to look at each alternative and that would give you a better idea. YMMV.

PB4USKi is correct. SS site:
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/1943.html
If you start receiving benefits as a spouse at your full retirement age, you will get 50% of the monthly benefit your spouse would receive if their benefits started at full retirement age. If you start receiving benefits at age 62, you will get 35% of the monthly benefit instead of 50% because you will be getting benefits for an additional 48 months.

As I understand it, under the scenario that you described, if she claims now at 62 she will get the benefit based on her own work record now and when you start your benefits at your FRA she will get a bump up. However, she will not receive half of your benefit because she started her benefits early (before her FRA), she'll get 50% of your FRA benefit discounted for the fact that she started her benefits at 62... I'm guessing it'll probably be about 37% of your FRA benefit.

However, you can use SS Analyze to look at each alternative and that would give you a better idea. YMMV.

To do this, do I also have to file now and then suspend? Or just wait until 65?

File and suspend no longer exists for couples your (and my) age. She will not start getting your spousal increase to her benefit until you file.

What does SSAnalyze say for each alternative? That is the "service" that you are looking for, but it is free.

Is "file and suspend" dead for everyone who has not started yet? I'm 64 and thought I could do it at 66 1/2 but I think that option is gone.

Thanks,
Looks like I wait and the spouse takes hers at 62. No use worrying about that strategy anymore.
As long as your DW is ok with reduced benefits for life that works but I think it is suboptimal. What does SSAnalyze say?

Here's an interesting story on one man's experience with a SS advisory service and his personal opinion on when to take SS:

https://www.creators.com/read/your-...y&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=subscriptions

Bold emphasis is mine.

Assuming you and your wife will live into your mid-80s or beyond, you probably would be financially ahead to delay taking your Social Security benefits until 70. The point I made five years ago, and that I am making to you now, is that maybe it isn't necessary to fret so much over maximizing your Social Security benefits. If you are tired of working, and if you can afford to retire at 62, do it! Maybe there is more to life than money.

At the back of the room, one of the planners was trying to get my attention. He made a throat-cutting gesture with his finger signaling me to stop talking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom