Asking For A Friend - Schwab

Wow, 8-12 funds in a single IRA seems like a lot.

I'm somewhat surprised that Schwab and/or the robob advisor didn't consider tax efficiency and load the tIRA with bonds up to the bond allocation and then put stocks in the Roth and in the tIRA if there was room after the bond allocation was completed. That is a pretty basic thing.
My point exactly. You get what you get, certainly with the right Schwab consultant you could get a more nuanced asset placement, but may not by using their Intelligent portfolios.

Robo advisors IMO are a 'thing.' Everyone has them. An alternative to set and forget without getting in complex slicing and dicing are Target Retirement funds. Here's Morniningstar's commentary on Schwab Target 2055 Index. Also an alternative to consider. See the article for assessment.
https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/swyjx/quote

- Rita

Late to the thread, but a long-time Schwab client. We have a mix of standard and Intelligent accounts with them. The way I look at the cash in the robo accounts is it serves as a back-door fee. At least that’s the impression I get when I see what other people write about Schwab and how they manage to be a low-fee operation everywhere else (they make money off of cash holdings).

Regarding their advisors - Our first ~15 years with Schwab was in a major metropolitan area and the two times we sat down with someone it was obvious they had incentives to sell “managed” products. 10 years ago we moved to a small market and the local office is actually a franchise. This advisor and his team will ‘suggest’ the Intelligent products, but they’ve never pushed anything on us. One of my favorite benefits of having enough money with them is the advisor will walk us through their retirement planning tool (and update it yearly).

Best regards,
Chris

A dear friend of mine is nearing the end of the divorce process and will soon be in possession of a reasonably-sized cash settlement along with some property/business that will likely be sold in the not too distant future. She has no investment experience, nor do I believe she has the interest in learning more than the bare minimum. She has turned to me for advice as she knows I manage my own finances and have done well. She also has other friends advising her. At this point I am afraid she is on the verge of being sucked into a relationship with a Financial Advisor with an Investment/Insurance firm (recommended by a friend). I am trying to find a reasonable alternative for her, knowing that she just wants someone to tell her what to do.

I am looking at the Schwab website and see that they have various "Intelligent" services that might work for her. Because she will be looking for a new home for existing IRA/401(k) as well as a place for the new money, I am thinking she could consolidate all of her assets with Schwab, which would make the Intelligent Income product more useful. I don't really see the cash position or number of positions being much of an issue. Also the $300 one-time + $30/mo for unlimited access to a personal advisor sounds much more reasonable than the price she would pay for hand-holding from the aforementioned Financial Advisor.

I am not willing to get too deep into the weeds of her finances in advising her because I don't really feel qualified. My own financial success comes with a lot more margin to make mistakes than what she will have. I plan to call Schwab today and ask more questions so that I have a better understanding of how the portfolios work before I present my advice to her.

She is 65 and will probably end up with about $1M when all is said and done. I believe her SS will be relatively low and there are no pensions.

Thoughts on this as an alternative?

I would seek out a fee only financial advisor ( like those associated with the Garrett Group) who gives advice only and has an option for her to have the advisor manage her money if she wants him/ her to.

Then she will get a holistic perspective going forward.

Wow, 8-12 funds in a single IRA seems like a lot.
I have a small ($20K) Roth in a Schwab Intelligent Portfolio and the robot has that money spread across 17 ETFs lol.

Here they are: EBND, FNDA, FNDC, FNDE, FNDF, FNDX, HAUZ, IAU, SCHA, SCHC, SCHE, SCHF, SCHH, SCHP, SCHX, VCIT AND VMBS.

About 30% of the portfolio is in SCHX, FNDE and SCHA.

Last edited:
I use this myself and recommend it to my ex, since she is too busy to manage. We both use the Schwab Int Advisor (their version of Robo account). I expect to convert mine to income in another few years. painless and effortless. I like the auto-rebalancing to smooth the investing ride.

Feel free to pass along a recommendation code, it will get your friend extra money. Does nothing for me.

https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/nn/promo/refer-prospect.html?refrid=REFER2XZGGM9H

OP here.... I continue to watch for any updates.

My friend listened to my concerns about the financial advisor and also my recommendation about Schwab. She seemed receptive to at least making an appointment to meet with Schwab, so I feel like I have done as much as I can at this point. Now it is up to her. Whichever path she chooses, I will continue to offer my advice if asked.

Indiajust, thank you for the recommendation code. Who knows? Perhaps it will be just the nudge she needs.

Good Friend

Your friend has a good friend (you). You are doing the right thing. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be "not dumb", and it's not at all. Let us know how it goes.

I have been looking for a financial advisor too. I have had my retirement in Fidelity for around 35 yrs now. Now I am getting ready to retire and need help on how to set things up and maybe manage funds.

So I have been looking at Fidelity, Vanguard, Schwab and other companies. Some of these companies charge 1% fee which would translate of over 10k per year which I consider too much especially when they are using a computer model.

Schwab has so many different fee programs but don't really explain on their website what each of them includes.
Besides that it is hard to find someone that you can trust. The company can have the best intentions but you could get an advisor that is not that great.

So it is stressful just trying to decide.

I have been looking for a financial advisor too. I have had my retirement in Fidelity for around 35 yrs now. Now I am getting ready to retire and need help on how to set things up and maybe manage funds.

So I have been looking at Fidelity, Vanguard, Schwab and other companies. Some of these companies charge 1% fee which would translate of over 10k per year which I consider too much especially when they are using a computer model.

Schwab has so many different fee programs but don't really explain on their website what each of them includes.
Besides that it is hard to find someone that you can trust. The company can have the best intentions but you could get an advisor that is not that great.

From everything that I read Schwab charges for help of a human no matter how you approach them...

Vanguard does have some free help but I think it is very cookie cutter from what I hear from others...

I am trying to get an appointment at Fidelity to see how their free help works... from what my sister said she liked her guy... I had heard some good things also from others when I was working...

Since your question is much like the OP's, the same answer applies. When you require more time, there is a soft limit on how much advice you can get. You also should account for the fact that the company needs to profit.

If you do not have the time to study personal investing, and don't have a solid foundation of knowledge, then you will likely pay an additional fee of some kind to Vanguard, Fidelity or Schwab to make choices and manage your money.

My education consisted of participating at Bogleheads and here, and slowly biting off what I could chew. At this time things are certainly more stressful, and become much more so if one listens to the complexity of a sales message.

I've never paid an extra fee to any institution. My interactions with these companies is not frequent, but my dealings have been significant, especially with Schwab in the past few years, I've never paid a fee other than what's revealed in fund expenses.

From everything that I read Schwab charges for help of a human no matter how you approach them...

Vanguard does have some free help but I think it is very cookie cutter from what I hear from others...

I am trying to get an appointment at Fidelity to see how their free help works... from what my sister said she liked her guy... I had heard some good things also from others when I was working...

Like Target2019 immediately above, Schwab has never charged me a separate fee for any contact/help from a financial advisor. We have a large sum with them, and I know it qualifies us for extra planning sessions each year. But we have yet to have them even suggest we’ve reached the limits for our bundled services.

If we weren’t at that level, I believe their program that costs about $300/year is an excellent value. I do keep in mind they (Schwab) have DIY roots and have become more people focused over the years. It seems like they honestly see that part of the business relationship as now having equal or greater value than the underlying investment products.

Best regards,
Chris

I know nothing of Schwab, but do offer this - some free money for your friend if she can find a Schwab member to recommend her. I'll be doing the same thing in a bit because moving stocks is painless and if it gives me a nice bonus - why not!

https://www.schwab.com/client-referral

Ooops - I see Indiajust beat me to this! I should read more and comment less. Maybe I'll use the referral code offered.

Last edited:
... Schwab has so many different fee programs but don't really explain on their website what each of them includes. ...
All these companies push us to their web sites because it saves them money. I suggest that you not buy into that, assuming you have Fido and Schwab offices nearby. You can schedule visits and sit down with someone. In the happy event that your household assets at the brokerage will exceed a certain point ($1M at Schwab) they will assign a free "permanent" rep to you. Our rep is a great guy with 20 years in the business. If you qualify, ask to talk to the branch manager and describe what you want in a rep; age, sex, experience, investment interests, etc. Interview a couple of candidates. IMO it is more about the person than about the name over the door.

See above.

Just looked... there are 10 consultants at the Schwab office that is closest to us... (about 10 miles)...

Fidelity is about 4 miles but only one VP

Edit... well, looked at the Woodlands and Fidelity has 7 so similar to Schwab...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom