Asset Allocation with CD’s

RetireAge50

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I’ve never had a CD before and was thinking about getting some of the Navy Fed 18 month at 3%.

My new portfolio mix would be 70% stocks, 18% Bonds, 8% CD’s and 4% Money Market. So would you think of this as 70/18/12 or 70/26/4?

On my spreadsheet I'd see it as 70/30. Though I do have a place where I track cash so maybe 70/18/12. I see CDs more like MMs than Bonds but somebody will probably come up with a good justification for 70/26/4. Or how about 70/18/8/4?

Waiting for the justification on 70/26/4.

My justifications are:

70/30 Equities vs non-equities
70/18/12 CDs are cash, like MMs
70/18/8/4 CDs are cash, but not immediately accessible so different than MMs
I guess 70/26/4 is that CDs have a duration and set interest rate like bonds? Assuming they are FDIC I think that guarantee puts them in a different class.

The 4% is liquid cash. The bonds and CD's are fixed income, guarantee does not matter. I don't break out prefunded muni's which are 100% guaranteed. Why would I do it for FDIC?

70/26/4

I’ve never had a CD before and was thinking about getting some of the Navy Fed 18 month at 3%.

My new portfolio mix would be 70% stocks, 18% Bonds, 8% CD’s and 4% Money Market. So would you think of this as 70/18/12 or 70/26/4?

70/26/4.... I view CDs as a akin to a US Treasury Bond... both are "risk-free" and fixed income.

It's not cash because of the EWP.... IOW it can't be converted to cash without the cost of the EWP.

What problem are you trying to solve?

What problem are you trying to solve?

None. Just a random thought for idle chit chat.

I like to have about 75% stocks, 20% Bonds and 5% cash. We got a windfall and are throwing the money into CD’s for now and thus the question.

I always express my AA as equities to everything else. Everything else is fairly stable, but volatility comes from equities.

I always express my AA as equities to everything else. Everything else is fairly stable, but volatility comes from equities.

I am pretty much this way, now. I used to have the same issues, and came to the realization that it just does not matter whether you consider a CD to be a "bond" or "cash". Even our MM accounts are paying 2%, similar to some CD's and some bonds (though on the LOW end). So the only "cash" we have, that is money earning next to nothing at the B&M bank, is less than 1%. Not worth segregating.

Some retirement calculators also effectively use this further differentiation between CD's and cash.

I have basic AA 65/35, but break down equities to large cap, mid and small, and international. Then I break down bonds to cash, us bonds and intl bonds. CDs fit into the cash allocation. With pen fed and navy you can break them out any time and forfeit I think 3 months of earnings so I think of them as cash.

Little difference in rates between bonds & CDs at this time...I'd count them the same.

I guess my distinction is that I own bond funds, which are less like CDs.

Little difference in rates between bonds & CDs at this time...I'd count them the same.

One difference is that a Traditional CD won’t loose value like a bond can. Also no fees like a bond fund or cost to buy and sell. I consider more like cash or MM.

I solved that dilemma years ago by relabeling the "bond" category to "fixed income". Into that category go my bond MFs, CDs and I-Bonds. Problem solved. MMFs and savings accounts in a separate "cash" category (although, strictly speaking, they are also FI.)

One difference is that a Traditional CD won’t loose value like a bond can. Also no fees like a bond fund or cost to buy and sell. I consider more like cash or MM.

Brokered CDs have interest rate risk just like a bond.... bank CDs do not.

There is no penalty to cash out a MM... most long bank CDs have 180 day EWPs.... that makes then different.

I consider anything that isn't in equities as fixed income (that includes bonds, CDs and cash).

No reason to complicate things.

I think of my cash and CDs as part of my bond allocation. Cash is just the most conservative part.

+2

CD's can be a valid substitute for bonds, especially longer dated ones not counting as cash.

+1
I count CDs with 2 or more years to maturity as bonds and anything shorter I count as cash. It’s all fixed income. One problem with using CDs in lieu of bonds is that it makes rebalancing tricky.

Back
Top Bottom