"Back-dated entries will not be factored in."

CindyBlue

Full time employment: Posting here.
Ohmygosh. I think I just got a raise!

Would you kind folks check my thinking?

For some reason, I figured that, in FireCalc, the direction "Only enter changes for future years. Back-dated entries will not be factored in" meant that only those backdated years' past income weren't factored in, not the whole future amount. For example, I was putting in that my Soc Sec started in 2020. I thought FireCalc would just not factor in that one year, 2020. But instead it appears to completely disregard any and all Soc Sec income, past (i.e., 2020) present and future.

I tested it by not putting in any Soc Sec income, and then putting Soc Sec income starting in 2020. Both produced the same total future income.

Then I entered in the Soc Sec income, but had it starting in 2021 (a year after it actually started.) And my future spending level (constant spending, 100% success rate) raised by over 24%.

Could someone confirm this, please?

Last edited:
You got it. Don't enter any starting date in the past when using FIRECalc.

That'll teach me not to ask questions about the meaning of the directions (grin!)

It's sure good to know that I should have a little bit more than I need rather than less. We live in a high cost of living area, and I am a worrywart, so any extra cushion at all is very reassuring!

Well then, now we expect to see you posting more on the "Blow That Dough!" thread!:)

Well then, now we expect to see you posting more on the "Blow That Dough!" thread!:)

Hey, you're right!

Now I can get our outhouse down by the barn pumped out! Oh, the luxury of a cleaned-out outhouse :LOL:

so what happens when you "save" (link to shortcut) your FIRECalc and then go to the link a few years later and a date you entered originally is now a back-dated entry?

so what happens when you "save" (link to shortcut) your FIRECalc and then go to the link a few years later and a date you entered originally is now a back-dated entry?

Then you will be susceptible to this issue.

Back
Top Bottom