BBC - Early retirement 'is good for us', research shows

Amusingly, they also quote a study that says full retirees die quickly or acquire diseases immediately after retirement.
Without a full picture of the retiree's willingness & readiness to retire, let alone their finances, it seems difficult to make blanket statements about survivability.

Having said that, Poland seems to be on to something...

Hey, in all countries that are listed, the actual retirement age for women is lower than for men, although the official retirement age is always the same.

Yet, we all know women live longer than men, probably in nearly all countries. Is that fair? :cool:

Hey, in all countries that are listed, the actual retirement age for women is lower than for men, although the official retirement age is always the same.

Yet, we all know women live longer than men, probably in nearly all countries. Is that fair? :cool:

Now, now, NW-Bound. I'm sure you must know by now that life isn't fair. >:D:hide:. Besides, men don't have to go through labor and delivery so it all evens out.

Some men had to deliver big kidney stones. Does that not count?

PS. My wife got to ER before me. It's OK with me.

My baby was 9.5 pounds. When you deliver a 9.5 pound kidney stone, that will count. :D

From your previous posts I think you could completely ER right now if you wanted to, but maybe you just aren't quite ready yet. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
Surprise-surprise; the article seems to contradict the title for the most part. Publishers love to hook us with titles...

My baby was 9.5 pounds. When you deliver a 9.5 pound kidney stone, that will count. :D

From your previous posts I think you could completely ER right now if you wanted to, but maybe you just aren't quite ready yet. Nothing wrong with that.

Eh? Kidney stones and babies do not travel through the same path. On the other hand, to be fair, carrying a fetus in your tummy for several months is no fun.

But would you know, our first born was of the same size, and I was with my wife through her labor. When I took my baby girl home from the hospital, she looked like a mature month-old baby. Yet, my wife's delivery of our smaller 2nd child was much worse than that first one, and we had to ask for some epidural. Just joking about whose pain is worse, even though I doubt if many, men or women, could endure my 2 weeks of pain without begging for some pain killer.

Back to the OP, looking at the earlier retirement age for women vs. men, is it surprising to any of us that that is true? Men are still considered the breadwinner, and are generally expected to work longer.

Well I am impressed with your achievment. Still, I think we might have to compare the size of the vagina against the urethra before we can decide which hurts more. :)

Well I am impressed with your achievment. Still, I think we might have to compare the size of the vagina against the urethra before we can decide which hurts more. :)

Yeah, and you don't really get the advantage of all those hormones that relax the birth canal tissues at childbirth. Still, childbirth is an amazing thing.

Maybe this is a bit gross/rude/improper, but.......shouldn´t we take into account the dimensions of the exits in each case:cool:?

PS. I am one of many men that thinks that childbirth IS VERY VERY PAINFUL.

I just learned that the fear of childbirth is called tokophobia. It is said that 1 in 7 women has it.

From a Web site:

Dame Helen Mirren admitted to suffering from the same fear. The Oscar-winning actress revealed her deeply held fear on an Australian television show, blaming a graphic video of childbirth shown to her as a 13-year-old schoolgirl for her childlessness ever since.
"'I swear it traumatised me to this day," she said. "I haven't had children and now I can't look at anything to do with childbirth. It absolutely disgusts me."​

I just learned that the fear of childbirth is called tokophobia. It is said that 1 in 7 women has it.

From a Web site:

Dame Helen Mirren admitted to suffering from the same fear. The Oscar-winning actress revealed her deeply held fear on an Australian television show, blaming a graphic video of childbirth shown to her as a 13-year-old schoolgirl for her childlessness ever since.
"'I swear it traumatised me to this day," she said. "I haven't had children and now I can't look at anything to do with childbirth. It absolutely disgusts me."​

And wonderful that nowadays we can do something about it.

Early Retirement, Seventeen Years Later

BBC News - Early retirement 'is good for us', research shows

Amusingly, they also quote a study that says full retirees die quickly or acquire diseases immediately after retirement.

I went into full retirement at age 53 in 1993. Now, 17+ years later, both my physical and fiscal health continue to be good. Early retirement has certainly been generally good for me. My single example does not prove the study wrong of course. The 17 years have been severely damaged by the loss of people I loved. They would not want their deaths to ruin the rest of my life, though they understood the necessity of mourning.

The article was very disappointing! It didn't say much about anything!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom