Best mutual fund for a married 30 something?

69CamaroMan

Confused about dryer sheets
Looking to start shifting to taxable assets to cover period from military retirement to 59.5. Prefer Vanguard and I tend to be aggressive due to age. (4 out of 5) Won't need to withdraw for 8-12 years. Also may use fund as down payment on forever home when the time comes. Thanks. :blush:

Looking to start shifting to taxable assets to cover period from military retirement to 59.5.

I use a mix of VTSAX and VTIAX in my taxable account for this exact reason. The balance of what goes where is determined by my overall AA (85/15, with 30% of equity being international).

^^^^ those are my go-to domestic and international equity funds, and I add a small dose of VEMAX.

My mix would be 70/25/5 or thereabouts. At 30, I would have been 100% equities.

Why would the recommendation be different if you were single?

Was just being descriptive but I imagine it makes little difference.

I think your thread title and post were just fine.

There is a member Nords who has posted a lot of useful information for military people (I am not) that you might find interesting.

A target date fund of 2030 - 2040 might be simple and you can be aggressive by selecting later dates. They would have an advantage of getting more conservative as you get to your withdrawal start date. A balanced fund like Wellesley or Wellington also works, though maybe a little conservative to start.

Thanks Animorph. I use those for my IRAs and like the "fire and forget" feel of them.

Back
Top Bottom