Best online bank for one stop shopping?

I use Fidelity and keep my cash in FDZXX money market paying 2.17% currently. Bill pay and all the other bank services are available. Only thing I can’t do is deposit cash.

Ally Bank is very good at what they do.

Late to the party but I agree Ally is excellent. I opened an account with them as a stopgap when I moved to Hawaii about 9 years ago. I had been with Chase for over 35 years at the time. Ally has become my main bank for the most part. The only reason I keep a local bank is for Medallion guarantees I seem to need every few years.

I have had no issues at all with Ally. I have called customer service 2 or 3 times to ask a question and always got a competent and friendly agent very quickly.

Edit to add: I only use banks for checking accounts so I don't care about rates. Most of my money is with T. Rowe Price.

I have been using Capital One for years now with no issues. Initially they were known as ING but were bought out later by Capital One. I started with ING to open savings accounts for my kids college fund because of the 50$ bonus for opening each account. My kids are long since finished with college but I have stuck with Capital One. I also like the fact that there are no foreign ATM fees when traveling.

I use Fidelity and keep my cash in FDZXX money market paying 2.17% currently. Bill pay and all the other bank services are available. Only thing I can’t do is deposit cash.

Do you have to maintain the 100k minimum in the money market? Do you use the Ebills feature?

I would like to use Fidelity for ATM withdrawals but my Fido rep confirmed they have an international transaction fee. I know their Visa card does as well so I only use that card for utility bills.
This is not true for the ATM card on their cash management account as long as you are withdrawing cash at a foreign ATM.

If you use you ATM card to purchase something (point of sale) then you get charged a 1% FTF.

I’ve used this ATM card extensively overseas- thru 2019 that is.

Last edited:
That's kind of surprising given the intensely competitive nature of their business. Schwab reimburses all ATM fees including outside the US and has no FTF. The cards and all accounts are 100% indemnified against fraud, too. "Schwab will cover losses in any of your Schwab accounts due to unauthorized activity."
It’s not true for ATM withdrawals with Fidelity, and Fidelity also promptly reimburses for ATM fees.

The 1% FTF only shows up if you use their ATM card as a debit card at a point of sale.

Back
Top Bottom