Blasted cracked windshields

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For the second time in a year, I have a cracked windshield on my commuter caused by rocks flying up off the highway. :rant:

Both times it has proven beyond repair. Is this just an expense I should eat and move on (til the next crack), or is there something besides standard glass windshields that might stand up better to the punishment of driving on I95 every day?

If you are getting whacked hard enough to crack the screen you're probably screwed. In BMW circles the stock BMW glass is regarded as harder and less prone to pitting, while PNG glass found commonly here in the states is regarded as softer, less prone to "chipping" (and maybe cracking?) but more prone to pitting. Don't think there is anything like the plastic sheeting people put on their headlights and hoods (invisible bra) to reduce breaking and chipping. One does want to see clearly, after all.

Calmloki:

There is a reason why glass in US cars chips easily. And that is because it is safety glass. Imagine being thrown through a window which was (literally) as hard as a rock. Or think about a pedestrian who impacts the windshield and the effect on them. The glass in US cars is designed to break easily and that's for your own protection.

Don't' even think about putting any film coating over the windshield or do so at your own peril.

Just pay the price to replace the windshield and consider it to be an insurance payment for yourself.

Masterblaster said:
Just pay the price to replace the windshield and consider it to be an insurance payment for yourself.

That's about what I figured, but I just wanted to check if there was soem magic solution I was clueless about.

Sigh, another $300...

brewer12345 said:
That's about what I figured, but I just wanted to check if there was soem magic solution I was clueless about.

Sigh, another $300...

Yea.... live with the crack like I did for 10 years...

But, it was not 'in the way'...

I did pay to get it fixed when it occured after one week on my 'new' car... but that was in '04...

I'm guessing that your insurance co doesn't cover glass? In MA it's considered a safety issue and is replaced with no deductable applying to the cost. Dh has had his replaced twice, I have a chip and should have it replaced :(

brewer12345 said:
For the second time in a year, I have a cracked windshield on my commuter caused by rocks flying up off the highway. :rant:

Both times it has proven beyond repair. Is this just an expense I should eat and move on (til the next crack), or is there something besides standard glass windshields that might stand up better to the punishment of driving on I95 every day?

My trips up and down rt 78 when I was in NJ commuting I would get cracks on a monthly basis. I used a product that stopped the crack from spreading and lived with it as long as I could. Heck I went 3 years with 6 different marks on the windsheeild until I finally fixed it. Only to get a rock the very next day!

Good Luck.

newguy888 said:
My trips up and down rt 78 when I was in NJ commuting I would get cracks on a monthly basis. I used a product that stopped the crack from spreading and lived with it as long as I could. Heck I went 3 years with 6 different marks on the windsheeild until I finally fixed it. Only to get a rock the very next day!

No issues with the po-lice? I am willing to live with teh crack until I need to pass inspection, just don't want to get a icket.

brewer12345 said:
No issues with the po-lice? I am willing to live with teh crack until I need to pass inspection, just don't want to get a icket.

It depends on where it is. I never had an issue with the troopers. I in fact never had a problem. I figured if I got pulled over it just happend a few days ago.

Funny I used to be so darn well anal about the car and trucks I owned. Only now do I not worry about the little things. I maintain the vehicle to the max but the windshield chips and cracks when driving up and down an interstate are well badges of courage!

brewer12345 said:

Mine always passed as it was not in my main view... it started on the passenger side in the middle and came across and then went up around where there mirror was located... not on the drivers side..

Masterblaster said:
Calmloki:

There is a reason why glass in US cars chips easily. And that is because it is safety glass. Imagine being thrown through a window which was (literally) as hard as a rock. Or think about a pedestrian who impacts the windshield and the effect on them. The glass in US cars is designed to break easily and that's for your own protection.

Don't' even think about putting any film coating over the windshield or do so at your own peril.

Nope, not buying it. BMWs sold in the states have to meet DOT standards, of course BMW glass is safety glass. What I'm saying is that BMW factory glass is harder on it's surface than replacement glass shop PPG glass. Which gives it different characteristics than factory glass. The "safety" part of windsheild safety glass has to do with it's multi-layer construction with a soft adhesive center that keeps it from exploding into sharp shards when struck by a rock. I quite agree with you that gluing a plastic sheet over a windsheild would be an amazingly silly thing to do, but that does work on fog & headlights and such.

Need to distinguish between a chipped windscreen and a cracked one. Chips can be filled and repaired pretty well, cracks cannot and will continue to spread.

Which is all pretty much worthless if Brewer12345 isn't driving a BMW and hasn't been having his windsceen replaced at the dealership with factory glass. ;)

The windshield shop is able to stop a crack from running by drilling and filling at the end of it. I have had several treated this way when they were not in the line of sight of the driver and they never got any bigger after the treatment. It does not improve the aesthetics of the situation but the price is right.

I've been lucky, never had a cracked windshield. Plenty of dings that I had fixed so a crack wouldn't develop, but no cracks. My insurance skips the deductible and pays the $50 charge to fix the ding.

Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) the only damaged windshield I ever had was caused by my hard head exiting through it during a slight vehicular mishap. That windshield was manufactured by L-O-F here in Illinois......and, man, was it HARD!!! :uglystupid:

(BTW......many of my relatives....including immediate family.....and friends, either w*rk at, have w*rked at, or are retired from that glass plant. They no longer produce automotive glass there anymore though.)

bummer. we should be able to get the license plate number of the responsible dump truck and hold them liable.

i was keeping back at least 150 feet from a dump truck on way up from keys. didn't matter. small rock bounced in front of me. i slowed as much as i could without freaking out the guy behind me. couldn't swerve (cars on either side). watched it hit my hood and i ducked as it hit the windshield. thought it took a big chip but on pulling over the "chip" was just some dirt (though it left a few little nicks on the glass). also it took some paint off the hood about half the size of a dime. sure glad it didn't ding. the new stang has been christened.

i-95 road debris got serious enough down here that we now have "road rangers" patroling 24/7, picking up debris and helping cars that get in trouble.

a few years back we actually had a woman speared through the chest with a metal rod that came flying through her windshield. be careful out there. driving can be hazardous to your early retirement.

Last time I cracked my windshield, I drove that way for about 7 months before getting it fixed (it was s small crack). Anyway, literally *2 HOURS* after having the windhsield replaced I am doing an errand and *pop*, I get hit again...

lazygood4nothinbum said:
a few years back we actually had a woman speared through the chest with a metal rod that came flying through her windshield. be careful out there. driving can be hazardous to your early retirement.

The subaru owners magazine had a reader-submitted pic a couple months ago that showed a huge steel bolt protruding halfway through a forrester windshield.

In CA it's a fix-it ticket if you get pulled over, small hassle, smaller $$ and no driving record hit. I follow the "two crack" rule. Basically, when the second rock damage occurs, I fix it. Those liquid fill in crack repiar jobs are pretty cool, too, and my car insurance covered the cost.

Here's how to tell if you need a new windshield !

Attachments

• Moose.jpg
    Moose.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 21
  • Moose.jpg_thumb
    35 KB · Views: 3
I see a few rust-bucket specials with cracks all the way across. I don' tknow how they get away with it.

When you live in an area that is mostly exposed rocks (Rocky Mountains) you learn to expect windsheild chips and cracks as the cost of driving around here. All my cars have at least one chip but no cracks. I had one star crack repaired once and the repair created a much larger crack. The repair company paid to have the windshield replaced. A week later..you guessed it...a new chip. I had it filled last week to keep it from getting worse.

TromboneAl said:
I see a few rust-bucket specials with cracks all the way across. I don' tknow how they get away with it.

It is according to your state law... here, as long as it does not 'interfere' with your vision you can have cracks... who gets to decide?? The inspections stations..

TromboneAl said:
I don't know how they get away with it.

Because they look like they probably cant afford to pay a ticket.

Hence its a waste of time to pull them over and write one. Hmm?

In my area, most insurance covers glass with a $100 deductible, and many repair shops eat the hundred bucks to get the repair business.

Back
Top Bottom