Boast about your hometown

Jeanie and i were born and brought up in Pawtucket 3/4 mile part.
Since marriage in '58, 22 moves from Maine, Florida, Texas, Chicago and places between.
Second best was Vineyard Haven Ma., and Falmouth Ma.

We love where we live now. Nice people, nice town, well run, low taxes, virtually no traffic... (all 4 way stops that everyone respects). Every kind of shopping within 2 miles. Virtually no crime. Best hospital outside of Chicago, Community College, very affordable, and our LV CCRC... (the last stop)

Peru, Illinois (IL 61354) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders

Last edited:
Last edited:
My father retired from the Air Force in Tampa Florida after a 28 yr career. He bought a nice house in Brandon just outside of tampa for my brothers and my high school years.
We truly enjoyed growing up in Brandon. At the time it was just a little bedroom community to tampa. It was several years before we even had a McDonald's. Both my brother and I got to play on the football team and track team as well. We did fishing and swimming at a nice lake across the street. When we could drive the beaches were our play ground on the weekends. We had 4th of july parades down main street with pick-nicks and fire works every year. Downtown Tampa was a quick 15 drive. I moved away when I graduated and lived in Tampa when I bought my first house with my wife. Once my children were born we moved back to Brandon to raise them. Flash forward 25 yrs. My kids live close by us here in Brandon with their own family's. Life is good and now my wife and I have grand kids to expose to the beauty of Brandon.

Oh wow, that brings back so many memories. When I was younger, we lived in Connecticut (Stamford), and my parents had a yacht in Milford. We'd go out there every weekend to take the boat out... so many memories.

The Milford Boat Works is my back yard.

Started in a town of 200 outside of Spokane. Then Spokane which is near and dear to me. Fifty plus years outside of anarchy city, I mean Portland. Still love the area, not the politics. Will never get back to Spokane but having all the lakes and open space was awesome growing up. Still can’t complain with mountains and beach equally close to me now

I grew up in Portland, OR. It was a very stimulating place then and we could live there today.

Currently living in a little college town on the water, under Mt Baker, near the Canadian border in NW Washington State. Often featured in articles about Best Places to Retire in the US, real estate is driven by retiree immigration. Like Seattle, local politics is a little too hippie for me, but like Ha says, that is something I can do nothing about so I just enjoy myself and watch the show.

We just left your college town (making an assumption about what town this is) where we've spent a month this year and 6 weeks last year to escape the heat where we live. The hiking is awesome. We hiked several times a week in both the high country and the Chuckanuts.

My hometown (where I grew up) is home to Amazon and is pretty much unaffordable to me if I ever wanted to own a home there. But it's one of the most beautiful cities in the nation when it's clear and you can see Mt. Rainier, the Cascades and the Olympics from a ferry in the middle of Puget Sound.

Interesting facts: My hometown of 30,000-ish people has five undergraduate universities, two graduate schools and two schools of theology. It also has America's only paleontology museum located on a high school campus. Notable residents include Frank Zappa, Buckethead and Jessica Alba. The city has been a winner of the National Arbor Day Association's Tree City USA award for 22 consecutive years.

I grew up in Claremont, CA; thirty-five miles east of Los Angeles. It was a great place to be a kid.

I grew up in the once small town of Mooresville, NC. We considered the Andy Griffith show a documentary versus a sitcom. We had a small 150-acre farm and my childhood was filled with fishing in our ponds, climbing trees and playing in the dirt.

I now live in Warner Robins, GA right smack in the middle of the state. A small town with every convenience which is just fine by me! Wish it were a little cooler in the summer.

My home town is Wapakoneta, Ohio, home of Neil Armstrong the first man on the moon.

In keeping with your Moon theme, I was raised in Bethpage (Long Island), New York, home of Grumman Aerospace, the company which built the Lunar Module that landed on the moon several times. It, like Armstrong, drew a lot publicity in 1969 following the first moon landing. As a kid, I recall a parade through town shortly after that first moon landing. In the local LIRR train station, there was, for a while, a display case with a miniature replica of the LM. If you watch the movie, "Apollo 13," you will hear a reference to Grumman ("Get Bethpage on the line" or something like that) when they planned to use the LM as a lifeboat to keep the astronauts alive.

These days, unfortunately, Bethpage and Grumman (now called Northrop)gets into the local media a lot because of a large underground plume contaminating the area's water supply thanks to pollution dating back to the 1970s. There has been an ongoing clean-up attempt going on for many years.

My dad still lives in the house we moved into back in 1964, a house which borders on Northrop-Grumman property (separated by a chain-link fence) although I live about 15 miles away.

Started in a town of 200 outside of Spokane. Then Spokane which is near and dear to me. Fifty plus years outside of anarchy city, I mean Portland. Still love the area, not the politics. Will never get back to Spokane but having all the lakes and open space was awesome growing up. Still can’t complain with mountains and beach equally close to me now

I lived in Greenacres for a bit of my life, loved being close to Fall City and Coeur d'Alene and Mount Spokane. Didn't like the annual grass burning in the late summer. Hate the name change to Spokane Valley.

I still spend weeks to months in my "actual" home town each year even though my "new" home town is Honolulu. It's either a big small city or small big city, I guess. Traditionally, it has very low unemployment as it has a hugely diversified empl*yer base. It has lots of industries, a university, plus farming. Housing is quite affordable by coastal standards (maybe even by midwest standards.)

Weather is lousy, with hot summers and cold winters, but what the heck, it's home. I would hate never getting back here to visit. To give you and idea of my roots in the community, we have gone to 5 funerals so far this summer. YMMV

My town is living up to its reputation of being one of the best birding areas in the mainland interior. Fairly easy to find 15+ species of hummingbirds during the late summer migration. From the Tucson rare bird alert.

PORTAL & the CHIRICAHUAS

SHORT-TAILED HAWK was reported at Barfoot Park on 8/11 (Simon Lane).
BERYLLINE HUMMINGBIRD continued along Crystal Cave Trail (Chiricahua Mountains Hiking Trails - Crystal Cave Trail #382) on FR 42A just west of the Southwestern Research Station through 8/16 (m.ob.). It has been seen near the cave and closer to the trailhead.
LUCIFER HUMMINGBIRDS continued in ******* new yard (http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L3642537) this week (m.ob.).
LUCIFER HUMMINGBIRDS continued in a yard in Whitetail Canyon this week
LUCIFER HUMMINGBIRD was reported at the George Walker House this week (m.ob.).
RUFOUS-CAPPED WARBLER was photographed in the South Fork of Cave Creek Canyon on 8/5 just above the bridge.
WHITE-EARED HUMMINGBIRD was photographed along the Basin Trail (accessed from Herb Martyr CG) on 8/11 and continued on 8/16 (m.ob.). GPS: 31.87135, -109.2441 and map: https://hikearizona.com/map.php?QX=8849
WHITE-EARED HUMMINGBIRD was reported from seldom visited Indian Tank (https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59029911) on the south side of the Chiricahuas on 8/15

Wow! That's quite a list. I'm pretty sure I've only ever seen a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird. They are in Maine during the summer.

While I never lived there my birth certificate says I was born in Cooper hospital in Camden, NJ. It's not a good place to live.

Back
Top Bottom