Bought a new iMac today.

One neat feature of the M processors is the ability to run some iPhone and iPad apps. I like to be able to see my wyze cameras, thermostats, etc. on my laptop.

Cool. That’s the kind of integration I’d like. Basically my iPad with a keyboard and a bigger screen.

.... I'm a little concerned about buying the base ram/ssd unit but I did a lot of research and worked to determine my real needs and I think it should work just fine. In years past, there's no way I would have bought a base unit, but the truth is that my use case is drastically reduced since being retired. I mainly surf and get emails. .... .

Sounds like you'll be fine, but I'm pretty sure the memory is not upgrade-able? For me, even 16GB gets pushed, but you see, there is 'surfing' and there is 'SURFING'. I keep dozens of windows open, and probably over a hundred tabs. That eats up memory! But I keep a virtual desktop open for different topics/interests, and I like to just keep the tab open so I can go back when I want.

But that's me.

I'll +1 the advice for LibreOffice - get it on both systems, and then it will be the same experience.

And you can do taxes with the on-line versions. It's nice not to get those updates every time you log on, their system is always updated.

:cool: Nice and once you go Mac, you'll never go back.:cool:

If you mean back to Windows, that's probably true for most. But you might do like me, and go sideways - to Linux, and never go back!

-ERD50

Yeah, I don’t surf anything like that. The only time I have multiple tabs open is when I’m comparison shopping. Even then, it’s rare and doesn’t last for long.

As for trying the Mac and never going back, I’ve had both in my life so I know the Mac vs Win systems pretty well. Personally, I’m agnostic. I liked my MacBook Air and I like my current Win machine. They both did what I wanted as I needed it. I’m looking forward most to the new iMac for the seamless integration between my other devices. In the grand scheme of things, I don’t really use my desktop much anymore, but I wouldn’t be without one. Sometimes you just want the bigger screen and a proper keyboard.

The computer came yesterday. I got it set up pretty easy. Took a little bit of work to get everything sync’d with my other Apple devices but it’s looking pretty good now. Will be working on moving my data over today and to get Time Machine set up. Time Machine may take a few days because I need a different cable for the external drive I want to use.

I'm pretty sure the memory is not upgrade-able?

Anything using an Apple Mx processor is not memory upgradable.

The memory on these systems is physically on the package - not in a slot or on the circuit board.

By having the memory integrated as part of the SoC (system on a chip) memory can shared between the CPU and GPU at no performance loss. It's part of the reason they get such excellent performance from these systems.

The memory on these systems is physically on the package - not in a slot or on the circuit board.

By having the memory integrated as part of the SoC (system on a chip) memory can shared between the CPU and GPU at no performance loss. It's part of the reason they get such excellent performance from these systems.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

I'd assume this is package integration, I'm pretty sure that the process and economics of RAM are different enough from those for the CPU, so they aren't the same die, but put on the same package. Though they are apparently reaping benefits from this with lower capacitance on the interconnects, or other advantages.

-ERD50

:cool: Nice and once you go Mac, you'll never go back.:cool:
I went from being more of a Mac user to strictly a Windows user. I can't imagine going with Mac. Of course, most of my career was heavily involved with Windows systems after more Apple/Mac in the earlier years.

Sounds like you'll be fine, but I'm pretty sure the memory is not upgrade-able? For me, even 16GB gets pushed, but you see, there is 'surfing' and there is 'SURFING'. I keep dozens of windows open, and probably over a hundred tabs. That eats up memory!
I have gotten worse at that as well, keeping about 100 tabs open on my home computer in Firefox, plus various applications and documents, and I had even more open on my work computer. If I close the browser or reboot, all the tabs will come back up. I also push 16 GB of RAM, that I had to upgrade to. The next computer I build, I'll probably start with 32 GB.

Last edited:

Wow... not being able to expand or upgrade the RAM on a system would make it a non-starter for me. Over the decades of owning various desktops and laptops, I have done "aftermarket" RAM upgrades numerous times to dramatically improve performance and extend the useful lifespans of my PCs. Not being able to do that with an iMac seems like a major drawback to me, but I get how it's not a big deal for others.

And you can do taxes with the on-line versions. It's nice not to get those updates every time you log on, their system is always updated.
My security paranoia prevents this from being an option. Sadly, I don't think there is tax preparation software that runs on Linux unless you are running a Windows emulator (?), otherwise I would have moved away from Windows 10 Pro.

You did the right thing. When purchasing computers you always go for the least expensive machine that would do the job. "Top of the line" stays on top for maybe 6 months so the bragging rights are definitely not worth the extra money - you'd just waste it for all that computing power that you'd never need.

I'm using Intel macMini from 2014 and while I can't update to the newest OS anymore, the computer itself works totally fine.

My security paranoia prevents this from being an option. Sadly, I don't think there is tax preparation software that runs on Linux unless you are running a Windows emulator (?), otherwise I would have moved away from Windows 10 Pro.
I run Windows 10 on Manjaro Linux using QEMU so I can run H&R Block and MS Office. Virtualbox is more user friendly, but less performant.

I can get a macbook air or a macbook pro, same specs, m2 255sd 8 gig, air is 8 core pro is 10. $1,099

Or m1 air same specs other than chip for $999

Both are 13 inch and no tax.
Thinking the pro is the way to go. All will do what I need

You did the right thing. When purchasing computers you always go for the least expensive machine that would do the job. "Top of the line" stays on top for maybe 6 months so the bragging rights are definitely not worth the extra money - you'd just waste it for all that computing power that you'd never need.

I'm using Intel macMini from 2014 and while I can't update to the newest OS anymore, the computer itself works totally fine.

Thanks. I’ve been using it for a few days now and I’m very happy with the performance. I used to buy higher spec’d machines and probably over bought but I was working and I 1) was working so I didn’t care and 2) was using larger spreadsheets and having way more simultaneous things running. Those days are over. I really like how it comes back on instantaneously using the fingerprint sensor. Mostly, I very happy with the way it syncs with my other devices.

I loaded MS Office on it (the non-subscription version) and it opened my few financial spreadsheets just fine. I haven’t even heard the fan speed up yet. Haven’t heard the fan period.

You'll be happy if you switched because the Windows models were always breaking. My wife is a bookkeeper and generally has to replace her Windows Laptops every 2-3 years bc that's just all the gas they have in the tank or sometihing or other stops working and its not worth fixing. I went to MacBook years ago - first one is 16 years old and still runs just fine but decided to replace it when they stopped issuing OS updates (10 years). The one I am using to write this post, a MacBook Air, is over 6 years old and still runs like new and I use it heavily with Parallels, several non-Mac OS and heavy office, web, email usage.

They cost a bit more but just last longer and run better. Good Luck!

I like the mac mini for the tiny form factor. Fits into a cubby in my dads old wooden secretary. I got used to the integration and sharing of backups/music/books/contacts and such. Have been lazy about a hidden screen mount so that I can close the fold down writing surface.

Back
Top Bottom