Breath Work

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
I frequently run across references to breath work, i.e. using breathing exercises - with or without assistive breathing devices for self training purposes -
for all kinds of reported benefits:

- anxiety reduction

- lowering of blood pressure

- insomnia relief

there are so many different types listed and plenty of testimonials,
but would appreciate hearing from anyone who is actually doing this and has seen direct benefit?

I have done some. It's effective for me for anxiety. However it does take practice and if you're having panic attacks it's difficult for me and get in the right place.

Someone leant me a device, Heart-math,it was helpful to provide feedback while you are learning. I'm at a place where I can do a few deep breaths and reduce my immediate anxiety.

Don't do breathing exercises but we spend 1/2 of the year at 9400' at our cabin. The other 1/2 at our condo at sealevel.
My blood pressure appears to be better now since I've been doing this. One other factor is I am much more physically active at the cabin than at our city condo. My doc says she feels my cardio pulmonary system is better also due to altitude living.

I frequently run across references to breath work, i.e. using breathing exercises - with or without assistive breathing devices for self training purposes -
for all kinds of reported benefits:

- anxiety reduction

- lowering of blood pressure

- insomnia relief

there are so many different types listed and plenty of testimonials,
but would appreciate hearing from anyone who is actually doing this and has seen direct benefit?

Doesn't work!

I've tried for anxiety and insomnia with some different recommended methods.

It doesn't appear to work at all for me.

Maybe it will help someone with more mild conditions or panic attacks (I don't get those).

What works for anxiety for me is about an hour of cardio level exercise like biking (not walking) where my heart rate is more like 130. Actually, 20 minutes may even be enough, although I almost always did an hour. It doesn't last forever though, and I am back to high anxiety in the morning.

Last edited:
I use both Meditation and breath work daily for anxiety/sleep and general health.
The Calm app has some good guides.

Slow breathing was to go technique, when corp was testing our blood pressure monthly in order to get health care discount/bonus. We could get anywhere from 10 to 15 mm Hg less, comparing with regular breathing. And it did not take long ( < 10 minutes ) - easy to test yourself.
It did not work for about half of the folks (we probably had about 20 guys and 4 gals in the group).
I tried to do it more often to see if there are lasting benefits, but they discontinued the program few years ago.
Hmm, this thread makes me wanting to measure my blood pressure and maybe do another self trial of slow breathing.

During meditation retreats I do a more intense, consistent breathing practice than during typical days. This is combined with avoiding unnecessary thoughts, which during much of those days is most thoughts. There are definite benefits, though I think most come from avoiding unnecessary thoughts. The breath seems to be mostly just a focal point to return to when the mind starts jabbering. But the benefits include greater clarity of mind and a great release of mental and physical tension, which includes an expansive sensation in the chest that is referred to in mystical terms as the heart chakra opening. I'd guess that's related to an increase in vagal nerve tone, but don't know that for sure.

Back
Top Bottom