Buying sheets

300 Thread Count Organic Cotton Brushed Percale Sheet Set - Purity Home. They're on sale again, I believe. They still fit loose since they're made to fit a wide range of mattresses, but they have elastic all the way around vs just at the corners and we just did a lot of tucking. They stay reasonably put.

Yes, they are on sale for a very good price. Can't trust the reviews, as they were solicited as part of a promotion. For some reason, white is not a color choice. The 400 thread sheets are on sale for the same price. Reviews not great. For the price, might be worth a try!

300 Thread Count Organic Cotton Brushed Percale Sheet Set - Purity Home. They're on sale again, I believe. They still fit loose since they're made to fit a wide range of mattresses, but they have elastic all the way around vs just at the corners and we just did a lot of tucking. They stay reasonably put.

I'm intrigued. Could you answer a couple of questions, please?

Photos on the Target website show the sheet sets installed on beds with heavy creases in the fabric, looks like the fold lines from when the sheets were in the package. Do these creases go away?

How badly wrinkled are these sheets when they come out of the dryer?
View attachment 42279

Last edited:
We have had success with getting cotton sheets from wholesalebedding.com and they have bamboo and old fashioned percale also!

I'm intrigued. Could you answer a couple of questions, please?

Photos on the Target website show the sheet sets installed on beds with heavy creases in the fabric, looks like the fold lines from when the sheets were in the package. Do these creases go away? I'd think so if you dampen and toss in dryer for a bit.

How badly wrinkled are these sheets when they come out of the dryer?
View attachment 42279

Percale is definitely a wrinkle-prone fabric - no question. But it's light, cool and crisp. In my experience, wrinkle-free sheets typically are made from materials I don't like and usually sleep too hot for me.

So I guess I'm saying, pick your poison. :D

Personally, wrinkled sheets don't bother me in the least...no one sees my sheets but me and sleeping cool is my #1 priority.

But I can understand it matters to others. So I'd probably say these may not be the right sheets for you.

Flannel. I buy or ask for a set for Christmas every year but I'm very particular about which ones. The Walmart Mainstays brand are very comfortable but last year I was gifted a set from Target and it was a big thumbs down They smelled weird for many washes, and were very thin.
I like the Mainstays Buffalo Plaid pattern, the Red and Black or Black and White checkered pattern just makes me feel cozy. I can use them almost all year round, the heating is turned off in the summer and it can get pretty cold overnight for about 9 months of the year in my area.

Percale is definitely a wrinkle-prone fabric - no question. But it's light, cool and crisp. In my experience, wrinkle-free sheets typically are made from materials I don't like and usually sleep too hot for me.

So I guess I'm saying, pick your poison. :D

Personally, wrinkled sheets don't bother me in the least...no one sees my sheets but me and sleeping cool is my #1 priority.

But I can understand it matters to others. So I'd probably say these may not be the right sheets for you.
Ok, but do those creased lines go away?

I take sheets directly out of the dryer and install them on the bed while still warm. And I can tolerate some wrinkling.

Ok, but do those creased lines go away?

I take sheets directly out of the dryer and install them on the bed while still warm. And I can tolerate some wrinkling.

They did for me, but either way, there's no risk in trying. Target has a 90 day return policy.

I usually stock up on Macy’s Charter Club Supima cotton 550 TC. They’re soft, silky, and very comfortable on our warm SoCal nights.

Right now you can pick up a 4-pc king set for $84 on sale.

Thanks for this - that's more or less what I'm trying to replace, and I've been very satisfied - I went ahead and grabbed this deal. I had thought the prices had zoomed up, but with this sale, the price was good.

I got a set too. Thanks. DW just put a twin bed in her office (bedroom) and needed a sheet set. Twin set was $30. Hard to go wrong.

Having tried several different brands over the years and never being happy with them, a few years ago I went with the LLBean pima cotton sheets recommended by Consumer Reports: 280 Count Pima Sheet Set. They are smooth and comfortable and, IMHO, wrinkle much less than anything else we tried.

Only thing I care about is comfort and price. So decent thread count on cotton sheets and then flannel sheets in the winter. DW has that special "nose" for bargains and never spends $50 for a King set. I could care less about wrinkles or "permanent" folding marks.

I came to "high thread counts" late in life. Never knew it made a difference until we tried it. Now, there's no going back. Admittedly high thread count does not insure comfort, but low thread count insures discomfort.

DW is the consummate shopper for such things and I leave it to her - she never disappoints in the sheets - oops, let me rephrase. She knows what she's doing in purchasing sheets so I leave it to her. YMMV

We have a super-tall CA King (18"). However, I buy twin XL flats because I run hot at night, while Spouse runs cold - he's got his quilt and I've got my lightweight blanket, LOL.

Spouse loathes poly-cotton but also hates pilling. Cotton flannel fitted eventually got tossed for microfiber, which is great in winter. In summer we switch to 100% cotton.

It is NOT easy to buy separate fitted and flat sheets, that's for sure!

We've settled on Empyrean microfiber fitted sheets from Amazon. Wear well, very soft hand, never wrinkle or shrink: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071F3YG7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Cotton sheets we buy from Cuddledown mail order: https://www.cuddledown.com/Default.aspx . Not the cheapest source, but I've been very satisfied with the quality of their percale.

I've only bought a few of the higher thread counts, and found they wrinkled like mad. No patience for such nonsense as ironing sheets, off they went to Goodwill. That was decades ago, so maybe there are brands that don't wrinkle as much. But I didn't find them to be any softer or that much finer than the usual 350/400 count sheets.

Another good source for old-fashioned percale sheets - the kind that are "crisp and cool" - is Vermont Country Store. They are especially good in their sheets for the older mattresses that are the 10-13" heights: https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/search?Ntt=bed%20sheets

Agree 1000% with the bamboo recommendations! Softer and silkier than any cotton, like a high-quality rayon shirt. Very comfortable sleeping temps, winter and summer. I bought a set at Amazon, $58 for queen, and I love 'em.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072WT7WQ8/

Also agree totally with the comments against microfiber. Yuck. Very uncomfortable and hot.

I also have a set of flannel sheets that haven't come out of the storage box in years. Yes they're warm, but they're also rough and scratchy, at least the ones I've had. I think bamboo is nearly as warm, and SOO much more comfortable.

I recommend "Feather & Stitch" percale sheets - $55 for King. Cool, comfortable, 100% cotton, and "old-fashioned" 300 threadcount. I also like that they have a little tag stitched in every side of the fitted sheet telling you if it is top/bottom or side - a small thing that makes it so much easier to make up the bed!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076ZK3PND/ref=pe_386300_440135490_pd_te_o_wlr_ti/134-6896636-1954649?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B076ZK3PND&pd_rd_r=0BYNQ0ERV38W796SBDQF&pd_rd_w=cNGtt&pd_rd_wg=08HcE&pf_rd_p=ae7618cb-b04d-4f9d-a009-4d5d3b733a23&th=1

Back
Top Bottom