Car Racing fans - Sunday May 29th

I'd Really like to go see a rally in Europe, BUT I would not stand SOOOOO close to road as some people do !!!

Left hand turn only racing is BORING......

I'll watch F1 and Rally racing.

Yeah, and you'll watch a lot of boring F1 processionals like Monaco, always one of the worst races of the year because it's so hard to pass. Great scenery, terrible race.

NASCAR is not just left turn racing, they've added more road tracks in recent years.

IndyCar is so much better than F1, competition-wise, it's not funny. Yeah F1 has the tech but they often have really bad races where the pole sitter wins and there's little passing. Leclerc should have won from the pole Sunday but Ferrari blew the pit stop by having him stop with Sainz. Alonso held up half the field because Ham and friends couldn't pass him. The Indy 500 was miles better than that race.

Last edited:
Yeah, and you'll watch a lot of boring F1 processionals like Monaco, always one of the worst races of the year because it's so hard to pass. Great scenery, terrible race.

NASCAR is not just left turn racing, they've added more road tracks in recent years.

IndyCar is so much better than F1, competition-wise, it's not funny. Yeah F1 has the tech but they often have really bad races where the pole sitter wins and there's little passing. Leclerc should have won from the pole Sunday but Ferrari blew the pit stop by having him stop with Sainz. Alonso held up half the field because Ham and friends couldn't pass him. The Indy 500 was miles better than that race.
I’d agree Monaco is less interesting because it’s the hardest track (city streets) to pass on. That was fine generations ago when the cars weren’t as fast with less grip, today Monaco is all about qualifying unless you or your team makes a mistake. Formula 1 has gotten too expensive, but they are trying to cap costs.

There are 36 NASCAR races per year? Until recently there were two road races, just increased to six. Oval racing is still the most popular so obviously the essence of NASCAR is boring left turn only racing, though at high speed. Don’t bother trying to spin it otherwise. Same with Indy, left turns for hours at very high speed - yawn…

Formula 1 is competitive, what makes Indy car racing more so in your view? Both have dominant teams and drivers.

All three have huge fan bases, so all good.

Last edited:
Personally I like both Indy car and F1 racing... Especially when they run on city streets but purpose built road courses are a very close second... I am disappointed that Jimmie Johnson has done better transitioning from NASCAR to Indy car... Of course his last year+ in NASCAR wasn't impressive either.:blush:

Last edited:
Same with Indy, left turns for hours at very high speed - yawn…

Formula 1 is competitive, what makes Indy car racing more so in your view? Both have dominant teams and drivers.
Have you looked at the Indy schedule lately? I'd guess that at least half the races now are road/street, there are less ovals than before.

IndyCar constantly has races where the pole sitter doesn't win; i.e. the field is much more competitive overall because the cars are more equal. F1, until just the past couple of years, was dominated by Merc and there were few races each year that were exciting to watch (unless you were a Ham fan) because there was little to no passing upfront. That's not unusual, the default for F1 is for one or two manufacturers to dominate each year throughout its history. Indy has had multiple different drivers and teams winning championships over the last decade or so. F1 has been much better now that RB and Ferrari have caught up to Merc, but for many years it was awful. And there are still way too many F1 races decided by the pole and/or first turn crashes.

Indy has the better racing, F1 has the better tech. I routinely watch F1 races with Tivo quickplay after the first few laps because the race is essentially decided unless a safety car intervenes, I rarely do with Indy. I think F1 made a mistake when they got rid of refueling and the additional strategy that goes with it, btw. I know they did it for safety reasons but it's a key part of every other racing series.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the Indy schedule lately? I'd guess that at least half the races now are road/street, there are less ovals than before.

IndyCar constantly has races where the pole sitter doesn't win; i.e. the field is much more competitive overall because the cars are more equal. F1, until just the past couple of years, was dominated by Merc and there were few races each year that were exciting to watch (unless you were a Ham fan) because there was little to no passing upfront. That's not unusual, the default for F1 is for one or two manufacturers to dominate each year throughout its history. Indy has had multiple different drivers and teams winning championships over the last decade or so. F1 has been much better now that RB and Ferrari have caught up to Merc, but for many years it was awful. And there are still way too many F1 races decided by the pole.

Indy has the better racing, F1 has the better tech. I routinely watch F1 races with Tivo quickplay after the first few laps because the race is essentially decided, I rarely do with Indy. JMHO.
I have to admit I didn't realize IndyCar included that many bonafide road races (vs ovals with a jog into the infield). Fair point.

I tend to think of the Indy 500 which is one of the most boring races I can imagine, along with every NASCAR event run on an oval. And I can't help but believe that (not ALL but) too many fans like to see the more frequent and more destructive crashes in high speed oval races. Yes there are crashes in F1, but not as often or with as many cars IME. YMMV

Thankfully all of them have become much safer, and drivers don't have to die to be at the top of the sport as with earlier generations.

Last edited:
I have to admit I didn't realize IndyCar included that many bonafide road races (vs ovals with a jog into the infield). Fair point.

I tend to think of the Indy 500 which is one of the most boring races I can imagine, along with every NASCAR event run on an oval. And I can't help but believe that (not ALL but) too many fans like to see the more frequent and more destructive crashes in high speed oval races. Yes there are crashes in F1, but not as often or with as many cars IME. YMMV

Thankfully all of them have become much safer, and drivers don't have to die to be at the top of the sport as with earlier generations.

It's truly inspiring the improvements in safety in all the motor sports. Much of the technology has found its way into our current cars. In many cases we can thank the motorsport drivers for experimenting with new safety technologies that save our lives.

Back
Top Bottom