Cataract Surgery Options

Eye protection is a good point. After wearing glasses since my mid-40's I was used to having glasses protect my eyes. After cat. surgery I was enjoying wearing no glasses but have to remind myself to wear safety glasses whenever working on something. Easy to forget to not put on the safety glasses.

i went with the multi-focal 3 years ago. cost then was 2K extra each eye. i had worn glasses for 50 years. so glad to not have to wear them anymore.
Is multi-focal similar to trifocal glasses? I'm overdue for cataract surgery and have considered this option but I tried tri-focal lens glasses years ago and simply couldn't tolerate them. They actually made me nauseous.

DW did the higher-cost multi-focal option which she says works visionwise but has some issues. One being a magnification of the "floaters" in her eye that can be annoying. Other is "halo effect" from streetlights or lights from oncoming traffic while driving at night. Other than that she is fairly satisfied but disappointed in these items. She wore contacts and used readers for many years so there's a convenience in not having to deal with those.

The video I linked in post # 28 did mention that some of the lens types are prone to halos and glare from headlights. My wife had that issue before her surgery and really hated it, so that's part of the reason she went with the Light Adjustable. After the LAL implants, no complaints about halos/glare. A sample of 1, but seems to follow the expected pattern.

I'm 63- over the past two years my cataracts grew like weeds. Went to the doc and he said "it's time". I had already researched lenses . I knew I wanted to minimize or eliminate glasses, and didn't want to deal with the possibility of halos at night. I was extremely nearsighted with astigmatism. He recommended either the Vivity or Panoptix lenses. We discussed the pros and cons, needing glasses for extreme close up, and halos with the Panoptix.

Decided to go with the Vivity toric lenses. The results are amazing. All of the details that I was missing, and the colors.....white is now white, not a cream color. Downside is I need to clean my apartment better:)

Did one eye, waited five weeks and did the other a month ago. He was actually a bit surprised with my close up vision, I can read my phone and small print at arms length-ish. Astigmatism gone, and both eyes 20/20. Distance and near (computer) is outstanding, with no halos.

I live in Medellin Colombia - my insurance paid for the surgery and I had to pay extra for the multifocal lenses, 1250.00 per eye. Hope this helps!

I am scheduled for surgery in 2 weeks for the right eye and the following week for the left and need to pick 1 of 3 options:
a) standard, medicare covers most of cost. Better vision, still need glasses.
b) Toric lens. $3k would still need reading glasses
c) Multifocal lens. $5k. No glasses needed.
Options b and c both include Lasix if needed for any additional corrections.

I've worn glasses for 40+ years. I have progressives now. The thought of no glasses is very appealing. The thought of something working MUCH better in my old age is equally appealing. I can definitely afford this, but have never spent this much on myself. Spent on family yes, but never just for me. Ordinarily I would do the math and go for the standard.

I'm not sure if I'm just looking for confirmation bias to splurge or someone to talk some sense into me. Any opinions, especially from those who have done option C would be greatly appreciated.
I had the multi focal lens implants about 4 years ago. Best money I ever spent! I HATED wearing glasses and this is like having your 30 year old eyes back again. Have not had to put on glasses since the surgery and my eye exams result in 20/20 vision. Highly recommended!

I had cataract surgery in both eyes last September. I've always been nearsighted in my left eye and farsighted in my right eye and I did not want reading glasses.

My left eye was set as nearsighted and the vision without glasses for reading is perfect. With glasses my distance and near vision (progressive lens) is also perfect.

The right eye, not so much.

The right eye always had a lot of astigmatism and I wanted the extra cost toric lens but the cornea scan looked like a severe thunderstorm. Bottom line, the surgeon placed a "plano" lens in the right eye. But there is no distance where something is in focus and they warned before surgery that due to the cornea regularities that the vision probably would not be great.

I had another doc look at it and I'll be undergoing a cornea scraping procedure in about four months. Literally, they scrape the cornea off and let it grow back. That surgeon said it's like ripping up a patch of rough lawn grass, smoothing the dirt, and planting seed. The cornea should grow back smooth, or at least that's the hope.

I'll find out, I guess. I'll need a new prescription for that eye after the healing is done.

Had I known about that option I probably would have had the cornea scraping done first and then the cataract surgery done to see if I could get the astigmatism fixed but it is what it is.

I'm OK with wearing glasses since I've worn them since age 2. Glasses have blocked many a chunk of bad stuff from hitting my eyes over the years.

Prior to cataract surgery when looking at the big green overhead signs on the interstate I could read them about one second prior to passing under the sign.

With the left eye it's now about eight seconds. Even with the partially fixed right eye it's now about three seconds. Both eyes together it's seven to eight seconds.

The only other problem is I now have halos in the right eye when driving at night that I never had before. I don't drive a lot at night so I'll probably just live with it.
Really interesting never heard of cornea scraping and like you I wonder if they shouldn't have done it first. My corneas suck from RK surgery 30 years ago and my eyes aren't very similar so I will keep this in mind to ask more questions when my time comes. I don't care too much about halos as I already have been that route but I care very much about vision that can be corrected to 20/20. I currently cannot be.

I suspect the doctors just don't have the time to spend with patients helping them understand what the options are or maybe it never occurs to them we don't know the full implications of our choices.

Do keep us posted how it works out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom