CDs, interest rates what's your advice

Beachgrl

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi, we are in the process of selling some real estate; we want to put about 100G into a CD. Should we wait until the interest rates go up? What good CDs have you seen lately? Appreciate any advice!

What is your plan or time frame that you think you may need the money?

Depending on your time frame, I'd be inclined to ladder it. Maybe buy a $10k or $25k CD every 3-6 months and keep the rest at Ally or something similar, as you move it into your CD ladder. JMHO.

Depending on your time frame, I'd be inclined to ladder it. Maybe buy a $10k or $25k CD every 3-6 months and keep the rest at Ally or something similar, as you move it into your CD ladder. JMHO.
great idea thank you

I'm moving some money to the Freedom Credit Union while they have their 30 month 3.56% promotion. If you need the money before 30 months you can terminate early with only a six month penalty. There is no specific end date on the promotion so it could go away any time.

I'm moving some money to the Freedom Credit Union while they have their 30 month 3.56% promotion. If you need the money before 30 months you can terminate early with only a six month penalty. There is no specific end date on the promotion so it could go away any time.
i think that may be too long but nice promotion thanks for sharing

Short term treasuries have higher interest rates than CD's right now and are exempt from state income tax. You can buy them at the larger brokerages for no fee. You can also buy CD's. In many cases, the yields are higher than at the offering institution. Fidelity has tools that are easy to use.

I laddered ~$80K last year to get us from 60-62. Almost seemed like an exercise in futility with such low rates. However, because Joss has been favorable, we're reinvesting a fair amount of it. The rising interest rates are somewhat more compelling.

I hate lazy money - needs to work hard. Salt mine - cane field hard. Just short of dying each day.

We are in a rising rate environment and it is extremely difficult to guess where things will level out. At this point I would buy shorter term stuff. Personally, I have gotten lazy and bought a bunch of treasury floating rate notes. These are two year maturity treasuries with a coupon that is the average of 90 day t bills over the past quarter. Basically zero risk, rising rates add to the return, state tax free. The only real issue is that short term rates are still behind CPI.

Back
Top Bottom