Charlie Wilson's War

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I saw this movie on Thursday. Coincidentally, it referred to the execution of ex-PM of Pakistan Ali Bhutto, the father of Benazir Bhutto (who was killed the same day that I saw the flick). I only vaguely recall Rep. Wilson, but I also recently saw a show on the History Channel about the USSR/Afghan war and it recalled many issues that the movie covered in addition to news footage of Wilson in Afghanistan.

If you have seen the movie, I suggest that you check out the History Channel presentation to make a comparison.

Loved the movie - VERY interested in the History Channel version! I admit I do not remember much from that time...heck was in the gulf in the USN in the late 80's, but they don't tell the little people much..."hey guys, we are getting underway"....All I remember thinking is ,"like, wow, that is so cool" (well probably...I was a 18 year old teeny bopper so I imagine the "like" had to be in the thought process!

Good movie. The reviews say he was wilder than the movie shows.

I know I've seen a couple of pieces about Charlie in the past I am not sure if it was Frontline, 60 Minutes or the history channel.

It has been a very Afghanistan/Pakistan holiday season for me.
  • Finished A Thousand Splendid Suns, the second book from the author of the Kite Runner, it was excellent.
  • My sister and I made Indian and Pakistani food for Xmas dinner
  • Went to see Kite Runner, one of the top movies of 2007 IMO.
  • Will see Charlie's Wilson War next week.

I remember seeing and reading about him a LONG time ago... when we were funding the war 'against the Communists'....

Now, looking back it might have been one of the worst moves that we could have made.... taught them that they could win against a major military power... and they learned well... now we are paying the price.

Also, remember we supported Saddam against Iran for awhile... and look where that lead...

I have not seen the movie, but plan to soon.

Saw and enjoyed the movie. The real Charlie is much better looking than Tom Hanks!:D

Back
Top Bottom