Cheaply calling the US from Germany/France

settam

Dryer sheet wannabe
I will be vacationing in Germany and France next week. What are inexpensive ways to call home to the USA from over there? Can phone cards be purchased over there? I looked at Verizon's rates, Yikkes! Over $3 per minute.
Thanks in advance for advice.

I haven't used calling cards in a while, but I remember buying phone cards in the US and using them in Europe. You just have to make sure that they have a local access number in the country that you are visiting.

I will be vacationing in Germany and France next week. What are inexpensive ways to call home to the USA from over there? Can phone cards be purchased over there? I looked at Verizon's rates, Yikkes! Over $3 per minute.
Thanks in advance for advice.
I was just in Italy and I was able to use the Verizon Global feature for $1.27/min (or Maybe $1.29). I have a Storm, which has a global sim card.

You might need to be very careful where/how you call . I was once in Germany on a business trip......made 2 calls (1 home, 1 to airline) for total of less than 5 min. Ended up costing more than $100 which, fortunately, the company paid for. I called from the inn where I was staying.

Skype on your laptop, invest $20 in a headset with a boom mic.

Skype on your laptop, invest $20 in a headset with a boom mic.

+1

As a similar alternative, if your have a smart phone that has wifi capability you could do the same at an internet cafe. Google Talk is also quite good..

I haven't used calling cards in a while, but I remember buying phone cards in the US and using them in Europe. You just have to make sure that they have a local access number in the country that you are visiting.

+1 here, too. When DH had to go to South America suddenly I went to Costco and picked up a couple of MCI pre-paid calling cards. I called the number on the back of the card here in the U.S. and got the local access number for the areas DH would be in.

Worked great, I think we paid $0.20/minute.

You could also get a prepaid cell-phone card for your cell phone in Germany or France and use that. I think about any cell phone store there would carry them and could put them into your phone for you. Could be a hassle, though.

If it were me, I'd do Skype and use the calling card as backup.

Thanks for all the great ideas for cheaply calling home (USA) from Europe.
I will be trying a pre-paid phone card called MCI Verizon World Traveler. I found it on SpeedyPin.com. Germany to USA is 17.9 cents per min., France to USA is 21.9 cents per min. There are no hidden or other fees or taxes. Bought the $25 card. Will let you know how this works when I get back. Thanks again for the great replies and ideas.

Back
Top Bottom