Citi and others reducing select card benefits

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Looks like Citi Cards is reducing car rental and travel benefits. Here’s one link https://thepointsguy.com/news/citi-slashes-benefits-on-cards/
Effective September 22, 2019, Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection, Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance, Trip Delay Protection, Baggage Delay Protection, Lost Baggage Protection, Citi® Price Rewind, and 90 Day Return Protection will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms. Roadside Assistance Dispatch Service and Travel & Emergency Assistance will be discontinued and will not be available on or after September 22, 2019.

Here’s s related article that describes a more general effort by credit card issuers to reduce some levels of benefit. https://www.nbcnews.com/better/busi...ies-are-cutting-their-perks-here-s-ncna884406

The Citi Costco card benefits page says:

Effective September 22, 2019, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection and Citi® Price Rewind will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms.

I've never used either of these benefits, but I did plan to use the Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection if it were ever needed. I guess I'll be using a different card for travel going forward.

Thanks for posting this. We use the Citi Costco car rental at times so good to know.

Thanks for posting this. We use the Citi Costco car rental at times so good to know.

starting a good news rumor.........not to believed till you see it in print.........
The Costco car rental insurance is being retained but may be dropped on some other cards. I asked for a written confirmation , was referred to a website which says nothing other than perhaps the existing benefit. It does not say anything about this being an exception to the general demise so don't believe it till you see it in print from Citi/Costco........several reps have told me verbally it will continue.

Amex keeping and upping benefits...that's what they always sold themselves so I'm glad to see that's not changing. I'll keep that in mind next time I have a purchase I want to extend a warranty on, or for travel.

I think perhaps these cards are underselling the benefits. Sure a lot of customers don't know about them, but what they can't really know is how many customers used THAT card for THAT purchase and now won't.

Amex keeping and upping benefits...that's what they always sold themselves so I'm glad to see that's not changing. I'll keep that in mind next time I have a purchase I want to extend a warranty on, or for travel.

I think perhaps these cards are underselling the benefits. Sure a lot of customers don't know about them, but what they can't really know is how many customers used THAT card for THAT purchase and now won't.

Fortunately/unfortunately I've used AMEX's extended warranty protection 4 times. 3 times it was easy-peasy and very fast. One time was a bit harder only because I couldn't find the store receipt (I had a credit from the store at time of purchase so my AMEX statement didn't seem to match the item). Even that last time took maybe a week, start to finish. I'm a loyal AMEX holder.

Dang, I have used that car rental protection. One time, in Vegas, I backed into a pole. The credit card paid what would have been my State Farm deductible, and I paid the rest OOP. Made it much less painful. That sure was a good trip. ;)

I use my United Club card by Chase, which offers primary rental car insurance. Sapphire offers the same benefit AFAIK.

From the linked point guy's article
As of publish, we haven’t found a Citi card that doesn’t show a message noting removed benefits when you log-in to your account online.

I just logged into my Costco citicard account. No messages. So, Costco cards may be exempt - at least for now.

From the linked point guy's article

I just logged into my Costco citicard account. No messages. So, Costco cards may be exempt - at least for now.

See Post #2 in this thread for the changes to your Citi Costco card. You can find this info on the Rewards and Benefits / Card Benefits page after you login. If you already dismissed the pop-up message that appears on that page, or if it didn't appear for you for some reason, then click on FAQs link on the left side of the Card Benefits page.

starting a good news rumor.........not to believed till you see it in print.........
The Costco car rental insurance is being retained but may be dropped on some other cards. I asked for a written confirmation , was referred to a website which says nothing other than perhaps the existing benefit. It does not say anything about this being an exception to the general demise so don't believe it till you see it in print from Citi/Costco........several reps have told me verbally it will continue.

Here it is in print (well online print) from the Citi Costco Card FAQs. You must be logged in to see the FAQs about changes for your specific card.
https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/faq.aspx

What Protection Benefits will I still have on my card?
You will continue to have Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, Roadside Assistance Dispatch Service, Travel & Emergency Assistance, Damage & Theft Purchase Protection and Extended Warranty on this account. You can view Your Guide to Protection Benefits on this site under "Quick Links". It contains complete coverage details, including coverage limits, what’s covered and what’s not covered. Coverage details for these remaining benefits are not being changed.
As a cardmember, you will also continue to receive a range of other card benefits including FICO® Credit Score, Citi® Identity Theft Solutions, and Citi Entertainment.

Ha! These benefits were the only reason to have my Citi mastercard. Extended warranty is going away from my card as well.

See Post #2 in this thread for the changes to your Citi Costco card. You can find this info on the Rewards and Benefits / Card Benefits page after you login. If you already dismissed the pop-up message that appears on that page, or if it didn't appear for you for some reason, then click on FAQs link on the left side of the Card Benefits page.

Thank you Cathy.

Back
Top Bottom