Cobra runs out in June. Where to live?

BCBS is the insurer of last resort here in balmy Michigan. Only requirements when I joined were that you couldn't have access to group insurance and they wouldn't cover pre-existing conditions for six months (but would pay after that).

I know BCBS is different in every state, but they might be worth looking into as well.

In addition to them, the agent I talked to liked Aetna, but the 10 years of detailed medical history turned me off.

Note, all of this was before any sort of health care reform was even being hashed out in congress.

UHC does exclusion riders. Blue Cross/Blue Shield probably does not. Might want to give that a try if UHC doesn't work out. My guess would be they give you an outpatient back exclusion, rate up for the blood pressure. I know Marfan's syndrome (the EAR you described) is an auto-decline with Humana...I'd be surprised if its not an auto-decline with UHC. You probably can't find an independent agent because they don't pay enough commission for the work involved. Lots of health agents changing to other lines of coverage. Commissions were cut 30-70% across the board because of Obamacare.
Thanks dgoldenz. I assumed I could not find an independent agent due to it just not being financially worthwhile work for them anymore. Times they are a changin' I guess.

I am actually thinking of abandoning my pursuit of the individual policy with UHC or anyone else and targing the HIPAA as the prime path. Why bother with the others if they can attach riders, uprate due to PECs, or turn me down completely. With the new high risk rules where one does not actually need to be turned down by an insurance company to qualify, why not just go for that......after the 6 month wait period of being uninsured. That way I am guaranteed a reasonable rate of around $350/month once I enroll after the six months.

Other than the risk of some big health event during those 6 months, what are the other downsides to my thought process?

Just to be clear, my plan is the following:

• Withdraw application with UHC.
  • Cobra runs out June 15
  • Go uninsured for 6 months till December 15
  • Enroll in HIPAA in Texas or Florida Effective December 16th
    at a rate of about $350/month.
It seems like a no-brainer to me......but maybe I am missing something. Please critique my plan and let me know if I am missing something really obvious as a reason not to do this.

You can move to MA or Utah. They both have near single payer system. The new PCIP (part of Obamacare) is now available in many states. I know for sure CA is now accepting application. You can qualify if you're not insured for six months and are denied by insurance companies.

Thanks dgoldenz. I assumed I could not find an independent agent due to it just not being financially worthwhile work for them anymore. Times they are a changin' I guess.

I am actually thinking of abandoning my pursuit of the individual policy with UHC or anyone else and targing the HIPAA as the prime path. Why bother with the others if they can attach riders, uprate due to PECs, or turn me down completely. With the new high risk rules where one does not actually need to be turned down by an insurance company to qualify, why not just go for that......after the 6 month wait period of being uninsured. That way I am guaranteed a reasonable rate of around $350/month once I enroll after the six months.

Other than the risk of some big health event during those 6 months, what are the other downsides to my thought process?

• Cobra runs out June 15
It seems like a no-brainer to me......but maybe I am missing something. Please critique my plan and let me know if I am missing something really obvious as a reason not to do this.

I would never suggest someone go uninsured for 6 months as I have seen way too many things happen to people who took that chance as well as those who decided against it and were smart to have kept their coverage, even at a high price. HIPAA coverage is only available within 63 days of your COBRA expiring. As soon as your COBRA expires, you would be HIPAA-eligible assuming you satisfy the other requirements. The 6-month wait only applies to the PCIP risk pool, not the state risk pool.

• Cobra runs out June 15
I assume you mean the new federal risk pool and not HIPAA? You can only get a policy through HIPAA if you've had "continuous coverage," defined as no gaps in coverage of 63 days or more.

Of course, you're playing Russian Roulette by going naked for six months. If you don't have any catastrophic illnesses or injuries, "ciick." If you do.... "bang".

Stay away from UHC. We did the same thing you did (liked them with my company). They were terrible when we applied with them. I think I already posted on this board how bad they were just in taking our application. Sent our competed 10 year medical history application with our credit card info to the wrong address, slow, etc.

Bottom line... they didn't give us the quoted rate and put an unacceptable rider on it.

BCBS accepted us in less than a week with the quoted rate, no phone interview and no riders.

Are you sure about the rates on the HIPAA coverage? I checked them in a couple of states we were interested in and the cost was more like $1000 a month for two people.

Also, you probably already thought of this but if you choose to wait 6 month for the national high risk pool and you get into a car accident, the hospital will spend a ton of $ on you that you didn't approve because you were unconscious. They will then take you to court to get it if you refuse to pay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom