Collecting Electric Trains

boont

Recycles dryer sheets
One of my hobbies is collecting old electric trains. Most of these are either Lionel, American Flyer, or Ives from the 1920's and 1930's.

Recently I have started a web page with lots of photos. Many a young boy and girl were inspired by these old train sets. Charles Lindbergh had one, and I almost got one that belonged to Buster Keaton one time.

If you have any interest, you a welcome to take a look and share your memories of childhood trains.

http://www.facebook.com/PreWarTrains?ref=hl

When I was a boy, I got a second-hand American Flyer S Gauge train set at an auction for 50 cents. It ran in a circle just fine, but I did not have any switches and only the engine, tender, 3 cars and a caboose. I dreamed of having a full layout, with all the miniature trees and buildings and such, but a lack of money and space, as well as moving every year or so, made that impossible. When I worked in NYC, they always had a giant set up in the Citigroup building at Christmas. I enjoyed going over to see it in action.

Thanks for posting your FB page. I enjoyed the pictures.

The pictures of boyhood trains do bring back memories don't they?

I have a small collection of electric trains (HO-scale), some from my childhood. One day hopefully, when we're done moving around, I'll have a space for a permanent layout.

I did have a somewhat largish Lionel set that my Dad took instead of money for a wiring job. (He was an electrician, worked for the electrical utility, and did small household-type wiring jobs on the side.)

But it was just the train set and a few accessories and we never really had the space or money to do a proper layout with it. It was fun nonetheless. Animal lovers may cringe at this, but I and a couple of neighborhood guys would sometimes capture a large ant, tie it to the tracks with thread, and then run over it with the train. Poor Pauline.
Paulina e o Trem.avi - YouTube

When preparing to move I sold it to a local shop that dealt in them since I hadn't touched it for 20+ years, figuring it would end up in the hands of someone who would actually use it.

Back
Top Bottom