College Football

As an LSU fan cannot support another SEC team tonight. Go Buckeyes!

Roll Tide

One man wrecking crew...I hope they double him and Sark will burn their ass.

It's not like they can ignore Harris on runs or screens either.

Roll Tide - The best college football team in America.

Sabans's 7th National Championship, surpassing Bear Bryant (6).

Hoping Sark brings the magic next year at UT-Austin.

Hook'em!

OSU's defense was horrible last night, tons of Bama catches made with receivers running wild through the secondary. There's no way Fields could've made up for that poor play.

Not an A or OSU fan, but that was a decisive victory.

Being from Georgia, I have quite a few friends that are Alabama fans (but didn't attend, of course) and the Saban worship is nauseating. I don't think I loathe a team MORE than Alabama. That game was the first championship game I haven't watched in many years.

Alabama is the best team in the best conference in the entire NCAA. Unless your a fan it has to drive you a little crazy. :dance:

Not really. I have never been a "fan" really of any team be it professional or NCAA. It can be enjoyable to watch, but I have never been to any professional (or NCAA) sporting games outside of baseball and that's just because I find it to be a decent place to just sit in the sun, drink beer, and socialize with friends. :D

The cult like following that some of these teams get (like Alabama) is what gets me...but, I don't lose any sleep over it. :)

The cult like following that some of these teams get (like Alabama) is what gets me...but, I don't lose any sleep over it. :)

In the satirical newspaper, The Onion, they had wacky horoscopes. The best one I recall was something like:

"Oddly, your happiness today depends on whether, and where, a large man catches a ball." :D

Was hoping for OSU, being the home state team for me. The OSU defense did poorly and couldn't stop Alabama at all. OSU offense was okay, not as good as prior week; but no match for the Alabama offense. It was not a very competitive game in the end. Wish it would have been closer.

There is no question that football is a cult. A giant multibillion dollar commercial entertainment cult which functions under the guise of a tax-exempt educational pursuit. And in reality it has very little to do with college.

Regardless, I am a member of the cult. I played HS football and have always loved the game (even though at age 70 I am now suffering from injuries I sustained during that time). :(

Just read that Saban is considering Bill O'Brien to replace Sark as OC at Bama. I hope he doesn't destroy that program like he did Houston.

OSU's defense was horrible last night, tons of Bama catches made with receivers running wild through the secondary. There's no way Fields could've made up for that poor play.

Well, yeah. Most teams do not have the guys to cover somebody like Devonte Smith. Fortunately for Ohio State, Smith got hurt, and Waddle, who entered the season as their number one wide receiver, was experiencing his first action since a near season ending injury.

Being from Georgia, I have quite a few friends that are Alabama fans (but didn't attend, of course) and the Saban worship is nauseating. I don't think I loathe a team MORE than Alabama. That game was the first championship game I haven't watched in many years.

I think those are referred to as "t-shirt fans".

There is no question that football is a cult. A giant multibillion dollar commercial entertainment cult which functions under the guise of a tax-exempt educational pursuit. And in reality it has very little to do with college.

Regardless, I am a member of the cult. I played HS football and have always loved the game (even though at age 70 I am now suffering from injuries I sustained during that time). :(

Just read that Saban is considering Bill O'Brien to replace Sark as OC at Bama. I hope he doesn't destroy that program like he did Houston.

Good coach, terrible GM!

Saban rehabbed Kiffin and Sark, he can easily rehab O'Brien.

The thing to keep in mind, wins for the Tide are a function of so many 5 star and top 4 star recruits year after year, not so much that Saban is a genius, although his recruiting abilities are very strong. He can also be quite unhinged at times and I would not call him a players coach.

And they get those recruits because few other teams get the playoff exposure these guys do, plus the Saban mystique/record. And they're the best team in the best conference (on average).

The rich get richer, kind of a reflection of where we are as a society.

And they get those recruits because few other teams get the playoff exposure these guys do, plus the Saban mystique/record. And they're the best team in the best conference (on average).

The rich get richer, kind of a reflection of where we are as a society.

The other thing with Saban, most of his players do not jump to the NFL early, as many stay for 4 - 5 years, unlike many other schools. LSU is the poster child for players leaving early for the NFL which ticks me off, but I can't really blame them. Maybe with some compensation while in school that might change for the better.

The thing to keep in mind, wins for the Tide are a function of so many 5 star and top 4 star recruits year after year, not so much that Saban is a genius, although his recruiting abilities are very strong. He can also be quite unhinged at times and I would not call him a players coach.
Your right that their record is largely dependent on his recruiting. His primary recruiting tool is a history of winning, professionalism, and a "all business" approach that he personifies.

I think that he is a "players coach" and I think that almost all of his former players would say the same thing. He philosophy is "trust the process" which means that you cannot control everything so focus on the things that you can control.

Quoting Saban - "It’s impossible to read and execute every play to perfection for the entire game. But seven seconds? Anyone can do that. Execute, rest, repeat and you eventually have a game. Excellence is a matter of steps. Excelling at the first thing, then the second, and then the next. The process is about staying in the present and laying siege to the obstacle in front of you. It’s about not getting distracted by anything else that comes your way."

A negative trait that I think many coaches fall into is "trying to be a friend, a buddy, to the players". They have plenty of friends, they need and appreciate leadership.

Having said that, as a Texans fan I always thought that O'Brien was a terrible play caller when he was Coach and OC - as stated earlier, maybe he can rehab O'Brien?? I hope so.

I think that he is a "players coach" and I think that almost all of his former players would say the same thing. He philosophy is "trust the process" which means that you cannot control everything so focus on the things that you can control.

The reason I question his being a players coach is due to his sideline chew outs which are extreme compared to many other college coaches. While I do believe he supports his players very well, I am not sure how the players appreciate his on field tirades, as well as his other coaches. One thing Saban also does very well is coach up his couches. Most of his disciples have been very successful on their own as well as under him.

Saban is successful recruiting because he has a proven track record of sending players to the NFL.

I kind of doubt he is a "player's coach".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom