Confession of a Failed Steps Addict

We have an indoor mall in the town I retired to. Whenever someone comments in a neighborhood group about the mall, stores coming or going etc., some people always have to chime in with their “indoor malls are relics”, etc. It annoys the heck out of me. At a minimum indoor malls are excellent climate controlled places for people with mobility challenges to get some exercise.

Our big mall (Ala Moana) is more out-door than indoor. Also, it remains so busy that I don't think it would be a good place for exercise walking. Too many people coming and going. Large as it's parking garage is, certain times of the year, parking is really difficult. I can't think of the last time we went there. Probably only to go to our Olive Garden, maybe back in March? The mall has been there more than 50 years and it keeps updating - especially to lure tourists. It would surprise me if it's not still there in another 50 years, but YMMV.

We do have other malls and you could walk there just as we used to do on the mainland at our local mall. Here, we just go outside to walk, more or less 365 days/year. We just have to plan when the sun will be behind trees or buildings. Once in a while we have to dodge rain. Otherwise, "where" to walk is just a matter of today's whim.

My last indoor mall walking was done when we visited DS & family in Minnesota in January, 2022. When we pulled into DS's driveway, the thermometer read -26.

My last indoor mall walking was done when we visited DS & family in Minnesota in January, 2022. When we pulled into DS's driveway, the thermometer read -26.

Tell me about global warming again.:cool: Seriously, I've experienced -26F before and it's truly breath-taking. One of the reasons we moved to paradise is because 1) we could 2) we NEVER wanted to experience cold weather again. In or out of a mall, it's usually pleasant here if (occasionally) a bit TOO warm. Thanks for the reminder that we made the right decision. YMMV

I love to walk. I have used a fitness tracker for over 15 years starting with a pedometer from my health insurance, moving to Fitbit, and now a smart watch. When I was on the health insurance plan that awarded benefits for steps, I would be sure to monitor and get the steps in. If it was late in the evening and I needed a couple of hundred steps to reach 10,000, I would walk around the house. These days if I’m headed to bed and only have 9900 steps I don’t worry about it.

However, now I have a problem. About 3 months ago I developed plantar fasciitis. The only thing that seems to alleviate it is to cut way back on walking. I have tried shoe inserts and exercises, but the only help seems to be to cut back on walking. I love to walk outside. Occasionally, if the weather is very bad I’ll go to the mall. About the only walking I don’t like is walking on a treadmill. Before plantar fasciitis flared up I was usually getting 12,000 to 14,000 steps per day. As others have mentioned I usually get quite a few steps in when traveling. I am concerned with upcoming trips that I will want to walk and will need to cut back.

Any recommendations for dealing with plantar fasciitis?

My husband tried several things and finally saw his PCP who prescribed one of those 6,5,4,3,2,1 Prednisone packs. Gone! And never came back.

However, now I have a problem. About 3 months ago I developed plantar fasciitis. The only thing that seems to alleviate it is to cut way back on walking. I have tried shoe inserts and exercises, but the only help seems to be to cut back on walking. I love to walk outside. Occasionally, if the weather is very bad I’ll go to the mall. About the only walking I don’t like is walking on a treadmill. Before plantar fasciitis flared up I was usually getting 12,000 to 14,000 steps per day. As others have mentioned I usually get quite a few steps in when traveling. I am concerned with upcoming trips that I will want to walk and will need to cut back.

I had a bad case earlier this year from too much pickleball. What help was reducing the amount of time I played pickleball and doing stretching exercises (there are some you can find with a google search). After about a month of limited pickleball and daily stretches, the problem went away entirely. So, less activity and daily stretching worked for me.

I've had a couple of fitbits. I used to pay attention to it, but the last time I lost one, I did not replace it. It may be inside my car door, that was the last time I recall having it and I was replacing the window regulator.
If I get back on my bike in retirement I may get another.

I thought this was an interesting commentary on our culture:

https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/fitne...iled-steps-fanatic-709ae2ef?mod=hp_lead_pos11

Basically a musing on how the simple act of walking has been turned into an achievement addiction thanks to rings/watches. "It is impossible to imagine Baudelaire’s flâneur, taking in the Paris scene, merging with the street and its crowds, checking his Fitbit."

I confess since I left my job I've been trying to "get in more steps," and there are some days it seems a bit ridiculous given how unpleasant my city walks can be. But the pursuit of longevity and a subtle persistent fear of kicking back keep me going. Maybe I need to re-read Zelenski!

It also made me think of the treadmill, and how so many things in this society are co-opted as forms of productivity: work, consumerism, even RE in some spaces.

I guess everything get to be commodified eventually.

I love my fitbit. Its like my "are you taking care of yourself?" dashboard.

I'm not prone to obsessing on stats but it does keep me honest.

My wife (77) walks every day that she doesn't have tennis to play and more recently a fitness class at the military base. Sometimes a combination in the same day. The times she walks she has a new small bone conduction headphone she wears to listen to audio books from the library. Since it doesn't prevent hearing what is going on around her it is safe and convenient. Maybe this is something you could try. I would walk with her but I can't more than down the block. Bikes are not possible either but every morning it isn't raining or too cold I ride 10-15 miles on a recumbent trike around the neighborhood. After a few years it can get a little boring at times but I see others out early that wave good morning. That helps to keep me going.
I also have an indoor recumbent but it is boring and just isn't the same as being outside.

I track daily steps on a spreadsheet. (Polar fitness watch user). My goal for 2024 is 7-million steps. That's a daily average over 19k steps. I don't see it as an addiction. It's just normal, routine, daily activity.

What's the alternative? Obesity, sugar, processed foods, alcohol, drugs, social media, etc.

I love to walk. I have used a fitness tracker for over 15 years starting with a pedometer from my health insurance, moving to Fitbit, and now a smart watch. When I was on the health insurance plan that awarded benefits for steps, I would be sure to monitor and get the steps in. If it was late in the evening and I needed a couple of hundred steps to reach 10,000, I would walk around the house. These days if I’m headed to bed and only have 9900 steps I don’t worry about it.

Go to a reputable podiatrist. I suffered for years with PF. I got "measured" by a doctor who knew what he was doing. He had inserts built specifically for me. I swear this is true: I put those shiny new inserts into my shoes and it was suddenly a new world for my feet. I don't know that this will w*rk for everyone, but to me, it was a near miracle. I think the inserts at the store kiosks are a bit more hit and miss. And, keep in mind - you have two feet which are different. One size fits all at Walmart probably helps some folks, but not every one.

Best of luck and remember, YMMV.

There are several threads on plantar fasciitis on this forum...

I found wearing a boot at night helped tremendously. You can order them on amazon, and some drug stores sell them. It's a a boot that straps onto your ankle/foot to keep your foot flexed at a right angle vs prone. Apparently most people sleep with the foot prone, which allows the tendons on the back of the ankle/calf to shorten overnight... so that first step out of bed, it pulls on stuff connected to your heel. All I know is that after a few weeks of wearing the boot, my PF was better. If I get the slightest flare up (rare) I wear the boot for a few nights and it's gone.

I also try not to go barefoot around the house - something that caused it in the first place. I wear croc flip-flops which have great arch support.

I assume you've visited with a podiatrist and gotten the diagnosis? If not, start there.

Inserts are nice for maintenance, but you probably need far better arch support built into your shoes. There are specialty shoes designed for it. And of course, until things calm down at least, never go barefoot - always have something supporting your arch, like the copperfit arch supports that basically wrap around your foot no matter what you are wearing.

I had a bad case earlier this year from too much pickleball. What help was reducing the amount of time I played pickleball and doing stretching exercises (there are some you can find with a google search). After about a month of limited pickleball and daily stretches, the problem went away entirely. So, less activity and daily stretching worked for me.

I had the same problem a few years back. My doctor showed me some stretches. I do them every night before bed. Took a month or so before I was back to normal. But now don't have a problem anymore.

I have fought through it with both feet, one at a time over the last decade. The good news is it is curable mine is now gone. The bad news is it requires time and dedication to some things

1. Make sure all footwear has firm and sufficient arch support. For me that was podiatrist style arch inserts in tennis/running shoes and buying special work style shoes with arch support from Vionics. Having good hard arch support keeps the applicable tendons stretched.

2. When not wearing shoes wear sandles from Vionics or Oofas. Never go barefoot.

3. Do applicable stretches every AM before you get out of bed and any other time you are sendentary for a while

4. Do applicable stretches several times a day.

5. Icing may help. I did it sometimes but not religiously.

6. Cut back on walking for a while especially starting out while doing all of the above.

I generally found some relief in a matter of weeks but it usually took a few months (or more ) for it to completely go away. I still do most of the above things to avoid recurrence, although I don’t limit walking.

I am however limited to how much I can walk - if I put in over 10,000 steps a day my metatarsals start to hurt as well as my knees. I have to supplement my exercise with exercises like elliptical riders and rowing machines.

Back
Top Bottom