Confused

landover

Recycles dryer sheets
Recently I lost my job, my username used to be landover but I lost the password to that account with returning of office laptop.

As some of you may recall, I moved back to my country of birth after staying in the US for 10+ yrs. This was around 3 yrs back. Now I am well settled but this job loss threw me around and now I am thinking of several alternatives.

I can obviously get a similar job. But circumstances are changed now, pay will not be as high as it was. I may have to relocate to different city which I do not want to do. I really don't like kind of work I do "programming", anyway I am still exploring what kind of work I will like, haven't found any :D.

Or I can retire now, I am in my early forties with two kids one starting school and other starting high school. I can not retire in the US because of my meager savings (relatively speaking) but I can do this in my current country of residence. There are several if's and but's in this option.

First is the college education of kids, I will not be able to provide more than airfare, room and board, if kids are smart then they can study cheaply in this country and go to the US for graduate study, if they are average then it's a big question.

Second if the relative growth of this country, if living standard keeps on rising as they were in last 10 yrs, I may have to spend more (more than inflation) for my current life style. I don't think this country will touch US income level in my life but even if it becomes half of the US, my living standard will be reduced. I think prices of goods will remain same but cost of services will go up. Then there is exchange rate risk which can not be fully mitigated. Although there is one plus point about here, once you bought a condo here, cost of maintenance and real estate taxes are very low, and I expect condo to appreciate faster than rate of inflation. I may have to return to the US due to socio economic reason and then my saving will not be enough.

Third option is to retire with part time work, like teaching, contracting. This will give me money as well as keep me employable in the future. In firecalc simulation I noticed that even small earning makes a big difference. I have one more gift, I can fix electronics, electrical, mechanical, computers. software so I can always can do handyman kind of work or learn new tricks easily.

I have more observation since I am FI here, I was not taking too much bullshit in my job. Also I was paid too much since I got the job at the top of the job bubble here, my opex was too high for the employer. Anyway I should not complain, I got all the moving cost and work paid for a small condo.

I will add more to this as and when I remember more points. what other think about my situation?

Welcome back, Landover.

Sounds like you are in a pretty good situation, even without your former job. It is interesting to me that you did not like programming. I always thought that would be an ideal job, but I guess (like other jobs) it is just work. I wonder if programming would be more bearable if you were working for a different organization.

Anyway, if you can semi-retire with part time work for a while, maybe the job market in your present community will improve and another high paying job would become available for you, which would help you to pay for the college education of your kids.

If you don't want to relocate, then I think you should look at opportunities in your present location, whether part time or full time.

What country are we talking about? :confused:

Welcome back, Landover.

Sounds like you are in a pretty good situation, even without your former job. It is interesting to me that you did not like programming. I always thought that would be an ideal job, but I guess (like other jobs) it is just work. I wonder if programming would be more bearable if you were working for a different organization.

Anyway, if you can semi-retire with part time work for a while, maybe the job market in your present community will improve and another high paying job would become available for you, which would help you to pay for the college education of your kids.

If you don't want to relocate, then I think you should look at opportunities in your present location, whether part time or full time.

I am trying to get part time work but it seems to be difficult to get, it may take more time. I like programming but when you are working in a group, quality of software will vary a lot and debugging this on a system which has just a serial connection to debug, is not fun. I test ran FASFA and if there is very low income then family expected contribution is 0, this was one of online calculator, I think real thing should not be very different from it.

What country are we talking about? :confused:

India. As I already mentioned there are two variables, exchange rate and local income growth I find it difficult to model future expenses vs. investment income over 40+ yrs period.

I have a friend who recently returned to India. He had no trouble getting work (chemical engineer) again. He had been working as a contractor over there. I suspect he is again.

From all accounts, India is very busy. Use good sense, network like crazy and be prepared to move to chase the work even if you have to work away from home for a while. You have a good command of written English and Western experience. Those things ought to put you ahead of many others.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Ed

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom