Considering buying a rental for the first time, need advice

skipro33

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hello all, I'm actually asking for my brother. He is 57 years old, retired 2 years and realizes he has much more income than he needs. Both he and wife have very nice pensions, his around $5,000 a month, hers around $4,000 a month. She also gets SS based on an injury of around $2,000 a month. He just inherited around $100,000 and they stand to inherit another $100,000 to $200,000 in the next few years. They bought a 5th wheel and are wanting to do some traveling. First trip is this month through May as campground hosts at a lighthouse in Oregon. They have around $200,000 in the checking account and cash and figure they'll never need to touch their IRA's until health reasons mandate. They have around $600,000 in IRA's in a 60/40 split.

His neighbor approached him this week to tell him they are planning to sell their house and wanted to know if he was interested. He thought it might be a good way to invest the cash he has as well as the extra income that keeps stacking up in his checking account. He's never been a landlord and isn't interested in active management. He wants to hire out a property manager to collect rent as well as take care of all aspects of the rental. The property is worth around $420,000. It's a 3 bed, 2 bath home on a main street with a park across the street and sidewalks. This is within 30 minutes of Sacramento, CA and right now the whole bay area dot-com industry seems to have taken to the idea of working from home with many of them buying up the real estate in the California central valley, especially Sacramento at an alrarming rate. Just as it has in most other feeder towns to large metro areas like San Francisco.
He called me to ask what I thought of the idea. The only two things I could think of were to try to mitigate any agent fees by going through a lawyer or CPA and to study up on the eviction laws as they would pertain to him as a landlord. I also questioned having the rental next door if his intent was to be an uninvolved landlord, but he figures they will be traveling for months at a time with short trips home for the next few years.

If anyone can offer him some advice on how to proceed, educate up, or run-not walk away from being a first time landlord, I'd appreciate it. Heck, is it even the best way to manage this sort of funds and excess income for that matter? Personally, I'd simply continue to gather the cash and maybe consider buying a second vacation home or condo for the whole family to enjoy. I'd also consider using the cash to pay taxes on the tIRA and roll it into ROTH at this time. I think he will do that, but that still leaves a lot of cash just sitting there doing nothing as well as the excess income.

He should not buy a rental.

It will complicate his taxes, and the forced depreciation will mean a huge tax bill when he sells.

He will make more in the stock market.
There is no discussion of his stock holdings in a taxable account :confused:

Ask him if he wants to be a small business owner. Even with a property management company taking profits, there is still a need for constant oversight.

A higher value/single family house is not a good rental at that price.

Given his robust financial picture, it looks like an unnecessary complication for little upside. (and a little extra cash is no upside in this case)

If he likes the house, he could buy it and keep it for a year and quite possibly make even more in appreciation than pure rent, and then not even have to bother about ending someone's lease - he can put it back on the market when he sees a 10% increase at any time.

The liability aspects - even buffered with a management company - probably not something to undertake lightly. And that buffer could well disappear if there's a knock at the door one night with a plumbing issue.

Everything I've read here says that SFH rentals are the hardest way to profit, in a normal non-pandemic economy.

Has he been sued before? Stocks/bonds don't sue you, tenants do. I definitely would not want to deal with that, especially as an absentee landlord.

I have considered the same. However, I decided I do not need the headaches at this point in my life.

Also, if I were going to do this, I would not buy the house next door. It is a bit like investing in company stock where you work. Need some geographic diversity. Also, having a rental next door can adversely affect your property values.

Those are my thoughts.

Given his robust financial picture, it looks like an unnecessary complication for little upside. (and a little extra cash is no upside in this case)

+1000

The whole idea makes zero sense to me. I would strongly recommend he simply invest whatever excess cash he has (~$200k?) into a low-cost total market ETF such as VTI or VT.

The main factor is the risk and hassle. Hard pass!

Having owned rentals for about 25 years I won't say RE is a bad investment, but the tradeoff is a lot of work and hassle with a very illiquid asset in the hope that a leveraged purchase will result in equity growth at the housing inflation rate times the leverage ratio. Buying with cash destroys the leverage and simply offers a ride on the local market's housing price growth. Or not.

Remember too, that the macro fact is that housing prices cannot grow significantly faster than household incomes because housing costs will never crowd out food purchases. So for one house in one area, the Dirty Harry question applies: "...you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?"

I'm out of that business and glad for it. I had a good ride, but part of it was doing the management myself. Hiring management probably sucks the rest of the juice out of his proposed deal. So, no. Not a good idea.

Thanks everyone for your input. I felt the same way but didn't want to squash my brother's dream of becoming a landlord. Ha! He's kind of a hot head at times, I hinted he may end up in prison and his tenant own his home after the lawsuit when he tries to evict after nonpayment and the use of a shotgun to enforce the eviction.
My brother worked for the state of California designing the computer system they have now for the adult penal system. He retired, then was hired back to do the same for the juvenile computer system. His greatest fear, he told me, was ending up as a prisoner in one of these places.
In a nut shell, I need to tell my brother that his years of saving and growing money is over and it's time to start spending it. To relax. Take it easy. 2 years in and he knows he's well funded for even more adventure than he's currently budgeting for.

If he wants to invest in real estate, then buy a vacation home or condo in a place that he likes to vacation. A friend of mine has a condo just south of Myrtle Beach and the condos are available to be rented out when he isn't using it... he uses it mostly in the winter so it is available for the prime season in the summer. From what I recall him telling me the summer rental income, even after management fees, comes pretty close to covering his costs of ownership... and since it is sort of a condo/hotel it is pretty hassle free.

I'm guessing that it still complicates his taxes a bit and there will be depreciation recapture when he sells, etc.

Thanks everyone for your input. I felt the same way but didn't want to squash my brother's dream of becoming a landlord. Ha! He's kind of a hot head at times, I hinted he may end up in prison and his tenant own his home after the lawsuit when he tries to evict after nonpayment and the use of a shotgun to enforce the eviction.
My brother worked for the state of California designing the computer system they have now for the adult penal system. He retired, then was hired back to do the same for the juvenile computer system. His greatest fear, he told me, was ending up as a prisoner in one of these places.
In a nut shell, I need to tell my brother that his years of saving and growing money is over and it's time to start spending it. To relax. Take it easy. 2 years in and he knows he's well funded for even more adventure than he's currently budgeting for.

Edit: I would suggest he RUN FAR AWAY from this. California is very friendly to tenants and not so much for land lords.

X6 or 7, whatever the count is that your brother should avoid this. All it will create is headache and hassle, for what? Maybe slightly better appreciation and return on investment than than he could get in the stock market? With much higher risk than stock market. Since he has plenty of income, why does he feel the need to increase his nestegg further than he already can with stock market investments? Just invest in low fee index funds that are no hassle and enjoy the painless returns.

I just do not see any reasonable justification for him to buy the house next door and then be subject to all the potential problems and time it takes. Even with prop mgmt company, sucking off a good percentage of the return, their costs for small repairs will further decrease the returns. Add in CA laws that are not in landlord favor.

and I would question whether a $400k home can generate enough income to pencil. Look at the 1% rule that is $4k/month. At that rate the tenant can buy a home.

I got out of the LL business in 2014 after I bought too high. It was excruciating. Bought high & sold low. Felt much better after the sale closed. Even after the proceeds bumped me into AMT

We have rentals. All the above points are valid. One element not mentioned is the absolutely untenable situation (at least to me) is having your tenants next door.

We have rentals. All the above points are valid. One element not mentioned is the absolutely untenable situation (at least to me) is having your tenants next door.

No kidding...

While at first blush the aspiring LL will think how easy it will be to keep an eye on the place.

That joy will quickly vanish the 5th time the tenant knocks on the door because of a noise the dishwasher/plumbing is making, or because the drain seems slower in the bathtub, or there might be an animal in the attic?

And there will be the anxious looking again and again, when the tenant does anything the LL thinks might damage the building/grass/garden/driveway.

And near your Sacramento area, I have a divorced friend who owns free and clear, the same basic type of home your brother is looking at. Several months ago he moved in with his girlfriend (nicer home) and left his home completely vacant.

I asked him why he hasn't at least rented it out for some easy money and his answer surprised me, but after thinking about it makes total sense. His worry in this pandemic world we live in now is that as soon as he rents it, the people will stop making rent payments or simply lose their job. And if and when this happens, no one in the world can evict these people because of the new pandemic laws. He'll be stuck with non-paying tenants. Certainly the last thing any landlord wants these days and it's happened a lot here in California.

For him, he'd rather leave it empty for awhile vs getting stuck with squatters.

Two reasons he should not buy "that house" as a rental.

1) It is right next door to his home, and unintentionally, he "will" get involved and step inadvertently on his rental management company. First time renter does something he doesn't like, or leaves the yard overgrown, there goes "hands off" policy.

2) If he wants to buy a rental, he should evaluate it financially for financial return, and is it a good buy in those terms. Not buy it "just because" it is next door.

I’m a ll and while it might be a good decision he should not buy the property. It might be a brilliant move, but it could also be a headache. I find that tenants have much lower pride of ownership and it shows. The house next door could drive down his property value and if he is not selecting tenants, he could also be stuck with the wrong neighbor.

Rentals are part of my retirement strategy and it has been good so far. But your brother has won the game, and I don’t see it being worth the additional work.

Back
Top Bottom