Cooks: Meal Preparation Strategies/Approaches

I would love to be on of those people that plan ahead (or at least, I think I would. If I really wanted to you could argue I would be that person). Either way, I don't.

The biggest PITA for me is deciding what to have each day. I don't get complicated. When in doubt grab a rotisserie chicken or some burgers for the grill and saute some broccoli. I have a "Fresh Market" that is 2 miles from my front door that i LOVE and visit every couple of days.

Every now and then I'll spend a few hours making a nice big pot of chili. Tonight we're having lamb chops that were on sale that I got yesterday. Tomorrow is baked chicken wings and then after that I have no idea and nothing to make it with!

Both DW and I adopted healthy(er) eating habits ~5 years back. We dropped processed foods, and, road warrior me gave up eating out (I started choosing hotels with kitchens and going grocery shopping night 1 of what was usually 4-5 nights on the road).

We both lost lots of weight without dieting- just less pie in the pie hole.

So, we don't skimp much on food; lots of stuff from farmers' market and deli's. I like to think of this as money we may not spend on medical care....

For our main meal, we swap duties. When it is my turn, the process is as follows.

What wine am I enjoying at the moment?
What pairs well with this wine?
Do we have it on hand? Most always - yes.
Do I have enough wine?!

Last edited:
You have a good link for the slow cooker? The only thing we ever made in it was corned beef and cabbage, it came out great but i needed a second pot anyway to fit the cabbage and extra veggies. Now it just takes up shelf space.

Although I haven't visited this site lately, back in 2008 when the author made crockpot meals every day for a year I did follow it and used several of her recipes:
A Year of Slow Cooking

My favorite slow cooker cookbook is Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook (there's a sequel out but I haven't looked at it yet). You can probably find it in your library.

I use mine nearly every Wednesday except in the summer due to DH and I having different dinner schedules.

My overall approach is to:
- keep a running list of pantry items that need to be restocked
- keep common proteins stocked in the freezer (boneless chicken breasts and thighs, shrimp, ground beef, steaks purchased on sale, etc.)
- decide on general meal plan for the week while making the shopping list (usually on Monday or Tuesday), based partly on what was good at the farmers' market on Saturday and needs to be used up

Usually I fix fresh fish on shopping day (whatever looks best, with tilapia or catfish as the backup). Beef usually only once a week, chicken twice, pork/veal/lamb once or twice, and vegetarian/seafood once or twice. I have a large file of recipes in Evernote and use my iPad as my main cookbook (although I also have a bookcase full of them). Leftovers are breakfast and lunch for DH, with extras going into the freezer for him to eat when I'm traveling.

I love cooking so this works well for us. We rarely eat out these days.

Both DW and I adopted healthy(er) eating habits ~5 years back. We dropped processed foods, and, road warrior me gave up eating out (I started choosing hotels with kitchens and going grocery shopping night 1 of what was usually 4-5 nights on the road).

We both lost lots of weight without dieting- just less pie in the pie hole.

So, we don't skimp much on food; lots of stuff from farmers' market and deli's. I like to think of this as money we may not spend on medical care....

For our main meal, we swap duties. When it is my turn, the process is as follows.

What wine am I enjoying at the moment?
What pairs well with this wine?
Do we have it on hand? Most always - yes.
Do I have enough wine?!

[emoji23] sounds good!

Crock-pot recipes. Where to begin, there are so many, some great, some realllly mediocre. I'd start with the main manufacturer: Crockpot.com their site used to be 4 or 5 basic recipes, now it's loaded with recipes that look scrumptious and are not basic low flavor low spice versions. Also, if you don't want to prepare by yourself, they have meals ready to order to go in the pot from Omaha Steak (didn't check out pricing on this one).

Slow Cooker Recipes | Crock-Pot

Use the search term slow cooker

Also look at eatingwell.com - you'll find many.
You will find some at allrecipes.com, but I caution most of these are edited, but are taste tested by others. YMMV.

- Rita

Generally speaking, frugality rules my decisions. If chicken is on a steep sale, like 50% off, I load up on it, cook it all at once, so I get that chore over and don't have to worry about it going bad in the fridge uncooked (don't want to freeze it, thaw it later). Gets sort of repetitive having chicken 7 days in a row, but that's how I roll. Different seasonings on different days, hot chicken vs cold chicken, with rice, in a sandwich, etc. My weber charcoal grill is my weapon of choice in summertime. When beef goes on sale, it gets charcoal grilled and becomes the next week's comestible.

I keep two lists in my kitchen.

1. Easy meals that my DH and I both like.
2. Meat/protein that is in the fridge or freezer that could make a meal for two.

This way we both can see what is available. We shop with a list once a week. I cook and DH has to pick what we have, unless there is something I am wanting to cook.

I would love to be on of those people that plan ahead (or at least, I think I would. If I really wanted to you could argue I would be that person). Either way, I don't.

The biggest PITA for me is deciding what to have each day. I don't get complicated. When in doubt grab a rotisserie chicken or some burgers for the grill and saute some broccoli. I have a "Fresh Market" that is 2 miles from my front door that i LOVE and visit every couple of days.

Every now and then I'll spend a few hours making a nice big pot of chili. Tonight we're having lamb chops that were on sale that I got yesterday. Tomorrow is baked chicken wings and then after that I have no idea and nothing to make it with!

That's why I tell DH is job is to decide. I like to cook, but I don't like coming up with the meal plan.

Generally speaking, frugality rules my decisions. If chicken is on a steep sale, like 50% off, I load up on it, cook it all at once, so I get that chore over and don't have to worry about it going bad in the fridge uncooked (don't want to freeze it, thaw it later). Gets sort of repetitive having chicken 7 days in a row, but that's how I roll. Different seasonings on different days, hot chicken vs cold chicken, with rice, in a sandwich, etc. My weber charcoal grill is my weapon of choice in summertime. When beef goes on sale, it gets charcoal grilled and becomes the next week's comestible.

Hahahaha, thats how i roll, love it, beat by your own drum. . I have a neighbor who I come to find out was raised by and inherited his grandmothers house. He walks to the supermarket and 4 days a week buys the 5.99 roasted chicken. He buys it after 7pm as its a buck cheaper. Necessity is the mother of all invention. He went on one evening to relate to me about a 167 different :LOL: roasted chicken recipes. It was like the scene from Forrest Gump when they talked about shrimp recipes. He rattled them off like a machine

Although there are days when I just say " I think I want to make ______", my meal prep process usually starts about 3:00 PM when I walk to the freezer and see what strikes my fancy as a protein source. I then check the fridge and pantry for produce at hand. I might also give some thought to the preparation method, in the summer, for instance, this means grilling.

....DW and I rarely think about specific meals when we are at the grocery, we are thinking about collecting raw materials for the food prep process. So we buy things that are on sale (especially seasonal produce) and we stock up in large quantities on things that are flexible and keep well, i.e chicken breasts. We also have a large stash of herbs and spices at hand so that we can dabble in lots of cooking styles.

Have you been spying on me and snooping through my kitchen? :LOL:

I love coming up with unexpected things--a little maple syrup in a chicken dish, flavored balsamic vinegar glazing for vegetables, almost charring broccoli in a saute pan. I often double or triple the spices a recipe might call for when I look something up online. DH will eat anything and so far we haven't had to throw anything away.

I have a cooking for two cookbook by America's Test Kitchen for reference (that and the Internet and Joy of Cooking are my go-to sources for inspiration), and it has small portion recipes for things like cookies and bread, that has been helpful. Although the "serves two" in many cases would serve four--we gained a little weight before we realized this.

Last edited:
DW and I are both decent but not great cooks (she's a great baker however). Since I'm retired and DW isn't (inexplicably), I make breakfast and dinner every day Mon-Fri - probably one of the reasons DW won't retire. She tells her friends and coworkers she has a 'personal chef.' :D

We've always eaten well, cooking from scratch 95% of the time, stilldo. But we eat better and healthier now than we did while we were both working. I have 3-4 standard breakfasts I make, I need some new choices. I have a repertoire of 20-30 dinners I make, and I rotate new items in and out from time to time. I usually decide what we're having for dinner all week on Monday (though that can change occasionally), allowing for requests from DW and taking advantage of what's in season or on sale (usually proteins), and then shop for groceries once or twice a week (local grocery chain, farmers market in season primary - Costco, Target and/or Whole Foods every couple of weeks). I also have a SS dry erase board in the kitchen so both of us maintain a list for staples, household items, etc.

It's not rocket surgery but the biggest change for us, and part of what allows us to eat better, healthier and more cost effectively (less ingredient waste) - when we were working we rarely made more than 2 servings. Not everything can be frozen of course, but many of my recipes freeze well (some soups and other entrees even improve with time) so I often make 6-10 servings. I also make 14 servings of brown or white rice at a time, always on hand. And adding pasta with/without sauce is easy. So is grilling, steaming or sautéing fresh vegetables. So putting together a nice meal many days is taking something out to thaw in the AM, and then throwing together veggies and/or a starch while the main entree is reheating. 15-20 minutes. Easy-peasy, lemon squeezy.

That's the pattern I've fallen into, and I think we eat better/cheaper than most restaurants most days. FWIW

I'm sure I'll get tired of cooking every day eventually, but frozen servings helps a lot. And once DW retires, she'll take over half the cooking again - right :confused:

Last edited:
We discuss, in very general terms, what we'll be preparing later in the week... Grocery shopping tends to have the standards (hamburger) and we rotate some of the other proteins) ribs vs whole chickens, vs pork loans, vs steak...

In general I want to know what meat I'm having for dinner earlier in the day or the previous day so it can be thawed if it was frozen. Since we put in stainless steel counters, though, we can thaw quicker. (Frozen salmon takes about 30 minutes on the counter if you flip them every 10 minutes... counter acts as a giant heat/cool sink.)

We figure out the sides and prep style somewhere before dinner... if it's going to be a rice side or base I need to start the (organic brown) rice 90 minutes before meal time.

Typical meal might be roasted whole chicken with roasted potatos/carrots as a side (cooked in same oven as chicken) plus salad or steamed broccoli. Every dinner has to have a green in our house.

Kids have started getting more interested in cooking so I've been offloading some of the work onto them.

Walking home from Mass this morning I passed by the fruit stand. The worker was changing the sign from Cubanelle peppers to Italian frying peppers. I stopped and asked him are they the same thing? He said "yup", but nobody around here seems buys them with the cubanelle name, so we are changing the name, hahahahah. I snapped up 5 of them, they had jumbo eggs on sale as per the window sign $1.19 , and a huge loaf of semolina bread. When I returned from my outing, I said "hey hon what do you think about this for lunch or dinner?" She said that will be dinner. Its hot and thats a quick cook. So tonight the BCG will be eating on the cheap, 3 bucks worth or peppers, a dollars worth of eggs, an onion(cents?) 3 bucks for the bread, a vine ripened tomato that needed a home already, and probably some shredded Mozzarella we had, dinner for 2! A very unplanned approach.

DH does a big grocery shop once/month and I make the list. I look at my recipes and decide what type of stuff I want to make. We then only have to go to grocery store for milk, fruit, etc in between. I make a big enough meal that we can eat it again the next day so only cooking every other day. We also eat out dinner twice a week and usually bring half of our meal home.

DH does a big grocery shop once/month and I make the list. I look at my recipes and decide what type of stuff I want to make. We then only have to go to grocery store for milk, fruit, etc in between. I make a big enough meal that we can eat it again the next day so only cooking every other day. We also eat out dinner twice a week and usually bring half of our meal home.

wow, once a month shopping. I would need a fridge the size of a U-haul.:D

Threads like this make me so glad I don't have a sophisticated palate. I'm very easily satisfied in the food department, so the vast majority of what I eat comes off my Big Green Egg smoker/grill. There's a lot to be said for simple.

What!? Whoah!! Hold on there! You mean there are others ways to cook food besides grilling / smoking?

Exodus 12:9 Do not eat the meat raw or boiled in water, but roast it over a fire....

Lots of great ideas! I'll have to try a few. Thanks everyone. Have any of you come up with a way to easily split something like curry into a "hot" side and "mild" side? DW doesn't care much for hot spices in her food and I love it. For many things I can just add hot sauce at the table, but it doesn't work so well for others.

Love to hear how people use crockpots/slow cookers. Around here, DW is the real slow cooker director. We use it a lot more in the colder weather, for some reason, and lamb is our favorite go to meat for the cooker.

I agree with the OP, jjquantz, and my method is very similar.

I shop weekly, but some weeks I don't get as many main dish items as others. I like going to the grocery store; I go with a list, but look for items on sale. I avoid most processed and pre-packaged foods. I bought 9 strip steaks on sale--and prepared 6 with prefrozen marinade, and vacuum sealed them for future. The rest were cooked before their expiration date. Another time I got 10 lbs of pork for $10. I cut it up, put BBQ rub on the 2-3 lb pieces, then sealed them and froze them. Never again--too much pork. One store sells 2 lb tubs of "bacon ends" for $2/lb. I divide it up, vacuum seal, and freeze. Then I thaw and cook as desired, for breakfast, or to make plain veggies more interesting.

I look at the calendar-who is home in the evening, so do I need to plan for myself, me and DH, DS, or all three? I've put a tentative protein source on the calendar on days that I cook so we all know. Other days I write in "on your own" which means leftovers, or frozen stuff, or whatever you want. DH doesn't cook. DS is learning to cook for himself but isn't ready to cook for all of us yet. He's likely to move out soon anyway. (maybe in two weeks, as he just had a fantastic job interview).

I tape a small notepad inside a cabinet door with masking tape. As I notice an item we will need, it gets written on the notepad. When I'm ready to shop, I tear off the list so it's mostly ready.

Before I shop I plan the evening meals for the week and write them on our family whiteboard calendar on the fridge. I do something simple, e.g.baked fish, look for recipes online, make something up, or use an old standby, such as a family recipe such as beef stroganoff or authentic from scratch Italian pasta sauce-- using stuff from the garden in the summer. This year I've grown zucchini, lettuce, spinach, and kale and I've incorporated these into meals in different ways.

I use sous vide a lot for beef, sometimes for chicken breasts, lamb, which I cook rarely, and pork. Thank you early-retirement forum for introducing me to sous vide. It really simplifies many meals and makes them restaurant quailty. Veggies are usually microwaved, roasted, or sauteed, or included in a stir-fry. I'm personally low carb, but I do a simple starch for DH and DS. Rice or pasta a pre-made garlic bread sticks.

I've learned to use my foodsaver vacuum machine to allow for more salad in my life. I chop up iceberg or romaine lettuce, put it in mason jars and vacuum seal. Stays perfect for two weeks.

Some things are decided by the time of year. My small garden is supplying us with greens, zucchini, and some tomatoes. By using my friend google, I've made zucchini or cauliflower-based pizza crusts or cheesy appetitzers. In the winter, more broccoli or frozen veggies.

Sometimes it's worth going ethnic--Indian food, Ethiopian dishes (the secret is in the spice mix, frankly), Mexican, Thai shrimp curry, stir fry, either Japanese, Chinese, or Thai style dishes, depending on the added flavors. It's easier to get more veggies into the main dish that way.

I always plan for leftovers. In my working days, that was important. In a small family, a good main meal can provide at least two more leftover meals when people are busy.

We figure out the sides and prep style somewhere before dinner... if it's going to be a rice side or base I need to start the (organic brown) rice 90 minutes before meal time.

I found a quicker method for brown rice a few years ago and now it's the only way I cook it.

Fill a midsize pot ⅔ full of water. Add a cup of brown rice (salt optional). Bring to a rolling boil then reduce heat to medium low. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes and then taste for doneness. When it's to taste, drain in a colander.

I love both that it's quicker and also that it doesn't require precise measurements.

DW uses chicken stock instead of water for her brown rice, and adds a touch of garlic and onion powder. That makes such a difference.

DW uses chicken stock instead of water for her brown rice, and adds a touch of garlic and onion powder. That makes such a difference.

I buy those packages of flavoured rice (when they're on sale for $0.99 :LOL: ) and add more rice to them. That reduces the salt content and I usually end up with 8 or 10 servings, some of which I'll freeze.

That's exactly what I do. I also use a good rice cooker so it always comes out perfect.

Lots of great ideas! I'll have to try a few. Thanks everyone. Have any of you come up with a way to easily split something like curry into a "hot" side and "mild" side?

It depends on whether it needs to be cooked with the spices/hot sauce added in the meal, or can be added after it's done.

If it has to be added in while cooking, I'll split the chili/curry/dough/hamburger/whatever into two pots or batches after it's all mixed together before the spicy stuff. If it can be added after cooking, I'll take my half and put it in a big mixing bowl and make it slap yo mamma hot.

Since more people have asked about slow cooker meals, here's where I typically start while looking for good recipes. Favorites include the Mississippi Pot Roast, Zuppa Toscana, Asian Style Turkey Meatballs.

Here
are
just
a
few others.

I take the lead on planning but it is definitely the KISS method. I grill she does veggies, usually roasted. We grill 2-3 times a week and cook for more than one meal. In between we make salads and soups. We eat out a couple of times a week usually with friends. We shop all the stores as we have 5 different chains nearby plus Costco.

I like to say we eat like kings but it's South Beach Diet.

Back
Top Bottom