Corsi–Rosenthal Box (Air Purifier)

TickTock

Full time employment: Posting here.
I heard about this on a Facebook group thread for the first time today.

"The Corsi–Rosenthal Box is a design for a do-it-yourself air purifier"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corsi–Rosenthal_Box

There's some discussion of efficacy and clean air delivery rate, although I don't think there's any studies/data on effectiveness at decreasing transmission rates.

If you want an air purifier for your home, there are plenty of nice models under $200 that are far smaller footprints and better looking than that contraption. Also, for ones home, as far as mine at least, it will focus on actual air improvement, cleaning, removing odors, etc.

If someone has an illness and lives in the house with you, this isn't going to do much unless you plonk them directly in front of it for the duration.

I saw the Youtube video of this a month or two ago. I forget where the reference came from.

The units can be assembled in around 15 minutes, last for months, and cost between US$50 and $150 in materials
My view - if you want an air purifier, just pay for a real/smart unit - they are not very expensive (same price range or slightly higher than what is stated above depending on model - certainly not 10x) and will provide more utility than this DIY version. This DIY version is not going to provide any indication of the air quality, while the smart ones do. A real purifier will come with some efficient design so you can place it on a night table, coffee table, or a convenient location and will look aesthetically pleasing. A real purifier will also come in various sizes appropriate for how large a room you're using it in.

The nice thing with the real/smart air purifiers - they are "smart". They can automatically come on if they sense air quality is deteriorating. You can set up rules, timers, schedules, etc. like other smart devices. The speed at which it runs is also selectable manually or through the app. Ours also have a sleep mode, where the fan speed goes very low and provides some low volume white noise, which is really great when sleeping.

The smart purifier also tells when it's time to replace the filter. With the DIY version, you really have no way of knowing when it's the right time. When you decide it is time, you need to completely rebuild it.

My belief - as indicated in the wiki link - it was really a quick and dirty solution/alternative for those stuck at home during Covid. In the long run, I don't believe this DIY version is going to save much money and you really don't have a good indication of how effective it is without buying an additional sensor.

Well... I built one a couple weeks ago after a roof leak meant we would be having some ceiling repair and drywall dust in our house. Had a box fan, a 3 pack and single 20"x20" filters cost just under $20 at HD.

box filter fan.jpg

Worked well for me, cut the outlet air speed to a 1/4, which meant less blowing around while trapping dirt inside the throwaway filters. Easy to move around - I should have turned the filters 90 degrees for strength, but it wasn't an issue. I'd be way happier with it vs. a fancy schmancy one that cost about $180 that the gal bought if we had air quality around 160, as we did during some fires up north a few years ago. Hers is much quieter but I'd bet it doesn't move 10% of the volume as the cheapy and the cheapy can filter as small particulates as you want to buy filters for.

Yeah we got a nice compact air purifier a couple of years ago. It responds to the air quality in the house and speeds up the fan if air needs cleaning. Noticeable after cooking certain foods.

Have used a HEPA air filter in the bedroom for years. Not a small unit since it needs to be able to cycle the room air a couple times per hour. The Coway 400 we’ve had for the past 5 years is much quieter (22 dB, runs all night long) than our Honeywell from 15 years ago, and more efficient too. These units goes on sale periodically, as do the filters.

If someone can convince me that these things actually work and are needed then I'd be interested. When I looked into these things it seemed to me that I should just go with my current unfiltered air. It's gotten me this far at 76. :)

DH is obsessive over air quality. A couple of years ago he got us the nice indoor air filter as well as mounting a Purple Air air quality sensor outside the house. We sometimes get a lot of smoke from Mexico agriculture.

DH is obsessive over air quality. A couple of years ago he got us the nice indoor air filter as well as mounting a Purple Air air quality sensor outside the house. We sometimes get a lot of smoke from Mexico agriculture.

When we've had smoke due to local fires (brief and scary) we have run the AC which goes through our furnace filter.

I have a more two dimensional version of the above contraption. A 20x20 furnace filter taped to a 20x20 input side of a box fan. I have noticed that when I run it in the cooler weather the amount of dust that gathers on furniture is down quite a bit. And the filter certainly gets dirtier.

I don't run it in warmer weather since that is when I have the windows open more and plenty of new dust comes in. No point in filtering the great outdoor's air.

We have three Germ Guardian UV air purifiers throughout the house, bought during Covid, but have kept them going non stop ever since. One is supposed to clean 1700 sq feet once per hour, but with a long, broken up Ranch style house, I bought more.
They are so helpful with my allergies and when we have had wildfire smoke. Also helpful with prevention of general household cooking and "doggy" smells. I have noticed a decrease in dust in the home since using.
Vacuum the filters once a month and change out filters every 6 months or so. I love them.

Back
Top Bottom