Costco Roast Chickens

Another Reader

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Here in the south SF Bay Area, there have been supply problems for the chickens that Costco roasts and sells for $4.99. Yesterday they were not delivered to any of the stores. They are supposed to have them today.

Not a critical part of the diet, but nice to pick up occasionally. My guess is bird flu and/or the animal welfare issues at their barns may be to blame. Is this problem local or are other areas experiencing shortages? Anyone have the scoop on the cause?

Here in the south SF Bay Area, there have been supply problems for the chickens that Costco roasts and sells for $4.99. Yesterday they were not delivered to any of the stores. They are supposed to have them today.

Not a critical part of the diet, but nice to pick up occasionally. My guess is bird flu and/or the animal welfare issues at their barns may be to blame. Is this problem local or are other areas experiencing shortages? Anyone have the scoop on the cause?

It was in the news recently that if one chicken is found infected with bird flu, then the entire coop of chickens must be destroyed. And this has been causing regional shortages of chickens.

This could be a serious problem for Costco. I would consider selling short the stock ASAP!!!

Costco could make a giant profit by raising the prices by only $1 (it sold 87 million rotisserie chickens in 2017 alone). But instead, the store keeps the prices low on its famous rotisserie chickens and other staples as an incentive to get shoppers in the door.
Just kidding on the short selling idea. Now, if they had issues with their supply of boxed Kirkland Signature wine...... :eek:

I believe Costco has their own supply chain for their loss leader rotisserie chickens. Like others they contract with local farmers to raise the birds. The chicks, grain and procedures are controlled by the buyer. The farmer is basically under contract to provide the facility and labor.

Back
Top Bottom