Could the recession be good for your health?

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Here is an interesting review article from today's Canadian Medical Association Journal.

The effect of economic recession on population health -- Bezruchka 181 (5): 281 -- Canadian Medical Association Journal

The author notes that as far back as the 1920s, there was evidence that economic expansions were not good for our health, but that the concept never caught on because it was counterintuitive. Now we know that mortality rates in OECD countries are inversely related to economic cycles. A country's wealth does not seem to be associated with better health above a GDP of $5000-$10,000. Health is less correlated with health care than with the presence of social safety nets.

While being involuntarily unemployed is associated with poor health, in fact, when we lose a job, the "increased leisure time can be used for friendships, exercise and enjoyable physical activity and can be spent with family" Smoking, alcohol use, overeating and stress all decline during recessions.

This would appear to be congruent with the experience of already RE folks on this board!

Fascinating! I also read something lately that said during the depression and the recent recession crime rates have gone down. Also counter-intuitive.

I can see where living more abstemiously would be good for the health. Also, I do think one focuses more on the important things when money is tight: staying healthy, eating more nutrious home cooked meals, spending more time with loved ones, getting along as one needs the support of family and friends more, appreciating the little things and the things that money can't buy.

Fascinating! I also read something lately that said during the depression and the recent recession crime rates have gone down. Also counter-intuitive.

Good Im tired of picking the flyers off my car about the property crime rates in my area going up.

Back
Top Bottom