Cremated ashes through USPS

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have offered my help to a cousin in Texas that can't fulfill a request that her mother had requested. Her wish was to have her remains come back to her state she was born and raised.

This cousin for a few very good reasons, can't fulfill that wish of her mothers. I offered to take care of my aunts request, if my cousin would be able to send the cremated ashes to me in Montana and I would do the rest.

I'm not totally trilled about doing it, but I thought I would at least give her that option.

I wasn't so sure it was legal to send human ashes through the mail, but USPS has very detailed processes and is completely legal to do.

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with a loved one ashes traveling through the mail?

I'm not sure this event will happen but I'm able too, so I offered. Kind of a bizarre thing I know.

No, but I noticed that the funeral parlor put my DF’s ashes in a sealed urn (box) that my sister said was designed for transportation, such as an airplane.

I imagine that a funeral home could arrange transport.

I would not have thought sending ashes would require anything special other than making sure they are well sealed.

Now sending an actual body, I think requires all sorts of special permissions.

Cremated ashes are completely sterilized and inert. I do not see that shipping it causes any problem, other than to prevent spillage.

I hope USPS has a special process for handling this.

It would really be unfortunate if they lost the package.

I just couldn't send the ashes of a loved one, or any human being, through the USPS. You all are stronger than I am, for sure! Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I think I’d spend a few extra dollars and do something like UPS next day air. I’ve shipped a few guns and that’s the recommended process so it’s tracked the entire way. I’d struggle with USPS given their current processing issues, though my mail carrier says things are getting better finally.

I don't beleive I would send remains through the mail system either but I don't use the word never.
Cremated Remains may only be shipped using Priority Mail Express if going through USPS and they have the special packaging/safety for shipment if you desire to use their product.

This reminds me of the movie "Lonesome Dove". When Gus requested to partner Woodrow, that his body be taken back to Texas for burial, when he was dying in Montana when the natives did a number on him. That was an interesting journey with a body in a small wagon back to Texas. Lol

Last edited:
I think I’d spend a few extra dollars and do something like UPS next day air. I’ve shipped a few guns and that’s the recommended process so it’s tracked the entire way. I’d struggle with USPS given their current processing issues, though my mail carrier says things are getting better finally.

This. USPS is better than december, but still not back to normal. They also do not handle loss claims as well as they used to - no research is done besides telling you what the tracking says and to be patient.

But whichever service is used, spring for a highly insured Next Day type. If you must use USPS, I'd wait until March - for valentines to be behind us and Mother's Day to be well enough ahead.

The crematorium sent my Mothers ashes back to us via USPS. The postal worker hand carried them to the door and rang the bell to hand them off. This was several years ago.

The crematorium sent my Mothers ashes back to us via USPS. The postal worker hand carried them to the door and rang the bell to hand them off. This was several years ago.

WOW! That is an admirably and commendable action that they did. I do beleive they (USPS) have a protocol with delivery of remain like you say.

Thanks for your input.

I've done this , with my FIL's ashes. The postal department has strict rules on the packaging - all seams have to be paper taped and the package marked with the contents. As I recall, I sent them premium shipping with the best possible tracking. Pops arrived just fine.

If they are labeled/shipped as required by the USPS and you elect insurance, then the odds of them being lost is pretty slim. A house fire could also result in the loss of cremains, but folks tend to accept this risk, right?

I have offered my help to a cousin in Texas that can't fulfill a request that her mother had requested. Her wish was to have her remains come back to her state she was born and raised.

This cousin for a few very good reasons, can't fulfill that wish of her mothers. I offered to take care of my aunts request, if my cousin would be able to send the cremated ashes to me in Montana and I would do the rest.

I'm not totally trilled about doing it, but I thought I would at least give her that option.

I wasn't so sure it was legal to send human ashes through the mail, but USPS has very detailed processes and is completely legal to do.

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with a loved one ashes traveling through the mail?

I'm not sure this event will happen but I'm able too, so I offered. Kind of a bizarre thing I know.

Yep, and AFAIK USPS is the only carrier of the big 3 that willing to handle cremains.

It's also fun to get a box with a big "HUMAN CREMAINS" label on it.

Mom didn't arrive until literally the morning of her funeral service...I had to leave the church and go get her once notified she'd arrived at my home...which spawned a number of jokes about mom always being late...even to her own funeral, almost.

Last edited:
Yep, and AFAIK USPS is the only carrier of the big 3 that willing to handle cremains.

It's also fun to get a box with a big "HUMAN CREMAINS" label on it.

Mom didn't arrive until literally the morning of her funeral service...I had to leave the church and go get her once notified she'd arrived at my home...which spawned a number of jokes about mom always being late...even to her own funeral, almost.

Lol!!!! Not laughing at a sad time but I did have to laugh of the humor you shared.
Thanks that was fun.

Back
Top Bottom