Cross USA Roadtrip

GravitySucks

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Driving from NY to Northen California to move DGF.
First days hiking hrs were Allegheny park in the Southern Tier.
Day 2 highlight were Cleveland and the lakefront. Plus the corn fields of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa. Looks like we'll have plenty of corn. Pop all you want.

Traveling on I80. Any must stop and see coming up in Nebraska or Wyoming? (Traveling with a dog so outdoor attractions are what we're mainly interested in. )

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

First thing that comes to mind: Devils Tower in WY.

I'd say be sure to hit Aunt Sally's Praline stand in Ohio, then Bent Fork Tennessee, and be sure to stop off in Albuquerque to see Ethel Maye Potter sing "Shortnin' Bread" followed up by "My Hero, from the Chocolate Soldier" at the town theatre. :D

Sorry, I've been watching too much "I Love Lucy"... :cool:

I like the Pony Express Museum in Gothenburg, Nebraska

https://www.google.com/maps/place/O...Station+&+Museum!3m1!1s0x0:0x8a22257f00392321

And the Union Pacific Big Boy steam locomotive in Omaha

Lauritzen Gardens - Omaha Botanical Center

Do some hiking at Starved Rock State Park in central Illinois

Starved Rock State Park | Voted the #1 attraction in the state of Illinois!Starved Rock State Park

Can't think of anything along I 80 in Wyoming. Every attraction I like in Wyoming was a lot farther north

I like the Pony Express Museum in Gothenburg, Nebraska

https://www.google.com/maps/place/O...Station+&+Museum!3m1!1s0x0:0x8a22257f00392321

And the Union Pacific Big Boy steam locomotive in Omaha

Lauritzen Gardens - Omaha Botanical Center

Do some hiking at Starved Rock State Park in central Illinois

Starved Rock State Park | Voted the #1 attraction in the state of Illinois!Starved Rock State Park

Can't think of anything along I 80 in Wyoming. Every attraction I like in Wyoming was a lot farther north

There is also a big boy loco in Cheyenne, Wy as well as in Denver.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Day three was a bit of a bust. Had to do some auto maintenance so had little sight seeing time. Lutizen Gardens was closed by the time we got there.
Days highlights were seeing the Ipwa capital done. My first and hopefully last visit to a Whole Foods. Tops of the day was lunch at Chik Fil A ( not available in NY. )

The capitol building in Lincoln NE is just amazing and worth the stop. They have tours which are quite informative & entertaining. Free.

The warehouse district there has a couple of interesting restaurants & at least one brewery.

Attachments

• Lincoln-10.jpg
    Lincoln-10.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Lincoln-2.jpg
    Lincoln-2.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Lincoln-13.jpg
    Lincoln-13.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 11
First thing that comes to mind: Devils Tower in WY.

Ugh. Just occurs to me that you are traveling on I80, not I90. Scratch out Devils Tower.

Last edited:
West of Cheyenne, you will drive through the smallest town in the US: Buford, with the population of 1 on 10 acres of land.

Buford made the news a couple of years ago, when it was sold to the current Vietnamese owner. It has one house, one gas station, and a post office. It has the highest elevation (8000 ft) on the entire I80. So, when you get to Buford, it's downhill from there.

The Web says that the previous owner still operates the gas station and convenience store.

Last edited:
Day 4 brought the Pony Express Museum, the Sod House Museum, Boot Hill, Medicine Bow National Forest and a mid night soak at Saratoga Hot Springs.
I'm exhausted. 😀

The capitol building in Lincoln NE is just amazing and worth the stop. They have tours which are quite informative & entertaining. Free.

Thanks for posting the pictures. I've probably driven straight past Lincoln half dozen times and never bothered to stop. Will have to correct that in a future trip.

Saw the sign for Buford Pop 1 but didn't stop. Lincoln looks nice thanks for the photos.
Decided to spend another day in Saratoga Wy to rest up. Hit the river hot springs and back to the municipal springs. Nice little town with people stopping from all over to soak.

Day 6 we took a detour to see Fossil Butte and Bear Lake in Utah/Idaho. Fossil Butte was a bit of a bore for me but Bear Lake is beautiful.

Day 7 we visited Salt Lake City and toured the grounds of the LDS Temple. Lovely grounds and nice people but not a place to visit with a dog in tow and a 103 F day.
Spending the night in Winnemucca. Should be good weather for Tahoe tomorrow.

Tahoe was gorgeous. Mega corp sent me there for a 4 day conference years ago but I didn't get to see the natural beauty as I was stuck in a windowless conference room during daylight hours.
We visited Sierraville Springs and stayed off prem in a rustic cabin. Very nice hot spring in a very small town with friendly people.
Clearlake CA. was the only bad part of the trip so far. Whole town smelled of decaying vegetation and sewage. Plus everywhere we stopped people told us to lock up or the tweakers will steal everything.
From there we drove down the Napa valley to see the vineyards and finally up to or destination of Humbolt County.

Last edited:
...and I'm back home. Saw Crater Lake, Boise ID.,Jackson Hole WY., Devils Tower (thanks for the suggestion NW-Bound), Mt. Rushmore, and Madison WI.

Thank to Trombone Al and his lovely wife for the bike trip and picnic lunch. They live in a very pretty and unique part of the world.

Clearlake is in the poorest (Lake) county in CA. A lot of tweakers and high population of sexual offenders call it home. I have family there and visit a few times a year. There are a lot of decent folks around but you cannot deny the fact that there are a lot of problem people. The lake is low and the algae bloom stinks most years in late summer. Was that area near your destination? I would have suggested a trip down to Monterey Bay before heading home.

Glad you had a fun trip!

Back
Top Bottom