Cruise Disaster news not disiminated

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
5 Killed In Alaska Sightseeing Plane Crash - News Story - WPLG Miami

The floatplane left Ketchikan shortly before 1:30 p.m. for a tour over Misty Fiords National Monument. It was reported missing after a Taquan dispatcher tried to contact the plane for 20 minutes without success, Laurance said.

The downed plane was located on land near the south arm of Rudyerd Bay about 35 miles northeast of Ketchikan.

The passengers on board were traveling on the Sun Princess, an 856-foot ship with Princess Cruises that was on the second day of a seven-day roundtrip cruise from Seattle. The vessel left Ketchikan two hours after its scheduled departure of 4:30 p.m.

The names of the pilot and passengers were not immediately released.

The cruise ship company has cut off Taquan Air tours at this time, Princess spokeswoman Julie Benson said in a prepared statement. Princess also notified the families of the passengers.

DW and I just returned from a cruise in Alaska on Sunday PM and I recall seeing the Sun Princess in either Ketchikan or Skagway. Anyway, we flew on an excursion out of Juneau around the same time however neither our ship (ms Statendam) nor the flight company (ERA) found it necessary to mention it to us. It would not have made any difference as out helicopter flight was beautiful, safe, and event free. But, I would have appreciated a heads up as my MIL heard the news and assumed the worst. We did not give her a call to say "hi,we're back" until today when she advised us of the tragic event and her angst in assuming the worst.

Don't you think that someone should have at least mentioned it to their customers?

I think it would have been bigger news if the ship had hit something and were killed but it seems as if they were treating this as if a passenger had gotten off the ship and was killed in an auto accident.

Back
Top Bottom