Cruising The Caribbean

Hey Shok, nice to hear from you again. How do you access the internet at sea?

Martha:

Well, it is quite difficult unless you have a $10,000 skylink access. However in most ports of call there are internet cafes where for between $5 - $15 per half hour you can get access on their computers, or plug your computer in. In some rare cases like NOW. We are in Barbuda anchored off Palmetto Point. The local Hotel has wirelss internet for their guests, so we can tap it from the boat on our wireless computers. Not the norm. But occasionally there is an unsecured router that you can tap into. I know a few, there is one in Marigot on St. Maarten, and another at Nanny Cay marina in the BVIs. Most ports have a pay as you go wireless now. So you can connect and put your credit card in and get half hour for $9.95. Other than that, it is touch and go.

SWR

Good to hear from you, but I'm jealous. :)

FYI, you can make a high gain directional WiFi antenna cheaply that may help you reach farther from the boat to other access points. Do a Google search for pringles antenna and you'll see plans for making one out of a Pringles can and links to other homemade antennas.

You can probably buy a high gain antenna, too.

I know there are databases of public access points, but I'm not sure if they include Caribbean islands.

Dog50:

You need a friend with a boat, that will put up with you for 6 months and not make you pay for EVERYTHING that goes wrong along the way. There is NO WAY I would get my own boat. It is just too expensive. This 45' Cat get's problems occasionally. I am an Engineer so at least I do the labor, but the autopilot gave up last year and it cost $600 for parts that I installed and tested. That does not include insurance, mooring, storage for the summer in a non hurricane area.

SWR

If I was handy and could "live aboard". I would love to try the lifestyle. Alas, neither is the case. I can't fix much of anything and my circumstances won't permit
living aboard perpetually. I will always have a boat or 2
though. Boats are a necessity of life for me, just like
food and oxygen.

JG

Well all, we are in our 3rd month is winter cruising the caribbean. I have just updated the WEB site, you can see how we are doing there.

www.impconcepts.com/cruisingthecaribbean.htm

We will be on board till the sun and warmth returns to the Northern US and Canada.

SWR

A couple of years ago DW and I spent week in Tortola. Stayed at Frenchman's Cay on one end of the island. I was impressed by the number sailboats that were there. Even got over to Virgin Gorda one day. We've also done a brief stay in St. Thomas and St. Croix.

But, of course, you are doing it right. I'm envious!

Re. "envious", me too. Wish I was 40 again
(or even 50) :)

JG

That looks like so much fun... it seems as though you see more in a month than most do in years.

This is a dumb question.... do you have to look out for pirates? :confused:

You don't have to go cruising to find "pirates".
They are quite numerous without ever leaving port :)

JG

Pirates are not an issue really. You read about the odd occurance but it is vey rare and usually in Venuzalia (Spelling??) or Trinidad.

We are now back in St. Martin. This weekend we will be heading for Tobago Cays in the Grenadines. Never been there, looking forward to it. No more free internet though, so I will be leaving less posts.

SWR

This is a dumb question.... do you have to look out for pirates? :confused:

Arrr....shiver me timbers...is it national talk like a pirate day again already?

Whoops, sorry...false alarm.

Well we are in St. Lucia now for a few days. We were sailing from Nevis to Tobago Cays, but No Wind! So we stopped off here after 30 hours slow sailing and motoring. Nice here...

SWR

Back
Top Bottom