Does a SNF require social security numbers?

TrvlBug

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just received a call from the SNF/rehab facility that is admitting DH from the hospital in 1.5 hours. They stated they had to have his SS number as Medicare requires it. Sounds fishy to me but I'm between a rock and a hard place at this point. Getting into a good facility was a nightmare as he also has Covid and we had to find a facility that could take him.

I don't want to wait on the phone with Medicare to get the answer and am hoping some here knows. I think I'm being lied to but can't be sure. Does anyone know?

I have no idea if it is required but we gave it when my mom went into one...

I always assumed they want the SSN to they have a way to track you down if you fail to pay.

I always assumed they want the SSN to they have a way to track you down if you fail to pay.

That's what I assume. I just got annoyed when they said that Medicare required that they get the SSN. Just doesn't make sense to me. I guess they'll run a credit check to make sure you can afford the phone and cable TV :LOL:.

I don't want to wait on the phone with Medicare to get the answer and am hoping some here knows. I think I'm being lied to but can't be sure. Does anyone know?

What exactly do you think a facility like that would do with a SSN other than bill Medicare? What do you think is fishy - they opened a rehab facility so they could do identity theft?

The patients in Assisted living & higher care typically are on self pay (or insurance). When that runs out it is billed to Medicare. Nothing fishy here

The Medicare number used for billing is no longer the person's SSN.

The patients in Assisted living & higher care typically are on self pay (or insurance). When that runs out it is billed to Medicare. Nothing fishy here

That....doesn't make sense. Wouldn't someone use up their Medicare benefits first? What you're describing sounds like Medicaid.

I'd think nothing of it most medical providers ask me for mine.

I do not give my social security number to any medical office. They can have my Medicare number and my account number for my Medicare Advantage plan. There is no need to provide your ssn. The social security number is for tax and payroll purposes only.

Millions of American's medical records were stolen in a recent invasion of medical insurance and service providers. It’s highly likely tha tyour SSN and much more is now out on the dark web.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ta-was-breached-see-our-database/73258259007/

After breaking records in 2023, the most significant breach hit in February when a ransomware attack targeted Change Healthcare, the nation's largest health care payment system owned by UnitedHealth Group. The company handles a third of all patient records and processes 15 billion health care transactions a year, according to an HHS letter.

https://medcitynews.com/2024/04/change-healthcares-cyberattack-cybersecurity/
More than 133 million patient records were breached last year, marking a 156% increase in similar breaches from 2022. This begs the question: Why is the healthcare sector so susceptible to cyberattacks — do healthcare organizations not invest enough in cybersecurity?

Last edited:
What exactly do you think a facility like that would do with a SSN other than bill Medicare? What do you think is fishy - they opened a rehab facility so they could do identity theft?

Doesn't Medicare use your Medicare number and not your SSN?

I'd think nothing of it most medical providers ask me for mine.

When i was in college i had it printed on my checks. . . no joke. It was my student id and required to cash checks (no car, no atm access) and heck the posted our grades on the wall back then listed by SSN.

I don't advertise it anymore but I assume there is nothing secret either. Some people will be lucky and it will never be stolen and some won't.

When i was in college i had it printed on my checks. . . no joke. It was my student id and required to cash checks (no car, no atm access) and heck the posted our grades on the wall back then listed by SSN.

I don't advertise it anymore but I assume there is nothing secret either. Some people will be lucky and it will never be stolen and some won't.

It used to be printed on the Medicare card itself up to around 2017 I believe.

It used to be printed on the Medicare card itself up to around 2017 I believe.

Yes, I remember it being printed on both of my parents' cards.

Back
Top Bottom