Down to last year of working

Rivrider

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi

Found this forum about a month ago and decided to join.

A few years ago, decided that I would retire and the end of 2008 :D. If things go well, may be able to pull the plug a little earlier than that. Judging from what I've been reading here, looks like I'm doing same as most of you. Staying out of debt other than mortgage. Mortgage is a 15 year fixed which been paying extra on when I can. Have a modest house in the midwest where they are still affordable. Car has lots of miles still left in it so that should be a problem for a while.

After retirement, plan to do something I've been wanting to do for years. Take a cross country bicycle tour. Would have done it sooner, but couldn't get two months off from work. Other than that, still thinking about what else to do. Have some ideas, but nothing definate. Mostly living for me rather than the job.

Hope to be posting here from time to time, and keeping up with what the rest are up to.

Welcome Rivrider! 2008 will be the end of work for me too! I'm looking forward to it, but a bit nervous too. Updated my finances at the end of the year and saw the bottom line a bit lower than it had been before. And my personal laptop flaked out on Dec 31, so I started the new year with a big purchase. And my garbage disposal went out last week so I got to thinking about how home repairs could be higher than I budgeted for. As it gets closer I know I'll have more doubts, but I think I've set up a comfortable cushion.

I know a couple people who have biked across the US, and loved it. It should be a great chance to clear you mind and set a course for other things you might want to do in retirement, while cutting free from the job.

Welcome Rivrider! A cross country bike tour sounds like a great way to kick off retirement. I did RAGBRAI across Iowa a few years ago and it was a blast.

Welcome Rivrider. I got back into biking last year so your dream plan resonates. Good luck with that.

After retirement, plan to do something I've been wanting to do for years. Take a cross country bicycle tour. Would have done it sooner, but couldn't get two months off from work.

So, are you planning to go with a tour company, or use cycling maps to do it yourself ?
Northern, middle, or southern route ? East to west or vice versa ? Time of year ?
Camping, motel, or both ? Self-contained or SAG'ed ? Done much touring before ?

Welcome! And congratulations on your hard work to LBYM!

Welcome Rivrider. If you take the northern route across the US for bicycles you'll bicycle right by the road to my house on your way East to Preist River ID. In the summer the scenery is stunning. Now its just snow.

So, are you planning to go with a tour company, or use cycling maps to do it yourself ?

I am probably going with a tour company. Camping for a week or so is one thing. doing it for three months may be more than I want to take on:rolleyes:.

Most likely go a Northern route from Oregon to New Hampshire.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom