Dune (Movie) 2022, 4K UHD blu-ray, Dolbyvision on Sale

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Thought I'd share this with the group. I'd been waiting for this movie to go on sale, and yep, it's on sale!

71% off, Regular price $33.99, on sale for $9.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Dune-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B09MDHXGST

I've read Dune, the novel, a couple of times and read most of the sequels. I've seen the 1984 movie (OK) and the SyFy channel miniseries (tolerable) but I've never seen the big budget 2021 release. Can't wait to see it!

Last edited:
The 1984 version of the movie was terrible, but the 2022 version was epic. I watched it two times on HBO Max (or Max).

You will enjoy the 2021 version very much (it was released October 2021). I saw it in the theater and on HBO Max. And they've released a trailer for the sequel. Thanks for the heads up. I might order it too.

You will enjoy the 2021 version very much (it was released October 2021).

OK. I guess the blu-ray was released in 2022. That's what it said on its page on Amazon.

For $10, I don't see how you can go wrong. If you only watch it once, it's cheaper than going to the theater. I suppose you could rent it for $4.99 or thereabouts on some streaming service.

Thanks for the notice! $10 for a 4K disc like Dune is a very good deal. For anyone who has the product, what kinds of Special Features are included, if any? I always enjoy those.

The 1984 version of the movie was terrible, but the 2022 version was epic. I watched it two times on HBO Max (or Max).

I loved the 1984 version. It was a grade A B movie. Sting was pretty weak, but for the most part I really enjoyed it. The 2021 version was much more serious attempt at giving a classic book it's due, and I'm looking forward to part 2. I'm glad they redid it, but I'll always have a soft spot for the first one.

Thanks for posting this.
My cousins went to high school with Kyle MacLachlan and I really enjoyed the first movie, having read the book. It had a heck of a cast.

Regarding this movie version of the book.... DW maybe read the book, but if so only once in high school. Two of our sons and I basically had the essentials of the book (and several of its sequels) memorized. We all really enjoyed this movie. Hopefully, you will as well. :)

Received the 4K disc today. The bluray disc has over an hour of special features:

The Royal Houses
The Spice Melange
The Sardaukar Battle
Inside Dune
Building the Ancient Future
My Desert, My Dune
Constructing the Ornithopters
Designing the Sandworm
Beware the Baron
Wardrobe from Another World
A New Soundscape

A lot of content to enjoy. The bluray disc looks very good. The 4K disc is hard to stop watching (I was sampling the 2 discs to make sure everything played flawlessly).

Best adaptation of the novel, by far. Truly epic visual and audio experience. The 4k Dolbyvision surround sound is awesome.

The problem is the movie format cannot convey the complexities of the story, nor can it develop characters as well as the novel. This is true for most movie adaptations, but Dune is especially difficult. It seemed like the script didn't even try, though. My DW was going to watch it but it got kind of late before I started it. I'm kind of glad she didn't watch because it's not for the uninitiated, which is a shame. I would have spent a lot of time explaining the backstory to her (or anyone, for that matter.)

It seemed very true to the book. Although it's been about 40 years since the last time I read Dune (I think I re-read it just before the first movie came out), I remembered all the character's names and almost all of the plot. It was kind of fun to see someone on screen and guess their name(s) before it was spoken. Having the names of various equipment and other objects spring to mind before their description was fun too.

Not slowly paced, but kind of plodded along between furious action scenes. I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10 and most of that score is because of the production values. There better be a second part because I felt the story was just picking up steam when it ended.

Back
Top Bottom