EGO 18" chainsaw update

When I replaced my 5AH battery, it was literally cheaper to buy a new blower with a battery and charger than it was to buy the battery by itself. So I bought the package and sold my old blower to regain a bit of the cost.

This is one of my pet peeves with battery operated tools. They put new tools on sale with a battery for less than just getting the battery (or is so close you might as well buy new). Then you have a perfectly good tool that you’ll never use again. Very wasteful.

This is one of my pet peeves with battery operated tools. They put new tools on sale with a battery for less than just getting the battery (or is so close you might as well buy new). Then you have a perfectly good tool that you’ll never use again. Very wasteful.

Either use the extra tool for parts or sell it to someone who already has a battery.

My 7.5AH mower battery wasn't charging up all the way, and was running out of power quickly when mowing. I tried cleaning the contacts which seemed to help slightly, but then the mower just stopped while mowing. Further cleaning didn't help, and it wouldn't charge anymore. It was dead.

That's not great but so far so good for my mower batteries. My oldest is now three years old and is lasting as long as a new one I got earlier this year with a backpack blower. For those wanting to clean the contacts, I tried cleaning them without disassembly and was entirely unsuccessful. It's too hard to get inside the plastic body of the battery, so I would encourage anyone with problems to open them up to get at the spring contacts inside the unit. I was intending to replace any bad cells (they are not expensive as single cells - there's just a lot of them) but as I said above all mine were ok with no expansion of the heat sensitive collar around the cells.

Back
Top Bottom