Electronics for long-term travel?

My wife used to use a Microsoft Surface tablet computer. It worked pretty well for what it did. However, like many notebook or tablet computers, it is not the same as having a fully functional laptop. Tablet computers don't always run all the software that a laptop can run, and she found this frustrating.

I suspect this must have been the first Surface, the RT. Indeed, this did not run all conventional windows apps. But from Surface 3 onwards, Surfaces have all had the full Windows 10 OS and have run all Windows apps. (Admittedly, something like Photoshop on a Surface 3 was pretty slow, but it did run.)

I use a 2017 Surface Pro 5. It runs Photoshop, Lightroom, and pretty much anything I throw at it. Really, it should be viewed as an ultraportable PC rather than a tablet. Yes, it can be used as a tablet, but if that's all you need, you should probably get an iPad, and accept the limitations of iOS.

oK .... suppose I just go with an iPad and figure out how to do my taxes on one or on a tablet. My 2013 iPad has a dying battery so I need to replace it.

(1). IPad or iPad Pro? For. “Non-creative” types whose primary usage would be spreadsheets and taxes, which would be less frustrating?

(2). My complaint about iPads has been file management and getting files off the iPad, given the lack of a USB drive. Not having Mouse connectivity is another issue as I do not do well with touch screens for editing. Can I get around these issues to make an iPad my laptop replacement? Bluetooth mouse?
I've traveled with a Nexus 10" tablet, and it is great streaming movies, social media, etc. What I have found just recently, is that the latest Pixel 3 phone (with much improved screen) can actually replace the tablet. So, if I had to go off for 18 months, or even 4 weeks, I'd take my Pixel phone, and a lightweight PC notebook. That way I would not have to sacrifice anything, and would not need add-on things that will get lost. I would store everything in Dell urban backpack, and be happy ever after.

For phones and tablets I use Plex while connected to wifi to automatically copy photos and videos to our home PC. I use DropBox and OneDrive as backups if Plex fails for any reason.

I also find the free VPN through our home router (Netgear R7000) to be useful. I set it up to activate automatically when on trips away from home.

Unfortunately, VPN to our home router does not allow simultaneous VPN-remote desktop sessions with iOS, apparently a limitation of iOS. Remote desktop is itself encrypted but if I'm in a location where I'm especially concerned about security I'll go through a commercial VPN before establishing the remote desktop session. (Of course, I always use unique and complex passwords. I also use a nonstandard port for VPN.)

Thanks to everyone for this discussion.

On my XPS13 (which has served me very well) I run the MS office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), FullShot 9.x, TurboTax, Firefox, and Lightroom and Photoshop Elements.

I do all of my financial management in Excel. I also do much of my travel planning in Excel, using it as a note-taking tool.

I always use a VPN, both on the iPad and on the XPS13. I've used TunnelBear for about four years but may change to another provider as I've not been able to log into Netflix to download with the VPN on -- and that is while in the USA! I would definitely want to be able to download "The Crown" where-ever I am .... ;-)

I wish there were a way to test drive the Surface Pro (the latest version being sold at COstco -- 6?) and the iPad Pro without buying them.

A MacBook is not an option: I loathe the Mac operating system. I had a MacBook Air for a year and hated it; fortunately I was able to sell it at minor loss.

Again, thanks for the discussion and advice.

I would imagine that the Surface Pro with MS Office cloud would work well for your business spreadsheets and finances. But not sure about Lightroom and PE, as you might have to go subscription with them. Turbotax needs more research, too.

The problem at this juncture is that many of us have paid version of software on CD, and are losing to the companies which want a monthly fee from the worker/retired bees.

We all must soldier on.

I suspect this must have been the first Surface, the RT. Indeed, this did not run all conventional windows apps. But from Surface 3 onwards, Surfaces have all had the full Windows 10 OS and have run all Windows apps. (Admittedly, something like Photoshop on a Surface 3 was pretty slow, but it did run.)

I use a 2017 Surface Pro 5. It runs Photoshop, Lightroom, and pretty much anything I throw at it. Really, it should be viewed as an ultraportable PC rather than a tablet. Yes, it can be used as a tablet, but if that's all you need, you should probably get an iPad, and accept the limitations of iOS.

My wife had a Surface Pro 2. Not the first version, but not as advanced as the later versions.

I have been using using an Acer One Tab on my recent travels - a 10" Windows 2-in-one tablet that can be used in either tablet mode or (with the supplied keyboard case) laptop mode. I have found this very lightweight and convenient if I need to access a Windows platform when traveling.

Except for our cell phones, I usually leave the electronics at home while traveling. However, I do have a small Lenovo 11.6" laptop with Windows 10. I just weighed it (without the charger) it's 2 pounds, 12 ounces. It's heavier than a tablet, but not much bigger and has a real keyboard (albeit on the small side). I wouldn't want to use it as my main computer, but if you're looking for something small to carry while traveling it's a good option.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-11-6-inch-Performance-Dual-Core-Processor/dp/B01K9HS4Q0

I don't think the N22 model I have is available anymore, but there are plenty of similar small laptops.

Carry a laptop for my wife. I throw a IPAD mini in along with a Kindle Fire. iPad has little memory and don’t want to buy another. Have mobile banking on a couple different devices. Most bills on autopay.

We started frequent post retirement travel with an ipad. Eight years later...we have an ipad each. One mini one regular. That is it. We do not take our phones.

In fifteen-twenty years or more of doing our on line banking while traveling in many parts of the world we have never had a problem with fraud. We do not access our accounts in public but we certainly do in hotel rooms, etc. Same with credit cards. We are spontaneous travelers which means that we are often making reservations etc. for the next few days while in our hotel room using our cards. Our cards have been compromised a few times but always locally. We do take precautions in terms of how much cash we leave in accounts that we need to access while traveling.

Last edited:
We have Lightroom, video editing software, Quicken, Pages (word processing), Numbers (spreadsheet), all on the very compact and light 12 inch MacBook we use for travel. Plus we can import and backup photos and video and our iPhones. It pretty much gives us full functionality. I just have to transfer a few files over from my MacBook Pro and I’m good to go and can keep up with all the financial stuff while traveling.

I do tend to pay off any credit card bills before we leave so no worries about disruption. We don’t access our main bank when overseas but have a couple of other checking accounts and corresponding 0% foreign transaction fee ATM cards. So I don’t have to worry about interference with our autopay bills. Also am generally using a different set of credit cards overseas as we switch to no FTF cards.

Last edited:
Good thread about laptops, travel, and TurboTax. I also get annoyed at Turbotax which is basically a custom spreadsheet with a overly complicated GUI layered on top. Where this application (or just the tax bill due) could be provided by the IRS were it not for successful lobbying efforts. :-( Even at home I found myself upgrading Windows versus using installing Linux mainly due to Turbotax. :-( I am tempted to try paper forms for April 2020, even with various stock sales. Since the standard deduction was increased the filing effort should be simplified.

If I were traveling for 18 months with longish stops along the way, I would not mind carry a laptop for the advantage of having a keyboard, display, and extra processing power. That would "outweigh" the burden of carrying it around between stops. But I would want it to be as lightweight and small as possible.

oK .... suppose I just go with an iPad and figure out how to do my taxes on one or on a tablet. My 2013 iPad has a dying battery so I need to replace it.

(1). IPad or iPad Pro? For. “Non-creative” types whose primary usage would be spreadsheets and taxes, which would be less frustrating?

It's really a tradeoff. The "iPad", that is, the basic model starts at $329 for the 32GB WiFi only model and has a nice 9.7" screen, It even works with the pencil if you want to try that. It's a good iPad, though aimed at the media consumer who wants an affordable iPad.

The iPad Pro starts at $799 for the 64GB WiFI only model and has an 11" screen. It's incrementally better than the basic iPad in almost every way. But then, it's more than twice the price.

For your use there are a couple of important features - the USB-C port may be the most important since with iOS 13 (available in September) you will be able to plug in USB drives (thumb, SSD, even spinning hard drives) and access them. Others include an amazing screen, FaceID, faster processor and more memory to handle the new iOS 13 better.

I'm planning on getting one of these later this year. It's really an amazing iPad.

(2). My complaint about iPads has been file management and getting files off the iPad, given the lack of a USB drive. Not having Mouse connectivity is another issue as I do not do well with touch screens for editing. Can I get around these issues to make an iPad my laptop replacement? Bluetooth mouse?

iOS 13 addresses all this. Actually, they are renaming it iPad OS to emphasize the fact that they are adding a lot to it to make the iPad a true laptop replacement. Yes, it even supports a mouse (USB or Bluetooth), though it's enabled in the accessibility settings, so it's really not meant to be mainstream.

Back
Top Bottom