Emergency Room Costs - alternatives

Many of the hospitals in Chicago have opened up several "Immediate Care" facilities, usually open 12 hours a day, which I think is really smart--frees up their emergency rooms for the life threatening crises and easier to use than calling your doctor's office for the next available appointment when you've whacked your leg with a rock from the lawn mower (the last visit we made to an emergency room). And then you're already in the system if they think you need to get to the hospital. I imagine other urban areas have done the same.

Our insurance copays are $20 for doctor's office, $35 for urgent care (I think "immediate care" would fit this) and $65 for emergency room. We've not had to go beyond the doctor's office visit for a long time.

Our little suburban town has a doctor owned clinic staffed with GPs with on-site x-ray, ultrasound equipment and a small lab. You can make an appointment or just walk in. I've found no difference in wait times, which are usually in the 20 minute range. I tend to use them far more than my big hospital affiliated satellite office, which will quote you a next appointment available time in days, when you really want to see a doctor now.

Back
Top Bottom