End of year strategy for IRA / HSA / taxes

BrianB

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm looking for feedback on my idea to get funding into my HSA, avoid penalties, and avoid quarterly estimated payments.

Background:
- We are over age 55, have no W-2 income, and have an HSA compatible HDHP. Our income consists of a small pension, taxable investment income, and IRA withdrawals. Standard deduction only.
- Projecting ahead our 2018 total income will be $37000, plus any IRA distributions we take between now and 12/31. Target total income is $40000.
- Our estimated tax liability for 2018 is $1600 Federal and $1000 State, based on $40000 total income.
- We have not made any estimated tax payments.

My plan:
- Take a $10000 IRA distribution with 16% ($1600) Federal withholding and 10% ($1000) State withholding and 74% ($7400) net to us. Total income = $47000. The withholding on our distribution should meet our tax liabilities and avoid any penalty for underpayment / lack of quarterly payments.
- Contribute $7000 of that net to our HSA, reducing our total income to $40000. The deduction for the HSA contribution effectively turns most of the taxable IRA distribution into non-taxable HSA money (assuming we use it for medical expenses).
The $400 remaining will pay for a few extras in the Holiday season, or maybe a nice night out to celebrate [-]surviving another year[/-] my financial acumen:cool:.

Will this work? It almost seems too good to be true. Any other ideas I should consider?

Brian

Last edited:
You're over 55, but are you 59.5? If not, how are you avoiding the early withdrawal penalty? There are provisions for taking from a 401K, but not a tIRA, as I understand it.

I would find a way to fund the HSA in almost any case, but I don't know if the math works to take the early withdrawal penalty.

If you have the funds to contribute to an HSA, and have the compatible health insurance plan, it’s a great tax break, lowering the adjusted AGI and MAGI.

OK. Yes, taking money out of your IRA and putting it in your HSA essentially tax free is a very good idea.

Also, you have a lot of room to take 0% LTCGs. I would use that up, unless you are keeping your income low for ACA cost sharing. Another option might be to convert some of your IRA to a Roth at 12% if SS and RMDs will put you in a higher bracket later.

Audrey1: Yes, and the ability to use IRA distributions (taxable) for HSA contributions (deductible, even without earned income) seems to be overlooked and a great way to save on taxes!

RunningBum: Yes we are keeping our income limited for ACA purposes (although I hesitate to say this as some here have issues with that strategy)

Looks exactly like what I plan on doing when I turn 59.5.

Like it was mentioned above, you have a lot of room to take some long term CG at the 0% Federal rate. I see you're from MN, the state taxes long term CG as ordinary income. Many retirees in MN are paying more in state income tax than Federal.

This is amazing, thanks for the post/reminder. I just chose a HSA plan for next year and plan to fund the account using some tax deferred money my wife had as a teacher (available to us penalty free at any age). No tax ever, nice!

Yes, this is a great little tax break which feels like double dipping, but is not. I funded mine through LTCGs and used the HSA credit for some side income/roth conversions so a win/win.

Back
Top Bottom