Equity residential?

Yarnstormer

Recycles dryer sheets
Any thoughts? My financial advisor just called me recommending that I think about selling. I've had it for years...don't know if I need to react right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

No to first it's equity residential stock not actual property
- yes to his wanting to sell me something. I do have cash already tho in that brokerage acct and he was not really suggesting anything to buy. He even suggested that I might leave it in cash for now when I said it wasn't exactly a great time to get deals. He's trying to make a living for sure but he's not terrible about pimping stocks. I have refused his mutual fund offerings before. Horrible turnover rate.

We are in phase two of the property cycle nationwide, there is a supply shortage for at least a few more years, if not ten. Foolish to cash out now, generally, until supply comes online.

So it's like a REIT ?

Has it gone up a lot in value, does it pay a good dividend, would you buy it today ?

those are the kinds of questions I think about when I look at a stock I currently own, as I am slowly moving to more broad based etf's , every now and then I sell of one of my individual stocks.

Any thoughts? My financial advisor just called me recommending that I think about selling. I've had it for years...don't know if I need to react right now.

Equity Residential stock is way down already. As it happens I am listening to their CC right now. It is an excellent, well managed REIT. There has been a real slow down in their leasing in both San Francisco and Manhattan, and this likely explains much of the trouble. Real estate is cyclical. In San Francisco the high tech job growth that stocks these nice apartments has leveled off at best. Also, much new supply has come online.

I would say that your expert is a bit late, and maybe not timely in any way.

If this is along time holding, listen to management presentations, pay attention to property cycles, and for me at least, especially if this is in a taxable account, I would do nothing.

ha

Last edited:
Wow I asked him to consider my assets held elsewhere including a large sum of cash and some index funds and he sent me a prospectus for a "separately managed" account with all kinds of beat the index comparisons!!! Lets keep in mind that my money is mostly inherited and my risk tolerance is moderately aggressive at best.

I'm bummed. Still hanging on to equity residential. It's always paid a nice dividend and my grandfather bought it back in the day :)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Wow I asked him to consider my assets held elsewhere including a large sum of cash and some index funds and he sent me a prospectus for a "separately managed" account with all kinds of beat the index comparisons!!! Lets keep in mind that my money is mostly inherited and my risk tolerance is moderately aggressive at best.

I'm bummed. Still hanging on to equity residential. It's always paid a nice dividend and my grandfather bought it back in the day :)

You should read "A Random Walk Down Wall Street"
Its pretty easy reading and very informative.

How much will your FA charge for managing your accounts ?
When they show funds that beat some index funds, they pick and choose which to show you, as they don't show the loser ones, or the ones they closed. Plus they pick the time frame to show.

Back
Top Bottom