ESPN+ is not the same as ESPN, really?

ocean view

Full time employment: Posting here.
This is mostly a rant…sorry

We’re not a sports family, except for a little college football, so forgive me if I should have known better. A month ago when my Hulu promo expired I decided to sign up for the Disney bundle since most of the college bowl games would be aired on ESPN (plus we wanted the Disney content). I assumed that ESPN+ meant you got ESPN games along some extra content. It’s for those folks who want to watch sports but don’t have cable, right? Wrong.

Today I learned that ESPN, the cable provider, content is not aired or viewable to ESPN+ subscribers. They have separate contracts. So for those of you who are sports people, what is the point of ESPN+?

Fortunately for today’s Peach Bowl, ESPN did unlock the “command center” view, so we can watch the game. I hope they do the same for tomorrow’s Cotton & Orange bowls.

End of rant.

Yep. It’s really not great. I looked at this to watch an NHL game, but found it was easier to get a VPN and watch it from another location.

You are not alone. Found that out today also. Sling has a $10 for first month option that includes ESPN. I think you can cancel within seven days at no cost or before the end of the month to not pay the next month at full price.

Sounds similar to the disconnect between the Discovery channels and Discovery+ (Discovery Plus). At one point early this year, you could only see new shows on Discovery+. Then they added some new shows back to the regular Discovery channels, but those weren't available on Discovery+ on their initial broadcast dates.

ESPN- was what the business people wanted to call it. But marketing had other ideas.

Yep. VERY glad I read the fine print on ESPN+ before signing up for it. What they do with the packaging for it is borderline deceptive.

I was tempted to switch my $0.99 Hulu subscription to the bundle which includes Disney+ and ESPN+, but decided to wait. I guess this discussion confirms it.

ESPN+ is a good deal if you like to watch out of market NHL games.

Someone mentioned Discovery+ and there are similarities. I was on Philo so I noticed the "exclusivity" games being played between cable Discovery and D+.

However, it seems after an exclusive time, everything shows up on D+. So I dropped Philo and went to D+. One problem is sometimes shows are released in bunches, so you can't have water cooler talk. But who cares about that for D+ shows?

Sporting events are different. They are water cooler talk, so time is of the essence.

Seems to be the new model. ESPN finally launched the ACC network. I thought, great, can finally watch all the ACC basketball games. Nope. Now there is ACC network Extra channel. It's a separate cost, online only channel.

Seems to be the new model. ESPN finally launched the ACC network. I thought, great, can finally watch all the ACC basketball games. Nope. Now there is ACC network Extra channel. It's a separate cost, online only channel.

Well, it's a lot of games.

I do like ESPN+ for watching SEC and Big 12 Men's and Women's basketball. It's an excellent tool but it is not ESPN.

Back
Top Bottom