Excel Spreadsheet Circular Reference

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I need some help for this nuisance. I frequently use an Excel Spreadsheet with multiple Tabs. Every time I open the spreadsheet, I get a pop-up notice "Careful, we found one or more circular references in your workbook....." I can then open the spreadsheet with no problem and do whatever I have to do. I've manually searched for any cells with a formula and I can't find any with a circular reference. Any tips how I can identify the miscreant cell?

Thank you both! Your input was what I needed. I found the errant cell (it was a zero field) and once I cleared that all is good again!

I now use Bing Chat to answer software questions instead of stumbling around in the manuals. Here is the answer it gave to the reference error question:
To find the cell that is causing a circular reference error in Excel, follow these steps:

Activate the worksheet that has the circular reference.
Click the Formulas tab.
In the Formula Editing group, click on the Error Checking drop-down icon (little downward pointing arrow at the right).
Hover the cursor over the Circular References option. It will show you the cell that has a circular reference in the worksheet.
Click on the cell address (that is displayed) and it will take you to that cell in the worksheet 12.
I hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom