Experience with free credit monitoring sites?

walkinwood

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just read about Credit Karma and Credit Sesame - both services that provide free credit monitoring.

I couldn't find a thread that spoke about experiences using the sites

Has anyone used them? Would you share your experiences? Are you aware of any issues?

Thanks.

Happy with both. Kind of obsessive about tracking my numbers - they are just indicators of the real FICO score, but useful for tracking trends advised that the Discover and I think Barclays cards are now reporting scores with their monthly statements.

Thanks calmloki.

What about changes to your credit report? ie. someone checking my credit or trying to open an account. Their sites say that they provide alerts. Do you find this easy to access? Are the alerts proactive?

I am on our card's sites quite often, but Credit Sesame in particular is very alert to letting me know when I pay early or get a new card or cancel an old one. Haven't had any evil-doers messing about in our accounts so I could see how they respond, sorry?

I occasionally check out Credit Karma. It doesn't tell me anything I cannot simply guess. For instance, when I take out no-interest no-fee credit card loan, my score goes down. When I pay it off 18 months later, my score goes up. When I pay off my mortgage, my score goes down. When I open a new credit card, my score goes down. After a few months, my score goes up.

It's rather boring. Not much see. Move along.

Oh, you asked another question….

I've had a login at CK for probably at least 5 years. No issues with them. No e-mails, junk mail, nor phone calls … unless they've secretly sold info to "Rachel from card services".

Back
Top Bottom